GWT: CL Matchweek 2

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not empty rhetoric at all, I literally gave you the stats which show that Willian, Pedro, Mount, CHO, and even Barkley have been better for the system that Chelsea is playing.

This is hilarious. You threw some underlying stats at me and then tried to distort statistical information. Yes, every team wants players who have good underlying attacking stats, they also want players who have good regular stats. There was no analysis of the system. Until you can explain why, its empty rhetoric. If you don't want to explain in detail why they know the system better, why they fit the system better, why they train better, all these types of empty claims we've heard and a lot of which you've backed, you are just wasting everyone's time. I'll give you one last time to explain this, and then I'll just stop asking and conclude you know you can't explain it.

And even to respond to your underlying stats, which I guess you'll say qualifies as analysis of why he doesn't fit the system as well as these players. Pulisic is near the top of dribbles completed every year in Europe, he also has good passing completion % nearly every year. Dribbling and combination play are probably the two areas he's best at, and are areas there aren't that many better players better at who play the winger positions in Europe. If he needs to improve, its in other areas, so if you are going to attempt to say Chelsea strongly emphasizes those areas (which every team in Europe emphasizes, so nothing revolutionary), and that he's not good enough at them, you evidently don't know what you are saying.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
143 games in the squad at Borussia Dortmund during his career there, started 78. Thats 55% of the games. We have to take into account that he only started 22% of games in his first season at age 17, so that number went up substantially the last few years. And then you have to take into account that no one starts 100% of the games at a top team anymore, there's always rotation. Sounds like a starter to me.

Or would Dortmund not be a top six club in England?
Different times, so it is tough t co compare on that basis. The overall quality of the PL in England have never been higher. We just saw 2 all English finals in Europe. I would say Dortmund would be the 6th best team in England last year, behind Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.

On a player to player basis, Pulisic wouldn't start on the top 6 teams. IMO. Maybe over Daniel James at Utd, but even then he's been one of Utd's best players this season.

Reactions: AB13

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Different times, so it is tough t co compare on that basis. The overall quality of the PL in England have never been higher. We just saw 2 all English finals in Europe. I would say Dortmund would be the 6th best team in England last year, behind Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.

England's weak this year after those top two teams.

Spurs lost 7-2 to Bayern Munich. Arsenal and Man United were fielding Carabao Cup sides in their game on Monday, except it was a Premier League game. They weren't resting their starters, those are their starters. The Premier League is so weak after team 3 this year that Leicester, West Ham and Everton might have a chance to get into the top six.

And before any of you EPL fans get mad, I think the league won't lose much this year because those top two teams are two of the 3-4 best teams on the continent, but the depth after the title challengers is exceptionally weak in the Premier League this year.

91Fedorov91

Apr 20, 2016
California
TNT has horrible coverage of the CL. Whats the deal with them only showing highlights of one other game at half time? Also why is there no english language channel carrying Europa League games?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
England's weak this year after those top two teams.

Spurs lost 7-2 to Bayern Munich. Arsenal and Man United were fielding Carabao Cup sides in their game on Monday, except it was a Premier League game. They weren't resting their starters, those are their starters. The Premier League is so weak after team 3 this year that Leicester, West Ham and Everton might have a chance to get into the top six.
Arsenal and Utd had injuries to their front three. Lacazette and Martial would never be dropped for Pulisic.

Pulisic is not better than Alli, Son, Lucas at Spurs. It is evident that he is not chosen for big matches for Chelsea. LFC he could be a bench option, but maybe behind Shaqiri/Ox in the pecking order. And he wouldn't crack City's bench I think.

Reactions: KJS14 and AB13

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you say so, it must be true. Players all of a sudden suck when a neophyte coach benches them for his own reasons. Let's see what you'll be saying later in the season.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
If you say so, it must be true. Players all of a sudden suck when a neophyte coach benches them for his own reasons. Let's see what you'll be saying later in the season.
I'll preface this by saying I have no opinion on Pulisic.

But Klopp benched Fabinho – who now looks world-class at his position – at the start of last season. What was Klopp?

Does Klopp get a pass for benching his newly-signed player while Lampard does not?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Moving on.

u54htw5327q31.jpg

Memphis played the least of these 5 IIRC.

Reactions: Ajacied

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'll preface this by saying I have no opinion on Pulisic.

But Klopp benched Fabinho – who now looks world-class at his position – at the start of last season. What was Klopp?

Does Klopp get a pass for benching his newly-signed player while Lampard does not?

Did I say he does? I'd question any coach if I thought the decision was bad. They don't monopolize the correct decisions.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This is hilarious. You threw some underlying stats at me and then tried to distort statistical information. Yes, every team wants players who have good underlying attacking stats, they also want players who have good regular stats. There was no analysis of the system. Until you can explain why, its empty rhetoric. If you don't want to explain in detail why they know the system better, why they fit the system better, why they train better, all these types of empty claims we've heard and a lot of which you've backed, you are just wasting everyone's time. I'll give you one last time to explain this, and then I'll just stop asking and conclude you know you can't explain it.

And even to respond to your underlying stats, which I guess you'll say qualifies as analysis of why he doesn't fit the system as well as these players. Pulisic is near the top of dribbles completed every year in Europe, he also has good passing completion % nearly every year. Dribbling and combination play are probably the two areas he's best at, and are areas there aren't that many better players better at who play the winger positions in Europe. If he needs to improve, its in other areas, so if you are going to attempt to say Chelsea strongly emphasizes those areas (which every team in Europe emphasizes, so nothing revolutionary), and that he's not good enough at them, you evidently don't know what you are saying.
Dribbling and passing percentage are not stats I posted. Tough to take you seriously when you don't even reply to what I actually said.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Did I say he does? I'd question any coach if I thought the decision was bad. They don't monopolize the correct decisions.
You did not say he does. I was asking for your opinion.

Is it possible that Lampard is easing his newly-signed player into the squad like Klopp was with Fabinho?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Lol I think Pavel Buchnevich could really use a period of introspection as to why literally everywhere you post on this site conflict and recriminations follow. Hint: it's not everyone else. It's you.

And yes, we're all well aware you're not worried about HF credibility. The evidence is 99% of your posts.

Still, nothing will outdo you throwing a tantrum and demanding an apology from HFDevils on the prospect board.

Reactions: Ivan13

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Moving on.

u54htw5327q31.jpg

Memphis played the least of these 5 IIRC.

Tadic has been nothing short of stellar since joining Ajax. Can't imagine Ziyech (and van de Beek) to be much lower on that list, either. The entire team has been impressive this season once again, beating Lille and Valencia with 3-0 each while scoring beauty goals and with an offensive flow few teams have shown at all since last season's CL campaign. I don't see them reaching the doorstep of the Final again, mostly because their focus on offense leaves a lot to be desired defensively, but I feel they are still very much underrated in Europe.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol I think Pavel Buchnevich could really use a period of introspection as to why literally everywhere you post on this site conflict and recriminations follow. Hint: it's not everyone else. It's you.

And yes, we're all well aware you're not worried about HF credibility. The evidence is 99% of your posts.

Still, nothing will outdo you throwing a tantrum and demanding an apology from HFDevils on the prospect board.

I get it. You are still mad about my Haller comment from the summer. I remember how offended you got about something that had more to do with the larger theme of the non-top 6 EPL clubs than West Ham, but you took it and ran with it. That was one of the weirder interactions I've had on this website. It was unbelievable how offended you got over something so tame in nature.

You've posted a few rude comments my way since then. Can you stop? I'm not remotely entertained by your bait. You shouldn't hold grudges against strangers on the internet about sporting discussions. Talk about needing a period of introspection.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I get it. You are still mad about my Haller comment from the summer. I remember how offended you got about something that had more to do with the larger theme of the non-top 6 EPL clubs than West Ham, but you took it and ran with it. That was one of the weirder interactions I've had on this website. It was unbelievable how offended you got over something so tame in nature.

You've posted a few rude comments my way since then. Can you stop? I'm not remotely entertained by your bait. You shouldn't hold grudges against strangers on the internet about sporting discussions. Talk about needing a period of introspection.
This post set against the last three pages of your incessant whining, accusations of bias, and generally mindless lashing out, is one of the more astounding and comical case studies in the absence of self-awareness I think I've ever seen. The absolute shamelessness of publically demanding an apology from people on the internet, to then turn around and make your own accusations of hyper-sensitivity...I mean, just breathtaking.

I 1,000% saw it coming of course, and yet somehow, it still jolts the system. The life you must lead outside of this site. Amazing.

Reactions: Ivan13

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Fair. Going from the Bundesliga to PL is a big up in competition/quality, so it will naturally take time to adjust as well. Would be surprised to see him not picked 5 months from now.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This post set against the last three pages of your incessant whining, accusations of bias, and generally mindless lashing out, is one of the more astounding and comical case studies in the absence of self-awareness I think I've ever seen. The absolute shamelessness of publically demanding an apology from people on the internet, to then turn around and make your own accusations of hyper-sensitivity...I mean, just breathtaking.

I 1,000% saw it coming of course, and yet somehow, it still jolts the system. The life you must lead outside of this site. Amazing.

He's already figured us out, but it's OK, we'll all discuss our next tactics at our Anti-America Conspiracy Meeting next week

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think he's doing a good job but I don't really get why that video is going viral. It's not really anything crazy or exceptional. For me it almost borders on cringy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad