Confirmed with Link: CJ Smith signs 2 yr 1.4mil deal with Sabres

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Loved CJ Smith in both the AHL and NHL last year.

If Botts was willing to gift a spot to Tage Thompson last year, we should be all be penciling in CJ Smith and Olofsson this year. Olofsson slides in the top 6 RW, CJ Smith as middle 6 LW. Then bounce Sheary to his off wing (where he has played sparingly):

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson
Vesey-ERod-Reinhart
CJ Smith-Middlestadt-Sheary
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

We still really need a second line center.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Good, Good. He should be a quality middle 6 winger for us. Which is why I don't understand the Vesey acquisition. Can any of our LW's play their off-wing well?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Loved CJ Smith in both the AHL and NHL last year.

If Botts was willing to gift a spot to Tage Thompson last year, we should be all be penciling in CJ Smith and Olofsson this year. Olofsson slides in the top 6 RW, CJ Smith as middle 6 LW. Then bounce Sheary to his off wing (where he has played sparingly):

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson
Vesey-ERod-Reinhart
CJ Smith-Middlestadt-Sheary
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

We still really need a second line center.
Can Rodrigues be a 50 point 2nd line center with Reinhart? It's possible.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
How do you know?

Limitations in his skill set. The quality of 2C’s we’re up against in our own conference. His tendency to try and do too much.

What makes you think he’s the solution at 2C?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Limitations in his skill set. The quality of 2C’s we’re up against in our own conference. His tendency to try and do too much.

What makes you think he’s the solution at 2C?
I don't think he's the solution, I do think trying him out in that role with good linemates is worthwhile.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't think he's the solution, I do think trying him out in that role with good linemates is worthwhile.

Couldn’t hurt to try of course.

Good wingers are in short supply unfortunately.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
CJ is plenty good enough that he will get the minutes over any of the dead weight here.

I agree that he should, but you could've said the same thing last year. Management has given no indication that they know who their good players are. They played Sobotka over him last year.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I agree that he should, but you could've said the same thing last year. Management has given no indication that they know who their good players are. They played Sobotka over him last year.

I wouldn't say so, beyond the fact that Housley was the coach. CJ got pretty valuable development time in Rochester, and was also able to move between teams freely. Now they'd have to waive him and that's just not going to happen.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
The worst thing EA Sports ever did was make millions of people not understand waiver eligibility. I see so many people still think two way deals don’t require waivers while one ways do.

Also, CJ should make the big club but we have a logjam of mediocrity in his way.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I wouldn't say so, beyond the fact that Housley was the coach. CJ got pretty valuable development time in Rochester, and was also able to move between teams freely. Now they'd have to waive him and that's just not going to happen.

I hope you're right. As it stands, if they keep Smith up, they'd have to waive some veterans (Sobotka, Girgensons), or send down the GM's prized prospect (Thompson), which I'll believe when I see.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope you're right. As it stands, if they keep Smith up, they'd have to waive some veterans (Sobotka, Girgensons), or send down the GM's prized prospect (Thompson), which I'll believe when I see.

Lets hope he's wise enough to let go of Sobotka and that a player needing development time is given it if they are so needing it. We can hope he's learned from his mistakes, right?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I wonder if his offensive competence and supposed defensive acumen could make him a good partner for Mitts. A sort of Jochen Hecht with Briere type role.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The worst thing EA Sports ever did was make millions of people not understand waiver eligibility. I see so many people still think two way deals don’t require waivers while one ways do.

Also, CJ should make the big club but we have a logjam of mediocrity in his way.
I'm just hoping the mediocrity in his way last year was phil's choice and botterill was letting the coach die with his own decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->