Recalled/Assigned: CJ Smith Recalled 12/31 (Assigned to Amerks 1/11)

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Maybe it’s because I’m a CJ fanboy but I made the comparison to Hecht previously because of that straight line approach, along with his dogged checking through the neutral zone and general versatility. People have said he can’t drive a line, but I’m not necessarily sure that’s true. He has had to carry lines in Rochester plenty of times in the last couple years. He doesn’t necessarily have a traditional “playmakers” skillset but he is extremely adept in causing havoc. He knows where the high danger areas are and how to get pucks there with frequency. I’m very excited to see him tonight obviously.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I know this is probably a long shot...but does anyone think CJ will be given a shot with Skinner and Eichel?

He has played almost exclusively LW but from what I understand it sounded like Rochester has been recently trying him at RW and even C a bit? Got to think that has been a recommendation from above to try it out for a bit before his callup.

With his game sounding similar to that of Pominville's; who has worked well on that line but just doesn't have the gas left at his age to do it consistently, it might not be a bad idea.

Would free up Reinhart to move to the 2nd line and potentially help get the secondary scoring going.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
I wouldn't mess with our one working line. I'd like to see him play with Mitts. I think that CJ and Mitts will compliment each other well.

Reactions: Chainshot

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I know this is probably a long shot...but does anyone think CJ will be given a shot with Skinner and Eichel?

He has played almost exclusively LW but from what I understand it sounded like Rochester has been recently trying him at RW and even C a bit? Got to think that has been a recommendation from above to try it out for a bit before his callup.

With his game sounding similar to that of Pominville's; who has worked well on that line but just doesn't have the gas left at his age to do it consistently, it might not be a bad idea.

Would free up Reinhart to move to the 2nd line and potentially help get the secondary scoring going.

Just a thought.

Definitely not tonight but I could see it in the future. It’s hard to split up that line right now. I could be convinced of nearly any line combo outside of Eichel Skinner Reinhart being broken up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wouldn't mess with our one working line. I'd like to see him play with Mitts. I think that CJ and Mitts will compliment each other well.

It would be interesting to see someone - anyone - on Mitts line going to the net without the puck.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
All this hate for Elie when he’s been working much harder than a few of these guys going through the motions. I don’t get it, yes Elie isn’t an amazing player but he’s out there flying, playing D, forechecking and being a pest when guys like Mitts just coast around hoping someone passes to them, then get muscled off puck, quit playing D and go to bench.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
All this hate for Elie when he’s been working much harder than a few of these guys going through the motions. I don’t get it, yes Elie isn’t an amazing player but he’s out there flying, playing D, forechecking and being a pest when guys like Mitts just coast around hoping someone passes to them, then get muscled off puck, quit playing D and go to bench.

I don't have much hate for him, he's right in the niche with Wilson when he gets back for that group. The only locks for the bottom line should be Girgensons and Larsson who have been decent in the PK. I like Elie as a player, though he does have some issues staying consistent. It's hard to put too much hate on him when he's barely playing.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I doubt anyone “hates” Elie. He just isn’t any good at the nhl level. His skating is good, but nothing special. His sense/vision is brutal at the nhl level. He provides no offense at all because of that, but it also makes him a poor defender in space. His stick discipline and hand eye coordination is subpar, so his forecheck usefulness is limited.

He just doesn’t have any particular good nhl skills.

Hope CJ can grab a roster spot to stay long term, as someone said Pominville 2.0.

But if he can just be on Mitts level of possession and solid defense it will be a nice upgrade.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I predict people will be disappointed that one or two Amerk callups don't necessarily move the needle much short term here, and cue the "we suck and have nothing in the pipeline" hot takes.

But Smith earned his chance here. Would be awesome if he could make his presence felt tonight.
I predict he can't be worse than Pominville,Okposo,Sobotka,Elie

Reactions: jc17

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I agree he bust s his ass would play him over poms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad