GWT: CL Match Day 3

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yep...still a little shaky in the early going but nice to see him start to find his feet. Now, it was against one of the worst teams we'll play this season but any confidence or indication that he's going to start becoming what he was hyped before coming over is good. Right now the 4-2-3-1 with Shaqiri/Salah/Firmino/Mane playing as a fluid front 4 essentially is a pretty good option against defensive teams as Wijnaldum and Fabinho are great as a double pivot if this form holds.
I thought shaqiri sucks

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I thought shaqiri sucks
Were those my words? Thought I just didn't want to sign him because I felt like Wilson should get those minutes. Either way he's had a couple good games now and won me over in pre-season when I got to see his overhead from about 15 feet away against United. I'm happy to eat crow in a situation like this if he continues to perform.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Problem is who do you start up top. Rashford isn't in amazing form either.

I guess you could sit Martial up there, but I think he's far more effective out wide.

I would go

Martial-Sanchez-Rashford as the front 3. Rashford and Martial play better in fluid, counter attacking type roles anyway.

Sanchez drops often to get the ball, and in the middle he'll have more freedom. When he drops Rashford/Martial can move inward creating a 4-4-2 diamond at times.

Might as well try it. Can't be worse than the current status quo.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I would go

Martial-Sanchez-Rashford as the front 3. Rashford and Martial play better in fluid, counter attacking type roles anyway.

Sanchez drops often to get the ball, and in the middle he'll have more freedom. When he drops Rashford/Martial can move inward creating a 4-4-2 diamond at times.

Might as well try it. Can't be worse than the current status quo.

I'm skeptical of that working outside of transition, but the "can't be worse" point is fair.

Who'd would you put as the 3rd/4th midfielder. I'd assume you'd have Matic as a more CM dropping to DM in the 4-4-2 diamond, Pogba playing more wide although with freedom to reign. So you'd be looking for someone to more frequently play a right side midfielder, I think Mata would end up getting in the way of the front three, so maybe someone like Herrera or maybe Fellaini to replace some of the size of Lukaku.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm skeptical of that working outside of transition, but the "can't be worse" point is fair.

Who'd would you put as the 3rd/4th midfielder. I'd assume you'd have Matic as a more CM dropping to DM in the 4-4-2 diamond, Pogba playing more wide although with freedom to reign. So you'd be looking for someone to more frequently play a right side midfielder, I think Mata would end up getting in the way of the front three, so maybe someone like Herrera or maybe Fellaini to replace some of the size of Lukaku.

I'm kind of basing on this on the early success last season. When United were at their best in the fall, a big part of that was Mkhitayaran being the link btw the forwards and defense. He would drop to get the ball, and run forward with the attacking options flanking him. IMO - That is this team at their best.

Martial - Alexis - Rashford
Pogba - Fred/Ander
Matic

Problem with this now is that Matic is cooked. The DM is a glaring hole, and the defense isnt' good enough to cover for it. But this team isn't good enough to defend and grind out wins. So F it, go down fighting.

Reactions: hatterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad