Confirmed with Link: CJ Smith signs 2 yr 1.4mil deal with Sabres

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Seems like a good signing. I hope he provides unexpected help to the team.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'll feel better about missing out on the Donskois and Connollys of the FA class if Smith turns into a player in the top 9.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They are not in the same league. Olofsson is a much higher ceiling guy. Smith would be great for us if he's even an effective bottom 6 guy at that cap.
What exactly are you basing this on?

Smith was just as lethal as Olofsson scoring goals and points this past season. Thats without the elite release. They will both be 24 when the seasons starts. They both took a longer path than most to the NHL as a 7th rounder and a college UDFA.

I’m a huge fan of both and think they will both be great adds this season. Olofsson will probably be used on offensive lines/situations while Smith will be more of a glue guy who can play with any line.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll feel better about missing out on the Donskois and Connollys of the FA class if Smith turns into a player in the top 9.

And we know he can handle the rol---wait a minute. We don't know. Because Phil.

I hope he's good. He looks like he would make a quality mid-6 addition as a straight-line, energetic winger. But... we don't know. His primary point share last year in the AHL was pretty good, could be indicative of translating that to the NHL if he's given an opportunity.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Smith was just as lethal as Olofsson scoring goals and points this past season. Thats without the elite release. They will both be 24 when the seasons starts. They both took a longer path than most to the NHL as a 7th rounder and a college UDFA.

I’m a huge fan of both and think they will both be great adds this season. Olofsson will probably be used on offensive lines/situations while Smith will be more of a glue guy who can play with any line.

Adding to your point: Smith does a lot to create scoring all on his own. Smith's primary points/60 and just raw primary points indicate an AHLer who should translate up into the bigs if he's given the opportunity. Smith though has the ability to fill other roles and that likely gets him cast more on the defensive end of the ledger. I'd still like to see him given an opportunity since he has the ability to create through smart, simple plays.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

fwiw CJ's release might not be on Olofsson level but it's still very good

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
And we know he can handle the rol---wait a minute. We don't know. Because Phil.

I hope he's good. He looks like he would make a quality mid-6 addition as a straight-line, energetic winger. But... we don't know. His primary point share last year in the AHL was pretty good, could be indicative of translating that to the NHL if he's given an opportunity.
Add it to the list of things Phil needs a thrashing for.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
CJ will be in the lineup, book it. It still baffles me that people here post lines with him not in them. Absolutely ridiculous.

Probably because none of the dead weight has been removed yet.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Should've at least been in Buffalo's bottom six for a good portion of last year. Hope he locks up a spot there, if not higher in the lineup. I like his versatility and ability to play well on both sides of the puck compared to the likes of Thompson, Vesey, and Sheary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->