Clarification of rules regarding tank discussion (ALL USERS MUST READ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
With the topic of whether the Canucks should tank or not proving to be a contentious issue, it's time to clarify some guidelines that everyone here will be expected to follow. At the end of the day, if fans of the Vancouver Canucks are unable to enjoy the Vancouver Canucks board, the board is not serving its purpose.

Effective immediately, the Pro-Tank Thread is specifically for that purpose - pro-tank discussion. Any users opposed to the tank who enter that thread to instigate argument, discussion or - worse - mock them after the team wins a game, will be subject to supplementary discipline including warnings, reply bans and possibly forum bans.

Conversely, GDTs and the Pro-Playoff thread will be reserved for fans who are actively cheering for the Canucks to win their games. Any pro-tank posters who enter those thread to instigate argument, discussion or - worse - mock them after the team loses a game, will be subject to supplementary discipline including warnings, reply bans and possibly forum bans.

We respect that our fanbase has a wide array of users coming from differing backgrounds and sporting unique opinions. Our aim is to respect those differences - we are asking that all of you, the posters on HF Vancouver, respect those differences as well.

If anyone has any concerns about board moderation, please feel free to connect with a member of the moderating team via private message. If you have questions about these guidelines, feel free to reply to this thread with the question so clarity can be given to all.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I thought these were the rules all along, but regardless it's awesome to see them written out so everyone is aware of the standards. Cheers!

These were not the rules before as pro-playoff posters could engage on the topic of tanking in the pro-tank thread. Now, that's not longer the case. The opposite is also true of pro-tank posters going into the pro-playoff thread. This is a 'no go'. The distinction is clear now.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoTeamDom

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Great job. Hopefully it's actually actively enforced now. The gloating and trying to change our moral outlook on tanking in the tank thread was very annoying. Just let us cheer for long term success how we want to. I have no problem if people think the current direction of the team is a good direction. Leave the management thread as a neutral space for disagreements.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
New suggestion: Prosoect/player thread should not another management thread

This is particularly tough as discussion of a player or prospect usually involves how they were acquired, which leads to some discussion around management. If it organically forms part of the conversation, that’s one thing - we can’t (and won’t) remove all references to management in a prospect thread. But if the thread has become derailed by a long series of posts in sequence debating something that is not the topic of the thread, please use the report post feature to alert the moderators so we can review it.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
With the topic of whether the Canucks should tank or not proving to be a contentious issue, it's time to clarify some guidelines that everyone here will be expected to follow. At the end of the day, if fans of the Vancouver Canucks are unable to enjoy the Vancouver Canucks board, the board is not serving its purpose.

Effective immediately, the Pro-Tank Thread is specifically for that purpose - pro-tank discussion. Any users opposed to the tank who enter that thread to instigate argument, discussion or - worse - mock them after the team wins a game, will be subject to supplementary discipline including warnings, reply bans and possibly forum bans.

Conversely, GDTs and the Pro-Playoff thread will be reserved for fans who are actively cheering for the Canucks to win their games. Any pro-tank posters who enter those thread to instigate argument, discussion or - worse - mock them after the team loses a game, will be subject to supplementary discipline including warnings, reply bans and possibly forum bans.

We respect that our fanbase has a wide array of users coming from differing backgrounds and sporting unique opinions. Our aim is to respect those differences - we are asking that all of you, the posters on HF Vancouver, respect those differences as well.

If anyone has any concerns about board moderation, please feel free to connect with a member of the moderating team via private message. If you have questions about these guidelines, feel free to reply to this thread with the question so clarity can be given to all.

Can we add more containment threads instead? I believe part of the reason to take part in a message board is to have discussions with people. They can help you refine your opinion, or alter it, as well as improve your ability to put forward your arguments.

I can understand that these threads generally get derailed, so having a thread for like-minded people to discuss tanking/playoffs, but I think there should be a place to argue as well. Perhaps a Tank vs Playoff thread? I'll make one and if it's against the rules you can remove it, but I genuinely do think people should have the option to take part in these discussions and a Tank vs Playoff thread does deserve its own thread as it has to do with management, players, drafting, teams around the league etc. I think it will prevent other threads from getting derailed.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
These were not the rules before as pro-playoff posters could engage on the topic of tanking in the pro-tank thread. Now, that's not longer the case. The opposite is also true of pro-tank posters going into the pro-playoff thread. This is a 'no go'. The distinction is clear now.
Wait, so now it's based on the poster rather than their behavior? That seems... ill advised. Not everyone falls on a clear side of the line, and it discourages openness to change... not to mention how do you place new or ambiguous users?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wait, so now it's based on the poster rather than their behavior? That seems... ill advised. Not everyone falls on a clear side of the line, and it discourages openness to change... not to mention how do you place new or ambiguous users?

No. The rules are based on the behavior - specifically, people respecting the Site and Board rules that are laid out.

This guideline is fairly cut and dry, and was specifically introduced because people on one side of the argument or the other couldn't seem to help themselves venturing to the other thread to start fighting with the other side. It created an environment that users didn't like, and headaches for the moderating team. This announcement is to make our expectation - and how it will be enforced - clear for all.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
While I think mocking, derogation, or trolling (and those who engage in that) should not enter those threads, I feel this may be going a step too far i.e. blocking the ability to have a healthy and respectful debate on each others views.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
While I think mocking, derogation, or trolling (and those who engage in that) should not enter those threads, I feel this may be going a step too far i.e. blocking the ability to have a healthy and respectful debate on each others views.

The problem is that too much of the former and barely any of the latter was occurring, so we are taking steps to give both sides outlets to cheer for the team in the way they see fit.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Theres many people like myself who wanna cheer for them until we are clearly out, and then join the tank side after.

I just wanna enjoy hockey for as long as I can

Where do we go mostly if we think this way? Thx

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Theres many people like myself who wanna cheer for them until we are clearly out, and then join the tank side after.

I just wanna enjoy hockey for as long as I can

Where do we go mostly if we think this way? Thx

It's not that difficult. If you want to cheer for the team there's a GDT. Us pro-tankers stay away from that. What Mr. C and the mods are trying to cut out are like when you went into the tank thread last year saying "lock it up, no tank this year" and other garbage like that. If you're going to cheer on the team, pretty much any thread that doesn't say "pro tank thread" is for you. If you want to actively cheer against the Canucks, that goes in the pro tank thread.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad