Clarke and Hextall bond...

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Since Clarke drafted Hextall to be the backstopping goalie for the orange and black way back in 1982,the bond of these two continues for the betterment of the Flyers!
Clarke's trust in Hexy kept Ron with the FLYERS as a scout...then Ron went to LA in a management position,went on to guide the Kings to two Cups....Bobby knew the worth of his Manitoba buddy and hired RH as GM in 2014.
What I'm getting at is....WHO in gods name was responsible for all the drafting and scouting Philly players before Hextall's arrival?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
First off, addressing the question... Before Hexy I'd think that Homer was ultimately responsible for all the Players brought in under his watch... although his Scouts and other people under him as well as Clarke and others over him I'm sure had their input heard.

As I see it, the Flyers did very, very well with their First Round Selections... look at Giroux, Carter, Richards, just to name a few... but they were not as good in subsequent rounds... or in holding onto as may Picks as they should have. Clarke was GM with the Players I listed, but the Flyers as a whole were good at that.

As to the Clarke/Hextall part of the OP... I would think that Homer could be substituted for Clarke as to the parts after the Drafting of Hextall... I believe Clarke was out of the picture during most of that... So was it actually Homer/Hextall that were tied together there?

Last edited:

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
I agree with the scattered #1 rd selections but we haven't hit a homerun like the Detroits or Chicagos in those latter rounds..
With saying that,I think Oskar could be the big outfit!
Cross our fingers!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Just as a side note: Bobby Clarke was a player in 1982 and was not responsible for the drafting of Ron Hextall that year. Clarke became GM following the 1983-84 regular season upon his retirement as a player. Much of the drafting in the early 80s was split between regional scouts but it was the opinion of scout Jerry Melynk that the Flyers select Hextall. IIRC, Hextall was draft eligible in 1981 and left unpicked. Melnyk is also the person who convinced upper management to draft Clarke, the player. The GM at the time of Hextall's selection was Keith Allen.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Just as a side note: Bobby Clarke was a player in 1982 and was not responsible for the drafting of Ron Hextall that year. Clarke became GM following the 1983-84 regular season upon his retirement as a player. Much of the drafting in the early 80s was split between regional scouts but it was the opinion of scout Jerry Melynk that the Flyers select Hextall. IIRC, Hextall was draft eligible in 1981 and left unpicked. Melnyk is also the person who convinced upper management to draft Clarke, the player. The GM at the time of Hextall's selection was Keith Allen.
...Thanks for the correct information on the Hextall draft selection...
Melynk was a valuable cog in the Orange and Black!!!! (Nailing down the heart of the Flyers in Clarke and uncovering a gem in Hexy)
...Two risky signings!

Last edited:

54fightin

Feb 15, 2003
Chester County PA
Visit site
The 1982 and 1983 draft were essential to the success of the Flyers in the mid to late 80s.
The '82 draft yielded Ron Sutter, Hextall, Dave Brown and Miroslav Dvorak. The '83 draft (without a first round pick) conducted by one year GM Bob McCammon gave the Flyers Peter Zezel, Derrick Smith, Rick Tocchet and Pelle Eklund.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
And another thing...How the hell could we contend with no 1st or 2nd rounders for 2009 or 2010?

Well they still had a pretty good team at that point. Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux, Timonen, Hartnell, Coburn, etc. The first rounders in those years were actually moved for something they could get early returns on in Pronger adding to that mix of players above.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Homer headed up scouting for a while. Shoulda stayed there, he's money as a scout.

I presume he is involved with that. If memory serves, he has stated in the past that scouting is what he loved about the job and he had little taste for the rest of it. I was perfectly happy with him being promoted out of the job because it keeps his talent-eye in the organization.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The 1982 and 1983 draft were essential to the success of the Flyers in the mid to late 80s.
The '82 draft yielded Ron Sutter, Hextall, Dave Brown and Miroslav Dvorak. The '83 draft (without a first round pick) conducted by one year GM Bob McCammon gave the Flyers Peter Zezel, Derrick Smith, Rick Tocchet and Pelle Eklund.

Ultimately, the GMs in most situations get the credit and condemnation of draft picks but it is the suggestions of scouts that factor, too. McCammon was coaching the team during much of those years and he relied on others as GMs often do.

McCammon was the person who promoted Gerry Melnyk (mentioned above) to a head scouting role and part of the reason he said at the time was because he wanted a direct voice rather than a table of regional scouts.

Gary Darling was a key man at that time, too, due to McCammon and later held the title of Asst. GM. Keith Allen got bumped to an executive role much in part to placate McCammon who had other job offers.

But one person who was the common denominator with many of those splendid picks was Sam McMaster who was the GM of Rick Tocchet's Junior team and who had done some scouting for McCammon in the OHL.

Pelle Eklund was a find by Ted Sator who again worked for McCammon but was based in Sweden as a head coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad