News Article: Clark Booth: Let’s lay out the issues the dysfunctional Bruins face

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins historian emeritus takes a hard look at his beloved Bruins and writes like only he can.

Let’s lay out the issues the dysfunctional Bruins face

An assessment of where the local pets, the ever-dogged Bruins, stand in the midst of this rumble is thereby obliged. But fair warning: It’s not pretty.

Another caveat! One admits a certain partiality to this team. I saw my first Bruins game in the company of Ace Booth in the memorably harsh winter of 1948-49. We had to trudge down from Arlington Heights, which seemed almost alpine to an undersized ten year old, to catch the trolley and then the subway out of Harvard Square. High adventure for the times. Forget what team they played but seem to recall a couple of kids, Paul Ronty and Johnny Pierson, catching my fancy. Ronty scored the winning goal and when they later dumped him on the Rangers, I was briefly unforgiving.

But it has never been possible to stay mad at the Bruins long. While far from the region’s loudest, richest, most dramatic, or compelling act, they have always seemed the most earnest and amiable.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
"Skittish" is a great adjective for this defense.

Have to agree with him that they've adjusted to the new way of doing things worse than anyone. When they were at their best, they were making the league adjust to them, they carved out physical hockey as their niche and everyone else had to deal with it. Now they want to be everyone else.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Have to agree with him that they've adjusted to the new way of doing things worse than anyone. When they were at their best, they were making the league adjust to them, they carved out physical hockey as their niche and everyone else had to deal with it. Now they want to be everyone else.

I respect Booth's opinion as he has probably seen more Bruins games than any other living person with the exception of Milt Schmidt.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Well said.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well said.

Hard to argue this

• Where has the “Snarl” gone? We understand you can’t pound teams into submission anymore. Never again will Broad Street Bullies be allowed to rampage. The days of wine, roses, and Slapshot are over. More’s the pity. But it is not patty-cake that we’re left with. No team has adjusted more poorly to the new order than the Bruins. It has left them confused. Teams no longer fear the Bruins. They know their fabled edge has abandoned them. It’s evident, night after night, from the puck’s first drop. What was left of the snarl went south with Shawn Thornton.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hard to argue this

he`s on the money about the snarl but truthfully, I can`t think of a team (especially in the East) who has any more or less snarl than the B`s?

Philly perhaps but more dysfunctional

The game as a whole has quickly moved away from what this fan watched even a decade ago where every team employed at least one, and some 2 pure goonies who weren`t sure which end of the stick they were suppose to hold onto but now, with the cap, wasted $$ on a guy who can`t play is going by the wayside

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Hard to argue this

Bruins started to be a softer team because each and every time they were physical, they saw the penalty box. Experts can say everything they want but the numbers are there: Bruins are dead last in PP opportunities and when an opponent hook or trip them, the refs look elsewhere. At some point, you just can't win an hockey if you spend half of a game in the box.

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
We aren't skilled enough to play a finesse game nor big or tough enough to play a heavy game. We are stuck somewhere in between and the results are not pretty. Its as if the orginization has had a philosophical change in how it wants to play the game, but the roster hasn't been properly tooled for and/or adjusted to those changes yet.

Last edited:

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Bang on piece. As I've said, this is on the players and mostly Peter Chiarelli. We shouldn't add right now, if anything, we should be dumping out guys.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Every year is different and this year we must fight for a playoff spot. Personally Im enjoying this year and the adversities we have to overcome. That is what shows the character of a real team.

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles
We aren't skilled enough to play a finesse game nor big or tough enough to play a heavy game. We are stuck somewhere in between and the results are not pretty. Its as if the orginization has had a philosophical change in how it wants to play the game, but the roster hasn't been properly tooled for and/or adjusted to those changes yet.

Spot on

Honestly if they are trying to change "identities" and still contend, I think it will take more than one off season to do so.

Last year we had the best record in the league and arguably a few bounces away from the conference championship.

If we can make the playoffs this year in a "transition year" while management figures out how to ice a great roster I am pleased

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
Bruins started to be a softer team because each and every time they were physical, they saw the penalty box. Experts can say everything they want but the numbers are there: Bruins are dead last in PP opportunities and when an opponent hook or trip them, the refs look elsewhere. At some point, you just can't win an hockey if you spend half of a game in the box.

No recent game better than the one with Toronto to illustrate this. The B's came out with an edge and started to lay the heavy hits that they did in the past. After about 3 Leafs hit the deck and Chara dispensed his 2nd or 3rd hit/push he was sent to the box. From that point on, the team deflated and stopped hitting all together. From my place on the armchair, the zebras put the team right back in its place and let them know clearly that hitting was not going to be tolerated. This team isn't built to play pansy hockey.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It could be just a bad year. If so, do a mini-tank. Sell off a couple players in the off season and gear up for next year. It's a great draft to restock the cupboards.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I admire Booth, and it was a guy like him that made this teenager not go into writing and covering sports because I figured I had no chance with someone so erudite around.

This Bruins team though still has 10-12 spots covered on a championship caliber team, four or more young players I project as regular NHL players, and the ability to restock this team in deep drafts with multiple high draft picks the next two years.

Its not exactly sunshine and happiness, but to me, they are pretty close from a talent standpoint from being very good sooner rather than later. They do need to focus on rounds 3-5 getting tough kids though to me.

Just not ready after over 40 years of watching Boston Bruins that they are screwed. Just don't see it. The glass as far half more full than empty to this guy

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007

Bingo. I don't know if fans thought it would be an overnight transformation or not but I do think this off season personnel will be addressed more regarding this change in playing style whether it be through trades, FA or drafting, it's just whether the patience will be there before those in charge will be fired before they are able to carry out the changes they want to make to carry through their plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad