Clarence Campbell and the 1975 Flyers

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Just one quick question. As a lot of us know Campbell openly hated the Flyers style of play. But does anyone have footage of Campbell presenting the 1975 Stanley Cup to the Flyers in a video? I cant find it on youtube. But I was wondering if anyone had some footage of him handing the Cup to them. He apparently doesnt look to happy

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have the 1974 presentation, but you can't see Campbell's face.

I know that the only date he ever rooted for the Flyers to win was January 11, 1976.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
As a lot of us know Campbell openly hated the Flyers style of play.
But he sure liked the fact that they were the league's best road draw, usually selling out arenas more than any other team. The NHLs position on the Flyers was somewhat two-faced: saying all the politically-correct anti-violence statements, but not actually doing anything about it.

flyershistory

No video - just this picture

hm005b.jpg

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Yes, but you only told part of the story.

It's true that the Flyers of the 70's attracted a special 'niche' of fan and their road games did mean higher attendance is a number of U.S. cities (not Canada).

When other teams visited those same cities, attendance was lower - not bad but that 'niche' of fans did not attend.

But far from being happy (I have no idea where you got that from), Campbell had a problem. It made some sense that if all the teams played like the Flyers and their brutal methods, that those niche fans would come back for the other games.

There were 3 things that brought the NHL to their senses:

1. Having such a league with Flyer clones was not sustainable - the violence would escalate, it would lessen the skill level and it would be suicide for the NHL.

2. Those 'niche' of fans were not the type of corporate or otherwise season ticket buying fans.

3. By that time, there was tremendous pressure politically and from the courts in Canada to reign in the violence.

If Campbell says anywhere that he liked how the Flyers were bringing in fans, I would really like to see it. Even Campbell realized that hockey couldn't grow that way - it was actually counterproductive.

But he sure liked the fact that they were the league's best road draw, usually selling out arenas more than any other team. The NHLs position on the Flyers was somewhat two-faced: saying all the politically-correct anti-violence statements, but not actually doing anything about it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Just one quick question. As a lot of us know Campbell openly hated the Flyers style of play. But does anyone have footage of Campbell presenting the 1975 Stanley Cup to the Flyers in a video? I cant find it on youtube. But I was wondering if anyone had some footage of him handing the Cup to them. He apparently doesnt look to happy

The game and on-ice celebration is part of the Flyers recently released 10-DVD Greatest Games set. Whatever he said to the players during the ceremony was a series of brief responses at best; an odd smile here and there, too, for the flashing cameras.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
But far from being happy (I have no idea where you got that from), Campbell had a problem. It made some sense that if all the teams played like the Flyers and their brutal methods, that those niche fans would come back for the other games.

This topic was touched on a few months back on the hockhist group on yahoo. No, I don't have proof that Campbell was happy about ticket sales for Flyers games, but considering how bad attendance usually was in some American cities, I don't think they were upset about it. Actions speak louder than words. The bottom line is that the NHL did nothing about the Flyers tactics at the time. Maybe I should put the blame for that on the owners more than Campbell (he worked for them).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->