GWT: CL Match Day 6

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not very impressed by PSG in the group stages. For the amount of money they put in that group recruiting world class players, their project overall continues to be a bit of a mess in Europe. I would definitely favor all the English teams (except Utd) and Spanish teams remaining in the competition ahead of them. They won a tough group yes, but still I didn't like their performances.
They just won a group with the last UCL finalist and current EPL leader, as well as the second italian team and they don't impress you?

All right.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, you might not be one of those, but many have derided those same achievements of Liverpool. We also know how well Napoli sometimes plays in Europe.

I think it's fair to say they didn't look very impressive in the groups (even if it was a tougher group). Liverpool did not look great either for what it's worth.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is he though? He's still doing his job, he's just not scoring much. Like his career number suggest.
He's playing a lot further back most of the time this season instead of actually playing at striker. Even though he always dropped deep and worked hard as a striker last season he doesn't have the same role. Salah has been playing centrally most of the time actually as our main striker.

Firmino has been good, not as good as last season, but still a top player. Even yesterday the way he was linking the play from midfield by dropping into space and harrying the other team was part of why they couldn't create anything and Liverpool were opening them up so easily.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean, you might not be one of those, but many have derided those same achievements of Liverpool. We also know how well Napoli sometimes plays in Europe.

I think it's fair to say they didn't look very impressive in the groups (even if it was a tougher group). Liverpool did not look great either for what it's worth.
All 3 teams didn't look great at some point.
But which team looked great in every game?
Fact is it was the toughest group by a mile and PSG won it. To say now that they're not impressive is laughable.
Which team was more impressive in their CL results? Teams that beat up Young Boys or Benfica?

You have a lot more chances to look "not great" when you face quality teams that small teams you'll detroy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fact is it was the toughest group by a mile and PSG won it. To say now that they're not impressive is laughable.
Which team was more impressive in their CL results? Teams that beat up Young Boys or Benfica?

You have a lot more chances to look "not great" when you face quality teams that small teams you'll detroy.
LFC beat PSG on Aggregate 4-3 though :p

All kidding aside I agree with this. It's a shame for Napoli, they would have advanced in every other group. PSG and Liverpool are easily among the top 5-7 teams in the world and Napoli is easily in the 10-12 range. As always it will depend on the draw, but LFC and PSG shouldn't really be fearing anyone next round. None of the group Winners will be happy to get Liverpool either.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

The teams they played did play a part in who looked good and who didn't. I would also say that with Napoli and PSG having new managers, and then Liverpool working on a new system, it did impact a lot of what we saw in performances.

I think, and I certainly think it's more than fair to do so, that part of the trouble with giving a ton of credit to PSG is related to the amount they spend, and the level of quality they have. They have more money than any club, they have two or three of the best players in the world right now (probably another 2-3 of the top 15-20), and they shouldn't really struggle to go through. (edit, I don't know if struggle is the right word, but they definitely made it harder than it should have been, tough group or no) They made it, they won the group, and that's what matters, but I don't think they played to what they are capable of. I certainly think that's a bit overblown, as no one will care that they didn't play well if they win the title, but did their group play or past history give you any faith that this year is different?

I do think Liverpool messing up and not winning the group through mistakes is a bigger story, considering they should have done better.

I also think some of the trouble is that going to Red Star is a lot harder than people think and give credit. Napoli is also tough to play against at home.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Would love for United to somehow top the group today, would make the draw significantly easier as they'd be (likely) drawing from Roma, Lyon, Ajax, Schalke, and Atletico versus Dortmund, Barca, PSG, Porto, Bayern, or Madrid

I doubt it'll happen though. They likely won't even win, nevermind Juve losing.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Would love for United to somehow top the group today, would make the draw significantly easier as they'd be (likely) drawing from Roma, Lyon, Ajax, Schalke, and Atletico versus Dortmund, Barca, PSG, Porto, Bayern, or Madrid

I doubt it'll happen though. They likely won't even win, nevermind Juve losing.

You don't want to see United get beat by Barca on a 13-1 aggregate and listen to Jose whine on about if he was allowed to get Perisic and Alderweireld it could have been so different?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The teams they played did play a part in who looked good and who didn't. I would also say that with Napoli and PSG having new managers, and then Liverpool working on a new system, it did impact a lot of what we saw in performances.

I think, and I certainly think it's more than fair to do so, that part of the trouble with giving a ton of credit to PSG is related to the amount they spend, and the level of quality they have. They have more money than any club, they have two or three of the best players in the world right now (probably another 2-3 of the top 15-20), and they shouldn't really struggle to go through. (edit, I don't know if struggle is the right word, but they definitely made it harder than it should have been, tough group or no) They made it, they won the group, and that's what matters, but I don't think they played to what they are capable of. I certainly think that's a bit overblown, as no one will care that they didn't play well if they win the title, but did their group play or past history give you any faith that this year is different?

I do think Liverpool messing up and not winning the group through mistakes is a bigger story, considering they should have done better.

I also think some of the trouble is that going to Red Star is a lot harder than people think and give credit. Napoli is also tough to play against at home.
I don't think any team would breeze through such a group. Especially as you said with a new manager (PSG will only get better as I pointed out after the original loss).
Heck, City lost to Lyon on agg. And they're spending more than anyone.

Also the part about spending. PSG built itself from pretty much scratch. They had to spend to be relevant. I'll say it again, they have very rarely overpaid for anyone.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think any team would breeze through such a group. Especially as you said with a new manager (PSG will only get better as I pointed out after the original loss).
Heck, City lost to Lyon on agg. And they're spending more than anyone.

Also the part about spending. PSG built itself from pretty much scratch. They had to spend to be relevant. I'll say it again, they have very rarely overpaid for anyone.

So did City...I will say this though PSG rarely bought the wrong type of player. Not so much as not over paying for anyone. Because in this market everyone is over paying.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So did City...I will say this though PSG rarely bought the wrong type of player. Not so much as not over paying for anyone. Because in this market everyone is over paying.

If everyone's overpaying in the market, then the market is a new market and no one is overpaying.

headexplodes.gif

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Liverpool starting to run short on options at CB. VVD and Lovren can't get injured during this six week period. Good thing there is about two months until r16 since VVD will miss the first leg

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Nope, still over paying once the market resets people will look back and think WTF. Dembele went for 100 million

I mean, people will say that but it doesn't mean it makes any more sense than saying "Wow how did Inter get Ronaldo for only 19M"

If the market is inflated, it's still the market. Teams can't exactly choose to sit it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad