CL Round of 8

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have a hard time seeing Liverpool beating City or Bayern. Not saying they can’t but I feel like that defense is going to cost them. Yes they’ve been better but is it good enough to defend two top 5 (in my opinion top 3) attack’s?
No doubt Liverpool are going to be the underdogs from this point on in any match-up, but their style matches up well against all the remaining teams and they have the quality up front to hurt any of them. They've already beat City this season and Klopp has done well against Pep since he moved to City as mentioned above. If they can beat City they can certainly beat any of the other remaining teams (IMO).

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Did you expect anything else?

I have a hard time seeing Liverpool beating City or Bayern. Not saying they can’t but I feel like that defense is going to cost them. Yes they’ve been better but is it good enough to defend two top 5 (in my opinion top 3) attack’s?

They already beat City not so long ago, and that was without VVD - game was 4-1 with like 5 minutes to go (ended 4-3).

I mean, City are favorites - but I don't think Liverpool going through would surprise anyone.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Liverpool can advance if they don't allow any away goals in the first leg. If they do it'll be really tough. Reminds me a bit of when Liverpool and Chelsea had their shoot out a couple of years ago.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Has anyone seen the updated 'UEFA Team of the 21st Century'? Kind of interesting.

Ronaldo - Henry - Messi
Iniesta - Xavi - Gerrard
Lahm - Pique - Puyol - Ramos
Casillas​

Doubt people will agree with it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Prime Gerrard was a better player than Busquets, yes. Don't think that's a midfield 3 that would work as well as Iniesta/Busquets/Xavi though. But I'm not sure they're going for team building here as much as they are just the best players.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Has anyone seen the updated 'UEFA Team of the 21st Century'? Kind of interesting.

Ronaldo - Henry - Messi
Iniesta - Xavi - Gerrard
Lahm - Pique - Puyol - Ramos
Casillas​

Doubt people will agree with it.

Pique is the main one I don’t agree with. He’s good but there’s other CB’s that played in the 21sf century that are for sure better than him.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Also Buffon should be in goal no questions. Casillas was great don’t get me wrong, but Buffon might just be the greatest goalie of all time.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Kaka over Henry for his 2007 performances alone.
Busquets over Gerrard.
Ashley Cole at LB, Alves at RB.
Buffon as GK.
Ramos over Pique at CB

Those are the changes I'd make.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Not really. Biscuits revolutionized the DM playing style. It's a no brainer to include him.

They should both be in.

Henry
Ronaldo-Gerrard-Messi
Busquets-Xavi
Cole-Nesta-Puyol-Alves
Casillas​

I have literally nothing against anyone I omitted, but I have to include Gerrard. He carried a team to the CL Final two times and they won it once because of him. When he played in attacking midfield it wasn't only the occasional goal, it was much more than that, there were countless dominant performances. If he'd left Liverpool he would be a no brainer for this list. If you take him out then I'd put Ronaldinho in. Or Del Piero.

Whoops I forgot someone and had to edit. How the f*** is Nesta not in this.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Still no to Gerrard. The best teams in Europe weren't nearly as good or as dedicated to the Champions League when Liverpool last went to the finals.
Ronaldinho-Henry-Messi
Iniesta-Xavi
Busquets
Lahm-Thiago Silva-Nesta-Alves
Neuer​

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Buffon never won CL. Automatic disqualification in my book.

Meh. I guess, wouldn’t really count it against him since he’s never been the reason they’ve lost a CL. He’s clearly better than those two IMO so I don’t think that should be that big a factor in ranking them.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Buffon at his best was not as good as Neuer but for a new millennium team I almost put him in simply because he has been fantastic over the entire window pretty much. I would also put him over Casillas.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That AC Milan team that Gerrard won MotM against in a very improbable comeback was stacked from top to bottom. Ridiculous assertions ITT.

Hummmmm.....if I were picking it:

Ronaldo
Ronaldinho - Iniesta - Messi
Xavi - Gerrard
Maldini - Nesta - Puyol - Lahm
Casillas​

Still no to Gerrard. The best teams in Europe weren't nearly as good or as dedicated to the Champions League when Liverpool last went to the finals.
Ronaldinho-Henry-Messi
Iniesta-Xavi
Busquets
Lahm-Thiago Silva-Nesta-Alves
Neuer​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad