GWT: CL Match Week 6

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wow, wouldn't have expected that result with that lineup. Inter weren't full strength either, but much closer to it than we were. Good to see that most of the starters got a rest.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
That's not being fair.

It is a fair point when you look at the Conte aspect of it.

I was shocked tbh. However this will only help them in the league. Which isn’t good for you guys/girls :)

They still have Europa, but with Conte who knows how long that with last. They have a better chance of winning Serie A than winning in Europe with him. I still have nightmares....

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Liverpool will be able to play

Real Madrid
Shakhtar, Dinamo, or Atalanta
Atletico or Bayer
Dortmund
Lyon

The only one of those I don't want is Atletico. They're good enough at neutralizing the game and making it boring that such a tie could present an issue.

It's not likely because I don't expect Atletico to bottle at home to Lokomotiv, but it would be kinda funny at this point if they did crash out after building a 7-point lead on Leverkusen. Something just isn't right about them since Antoine left. We talk about systems and interchangeable parts...maybe Griezmann really was that vital towards their success in a way that other players, at least as of right now, can't measure up to.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Not if we don't get knocked out of the Europa League ASAP. 3rd place is the worst of both worlds because you don't advance in the CL but still get hit with fixture congestion from a competition you want nothing to do with. As much as advancing in the CL would've hurt a Scudetto push (simply because Inter don't have sufficient depth to wage a two-front battle), you take it because it's the CL, anything can happen, and it's prestige and CL revenue. Europa League? Play the primavera and ditch it immediately.

It's kinda funny for me to think back on Milan disqualifying themselves from the UEL before the season as a way of trying to, I dunno, lessen their eventual UEFA punishment. Milan had no chance of winning that competition this season, it's not a competition they would want to play in, and it would've just clogged their schedule. There was nothing altruistic about it. They wanted out of it because it was more beneficial to them to not play in it. Plain as day.
And did it help them?

I just have to laugh when I often read nonsense like this. A lot of teams fail in their leagues even when they are not in Europe and a lot of teams still have success when going deep in European Cups all the time.

How are Wolves doing this year? How are Gladbach doing? Do your research you will see that these days players are in such great shape, travel is easier and the guys want to play in the big competitions.

At the end of each year it balances out so excuses are for losers.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
That's also not at all why Milan opted out of the Europa League this year lmao. They opted out this year because they were offered a choice between this year or next, and they (rightfully) figured best to just give up Europa League than to risk having to give up the UCL the next year.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool will be able to play

Real Madrid
Shakhtar, Dinamo, or Atalanta
Atletico or Bayer
Dortmund
Lyon

The only one of those I don't want is Atletico. They're good enough at neutralizing the game and making it boring that such a tie could present an issue.

Obviously, it really doesn't matter for Liverpool. With half of it at Anfield, being the defending champs, they should be favorites in any situation.

that said, I would prefer not to play Dortmund or Atletico, just because I think they're the best of what's possible. I think Dortmund, with their attacking ability, could present a problem for any side, especially if Liverpool have some issues in central defense with injuries, or holding midfield (where Fabinho might still be out as well). I think it could be tricky.

As for Atletico, they've got enough of a defense that it could play some problem. But I think Liverpool should still be ok.

You never know with Real Madrid, even if they're not what they were.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
UEFA is trying to figure out how to get Man City to draw the Group C runner-up in the Round of 16.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Club Brugge qualify for the knockout stage of the Youth League, the goalkeeper scored the tying goal against Real Madrid in the 95th minute :D

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The way the City goal fell couldn’t happen to a “nicer” club than Dinamo who will now bitch about fair play :laugh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why though? Your conspiracy theories are tiresome.
No conspiracy theory necessarily. But I would advise you to look at the draws that City have been getting under recent Pep history. Not even Ferguson had that kind of “luck”. Usually gets among the easiest of teams.

see here:

And add Port Vale to this list

of the Better teams of the list, this was Leicester pre-Rodgers and Chelsea while they were trying to get Sarri fired.

not saying it’s a conspiracy theory but as Jeff Goldblum would say, City “uhhh finds a way”

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Also against the run of play and right after Atalanta should have gotten a red card, but didn't

And now Shakhtar has a man sent off. Straight red for Dôdo

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Pasalic :thumbu:

Atalanta advance despite losing the first three games in this group. Dinamo have themselves to blame after throwing away a two goal lead late to Shakhtar

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Atalanta in the draw would be really interesting. Would be crazy to have all “Big 5” League teams only.

yep looks that’s the case but Ajax and Shakhtar screwed up at home. The Russian sides have definitely regressed the last few years and the Turk champs are usually hit or miss in this competition. Maybe Salzburg if they got a softer group would have challenged

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
yep looks that’s the case but Ajax and Shakhtar screwed up at home. The Russian sides have definitely regressed the last few years and the Turk champs are usually hit or miss in this competition. Maybe Salzburg if they got a softer group would have challenged

Ajax is out because they got screwed by officiating.

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad