TSN: CKGM Montreal AUDIO - Pierre McGuire warns Montreal fans the Bruins are loaded

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Great to hear from Pierre. I think it's in line with what we've been saying for awhile here.

Yep. I think anyone doubting Sweeney's draft and development ability at this point looks pretty foolish. Sorry, but you do. Jump up and down and shout Barzal all you want but nobody hits a grand slam every at bat, and McAvoy was our grand slam. I'll take that.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I like you - so I'm suggesting your 2018 New Years resolution is to read my posts and start using my philosophy as your own.

I've been a mentor to kids in the past and I'm willing to help a good Bruins fan who needs s little guidance and direction.

We can start today or on the 1st just let me know.

If you want to do today we can use the Sweeney thread.

This goes out to others

Very disturbing to see longtime Sweeney bashers disappear altogether from HF Boards like the Burgermeister Meisterburgers while others occasionally post with a mumbling 'Barzal' equivalent to the Winter Warlock only left with a little magic corn.

It's the season of forgiveness- come back and accept Donny Hawkey and start posting again we will not judge you much

Make the change and leave the darkness.

I can help you see the light if you so choose :pcheer:

Afraid I left "kid" behind a long time ago ;)

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You're wrong on Donato. Everyone is impressed with him.

I hope I am, I don' root against Bruins prospects (well maybe kokolachev), I would just like a lot more diversity in the type of players selected. For the most part I have been ok with the D picks but I would really like some aggressve players who project as power forwards, grinders, hitters , muckers, etc.

I really don't want 7 rounds of small, fast, finesse college players drafted

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I hope I am, I don' root against Bruins prospects (well maybe kokolachev), I would just like a lot more diversity in the type of players selected. For the most part I have been ok with the D picks but I would really like some aggressve players who project as power forwards, grinders, hitters , muckers, etc.

I watched Danato grow up playing since he was in youth hockey. One of my kids played against him growing up. The kid is the real deal, IMO. Not that that counts for much LOL

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

I kind of think the power forwards can be later round guys with some level of speed and finesse, who just keep getting better.

In line with your thought, would be good to target these types of guys somewhere on the kid rounds. Earlier picks though have to be skilled.

If he went a step further, Young Charlie would be Bobby Orr.

Hoping for a smooth transition from Z to him as the long long term #1.

At the risk of getting ahead of things, I think that process is well on its way. The last 3 Boston players that I felt, from the first time I saw them as rookies, that they were HUGE impact players, were Bourque, Bergeron and now McAvoy. It’s scary how good he is already.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I think that's fair. I also think the best lines are a combination of speed, finesse and size/grit. I think about all those Chicago teams and they always found someone to play on the top line with Toews and Kane that brought those gritty qualities. From Byfuglien to Bickell to Saad.

Lucic-Savard-Kessel was so much fun to watch. Last year in Edmonton, Maroon-McDavid and Draisatl were arguably the best line in the league, and again, so fun to watch in the playoffs.

I do think we're seeing less of that, the two best lines in the league are probably Namestnikov-Stamkos-Kucherov and Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak and neither line has a true blue power forward, though they both have a lot of determination and excel at creating turnovers without hitting.

Reactions: Spooner st

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
McGuire also says that the Sens roster is better then the Bruins, has been saying that all year whenever he speaks on Ottawa sports talk radio. Yet he also always praises the Bruins, talk about pandering to the local audience.

Ya, all the "insiders" do a little singing to the choir. They say what people want to hear, though McGuire has been tough on the Habs and has drawn a lot of criticism from Habs fans. They claim he's bitter because he was passed over for the GM job, but he's been bang on about everything he's said about the Habs. He told them Drouin was a nice piece but not the answer on his own, he was right about that. He told them Weber would break down and he has. He told them Mete would be toast by his 10th game and that was bang on too. Habs fans can cry if they like but he's hit it out of the park as far as they are concerned.

Reactions: 00BW

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think that's fair. I also think the best lines are a combination of speed, finesse and size/grit. I think about all those Chicago teams and they always found someone to play on the top line with Toews and Kane that brought those gritty qualities. From Byfuglien to Bickell to Saad.

Lucic-Savard-Kessel was so much fun to watch. Last year in Edmonton, Maroon-McDavid and Draisatl were arguably the best line in the league, and again, so fun to watch in the playoffs.

I do think we're seeing less of that, the two best lines in the league are probably Namestnikov-Stamkos-Kucherov and Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak and neither line has a true blue power forward, though they both have a lot of determination and excel at creating turnovers without hitting.

Agree to a point. I know it was a couple years ago but the best hockey Spooner has played was with Pastrnak and Lucic. I think Krecji does better with a grittier, tough winger. I still can't figure out why he and Backes have not meshed.

Also Marchand is pretty tough and gritty

Reactions: PlayMakers

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I kind of think the power forwards can be later round guys with some level of speed and finesse, who just keep getting better.

In line with your thought, would be good to target these types of guys somewhere on the kid rounds. Earlier picks though have to skilled

Agree, unless you can get a Matt Tkachuk start projecting power forwards out in the third round. In a lot of ways they are safer picks, while a guy like Maroon or Ferland can play on your lower lines while progressing as a scoring forward. I love Tom Wilson and Austin Watson, I would not have risked first round picks on them. It's too easy for them to become bottom 6 forwards, Wilson is very valuable but a first is still a high price to pay.

The only contradiction I will mention is that as forwards who can play, score, hit and fight become more difficult to find you may have to start risking higher round picks to find well rounded players.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yep. I think anyone doubting Sweeney's draft and development ability at this point looks pretty foolish. Sorry, but you do. Jump up and down and shout Barzal all you want but nobody hits a grand slam every at bat, and McAvoy was our grand slam. I'll take that.

Still think the B's 2014 draft is about as good as it gets.

With only 5 picks (no 3rd or 6th rounder, 25th in first round) they took Pastrnak, Donato, Heinen, Bjork and Johansson.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I like McGuire.

Wanted to mention that I heard him on Montreal radio - probably around the start of last season and they were kinda bragging about having Sergachev and trying to get him to talk about how good their prospect pool was. McGuire would have none of it and instead - paraphrasing 'But after that, there's no one. You look at a team like Boston and they have 15 players in their system that look like they're going to be NHLers.' and went on for awhile about how great Boston's pool of young players was. I think that's great on Montreal radio.

McGuire might be Sweeney's #1 Fan as he never passes an opportunity to talk about how Sweeney's building something 'special'.

I wouldn't read too much into his Leaf comment. That'd be more for the audience. I'm trying to allow myself to let Leaf fans enjoy their meteoric rise to mediocrity - and only over the space of a scant 15 years of uselessness.

Reactions: Chief Nine

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

With only 5 picks (no 3rd or 6th rounder, 25th in first round) they took Pastrnak, Donato, Heinen, Bjork and Johansson.

Yep, I agree. Keep an eye on the 2016 class, I think it could be similar, with McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, Koppanen, Clarke and Steen.

Koppanen and Steen are forgetten prospects but I'd bet both become NHL'ers. Both are playing in the top pro leagues in their countries as 19 year olds, both will be playing in the WJC this week. Koppanen is huge at 6'5 and Steen has a motor like Marchand.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

They had no third and Avadsson was there and they liked him

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Yes, and 16-16-4 with that roster is impressive.
7th worst record in the NHL.

Do they have the 7th worst roster?
I'd say in and around there.

You know how big of a Julien guy I am, Bill. I don't intend this as a pile-on. But they are in and around meeting expectations if anything. Certainly not something I'm impressed by.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
7th worst record in the NHL.

Do they have the 7th worst roster?
I'd say in and around there.

You know how big of a Julien guy I am, Bill. I don't intend this as a pile-on. But they are in and around meeting expectations if anything. Certainly not something I'm impressed by.

Honestly with Weber out and Price leaking like a sinking ship to start the season, they might have the 7th worst roster. Bergevin had a disaster of a summer, making the team worse and not really addressing any of the weaknesses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->