Class Act...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

A full-time junior hockey player is rich enough to make a $2,500 donation?

I would assume the cheque he wrote was on behalf of the Red Deer Rebels.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
A full-time junior hockey player is rich enough to make a $2,500 donation?

I would assume the cheque he wrote was on behalf of the Red Deer Rebels.

Dion Phaneuf got a big-time signing bonus from the Flames just under the CBA wire.

The kid is loaded.

BCCHL inactive

Bicycle Repairman said:
Dion Phaneuf got a big-time signing bonus from the Flames just under the CBA wire.

The kid is loaded.

I figured that too, but wasn't sure if he got that much of a bonus.

Is he getting lockout pay too?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
I figured that too, but wasn't sure if he got that much of a bonus.

Is he getting lockout pay too?
He doesn't qualify for lockout pay. He wasn't on the roster at the end of last season for starters.

I've read some speculation that Phaneuf got a signing bonus somewhere in the $620,000 - $1.24 million range. At any rate, a $2,500 cheque isn't going to set him back.

EDIT: Corrected figures.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It was a class act, and a wonderful gesture. But I would not be living up to my name if I did not point out that he could have done it annonymously, which would have been an even greater gesture as it would have been entirely without any self-interest. I wonder how many in the NHL did just that, a number I would think. This was pretty good publicity for $2,500.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
It was a class act, and a wonderful gesture. But I would not be living up to my name if I did not point out that he could have done it annonymously, which would have been an even greater gesture as it would have been entirely without any self-interest. I wonder how many in the NHL did just that, a number I would think. This was pretty good publicity for $2,500.
I'm sure the tsunami victims will tut-tut him for not donating quietly. :shakehead

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:

wow, u are jaded.

props to phaneuf. very classy move.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Who cares. Maybe he gave the money to make himself look good, and maybe he gave it to help some unfortunate people out.

Either way the people still get the money.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jaded-Fan said:

I'm usually cynical but I disagreee with you. I think public figures donating "publically" is a wonderful thing, as those people are role models. There have been people dressing up in what amounts to ****ing garbage bags to look like Madonna, so there are certainly people out there who give after they see people they idolize donate to good causes.

I think making stands is one of the good thing a celebrity can do. Donating is part of that and while it does cancel out the more "humble" nature of donating anonymously, the benefits more than make up for it.

Besides, Phaneuf shouldn't give a **** anyway because he, like all athletes, is in a lose-lose situation. I bet you there are several athletes who give anonymously and while they aren't accused of flashing off, they're called greedy bastards.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:

If anything, Hockey's got nothing but bad press over the past year or two. I'm just glad a hockey player is doing something generous. And like Vlad said, celebrities can do a lot when they make public donations.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
There is nothing wrong with donating money publicly.It often encourages others
to do the same.By the way that is one expensive hockey stick .

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
any donation is nice but to me you have to donate quite a hefty percentage sum to qualify as a fantastic gesture.

Dont get me wrong, better to give something rather than nothing but...

say he did get a 1 million signing bonus -- 2500 bucks is not even 1%
(0.25% actually)

now in comparison to say someone making 50,000 per year, all they would have to donate is 125 bucks. How many people have done that and gotten recognized?

Now Hideki Matsui on the other hand donating 481,000 dollars is a story

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Aki Fan said:
any donation is nice but to me you have to donate quite a hefty percentage sum to qualify as a fantastic gesture.
Maybe Dion donates hefty percentages of his signing bonus to other causes? Or maybe he donated more to tsunami victims than this one check? It's pretty cynical of you to assume this is the only charitable donation this young man has made of any type.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
The Maltais Falcon said:
Maybe Dion donates hefty percentages of his signing bonus to other causes? Or maybe he donated more to tsunami victims than this one check? It's pretty cynical of you to assume this is the only charitable donation this young man has made of any type.

I would make the assumption, and assumption it may be, that the story would reference other ones themselves or if he preferred anonymity this story wouldnt come out either.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Aki Fan said:

(0.25% actually)

now in comparison to say someone making 50,000 per year, all they would have to donate is 125 bucks. How many people have done that and gotten recognized?

Michael Schumacher donated 10 million dollars.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Aki Fan said:

(0.25% actually)

A guy does a good thing and all you have to say is "He could've donated more." And to top that off, you then compare his donation to those of someone elses, and use math and percentages to determine how good of a guy he is.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
saillias said:
A guy does a good thing and all you have to say is "He could've donated more." And to top that off, you then compare his donation to those of someone elses, and use math and percentages to determine how good of a guy he is.

Yeah, atleast the kid was willing to donate something...

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I thought it a good thing to do. Phaneuf isn't up for any awards or endorsements and I can see no tangible benefit to him.

I can see though, by making it public that more people might emulate it.

And...let's be nice and keep on topic.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Barnaby said:
You can complain when you donate more.... :teach:

since I dont make a million dollars a year, it would actually be tough for me financially do so -- but I am happy that I donated a higher percentage of my income

I didnt criticize him for doing so, it was more a jab at everyone making a big deal out of it then it actually is

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
saillias said:

exactly - if someone makes 1 million dollars a year and donates 2500 bucks and if someone makes 50000 dollars and donates the same -- which is a bigger sacrifice made? Simple math. 2500 bucks is couch change to a pro athlete and is not a newsworthy story.

But when a pro athlete and especially when the flavor of the month does something it is ground breaking news.

And yes I used math and percentages - a simple idea of numbers will substantiate what I am referring to.

Again I state - great he donated something, better than nothing (somehow that keeps getting lost over "someone is criticizing Dion blah blah blah), but to me this story as almost as overblown as the Pat Tillman = Hero (yes his was b/c he defended his country) more than the janitor/teacher/high school grad that died also but didnt give up millions of dollars to defend his country, so they are lesser heros.

NOTE: Not criticizing Dion or Pat Tillman -- criticizing the media and newsreaders for making it a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad