GWT: CL Matchweek 3

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Ox is also recovering from an extremely serious injury. Pulisic did play well today but I wanted to bring up that people for some reason think Ox is an average player. I have no idea why they think that.

One of the big problems with Ox and why I wasn't particularly sad to see him go is that he's always recovering from a serious injury. Also he used to frustrate me a lot by making fancy runs and then turning braindead as soon as he got close to the net. Haven't really watched him play for Liverpool so I don't know whether the latter part still applies, but his injury record has certainly not improved (and Arsenal used to have lots of injury problems in general so there was a chance that it might have). No ill will towards him though, hope he continues to do well.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Bad week for Belgian teams with both Brugge and Genk getting roughed up at home

Although I think Brugge could have done better, they were pretty even to PSG until Mbappe came on in the second half, and our coach subbed on forward for a holding midfielder, suddenly we were wide open and Mbappe sliced us up. Genk on the other hand was just clearly overmatched, they are rebuilding after losing their best players and just aren't at the same level they were last year when they won the league. Not that they might have beaten Liverpool but it would have been way closer than it was last night.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ox doesn’t really get close to the net. He shoots or makes a final pass way before that now. From top of the box or even further away.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Ox is a better player than Pulisic but comparing them statistically isn't going to show you much given that Ox with Liverpool primarily plays as a central midfielder and an auxiliary attacking option. They're very different players.

Wasn't Pulisic lined up against Dest? Dest has been absolutely awful defensively against any decent attackers. Either way I don't get why people immediately classify someone who doesn't rate a player as a 'hater' anyway. I can only speak for myself but I don't recall many if any people saying Pulisic was a bad player; only that he was overhyped and not as good as some people make him out to be. Prefering other players to him doesn't amount to hating IMO.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think Ox is a better player than Pulisic but comparing them statistically isn't going to show you much given that Ox with Liverpool primarily plays as a central midfielder and an auxiliary attacking option. They're very different players.

Wasn't Pulisic lined up against Dest? Dest has been absolutely awful defensively against any decent attackers. Either way I don't get why people immediately classify someone who doesn't rate a player as a 'hater' anyway. I can only speak for myself but I don't recall many if any people saying Pulisic was a bad player; only that he was overhyped and not as good as some people make him out to be. Prefering other players to him doesn't amount to hating IMO.

That's also system dependent. CMs in Klopp's system aren't supposed to usually be making deep forward runs. That's primarily by the front 3 in the middle and the fullbacks out wide.

Sure it happens sometimes, but in general midfields are expected to support, press, and distribute instead of being directly involved in runs into the box.

In Chelsea's system it's very different and Pulisic is expected to get forward a *lot* more.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That's also system dependent. CMs in Klopp's system aren't supposed to usually be making deep forward runs. That's primarily by the front 3 in the middle and the fullbacks out wide.

Sure it happens sometimes, but in general midfields are expected to support, press, and distribute instead of being directly involved in runs into the box.

In Chelsea's system it's very different and Pulisic is expected to get forward a *lot* more.
Pulisic and Oxlaide-Chamberlain don't even play the same position or role, so how was this a comparison anyone is making?

Pulisic is expected to get forward a lot because he's mostly played as a winger with some time as an attacking midfielder. He hasn't played deeper at all, and nor do I expect him to. What he is expected to do, as every player on Chelsea has been, is to move around a lot to support quick passing plays when we have the ball, and aggressively press to take away passing options when we don't have the ball.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
A lot of unhappy Ajax fans today with the way the game was officiated. Feeling very 'screwed over'.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
At Arsenal Ox was definitely being square pegged a lot, though I think neither where Wenger wanted him nor where he himself wanted to be were ideal, so due credit to Klopp if he's found a place to put him to best use

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
A lot of unhappy Ajax fans today with the way the game was officiated. Feeling very 'screwed over'.

I was in Boston and NY these past few days so I missed all football. My friends were totally upset about it and they are usually very realistic. Said Ajax were robbed of a clear onside goal and should've gotten a penalty near the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->