News Article: CJ Podcast

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
CJ: “That’s the number one thought I had leaving Scotiabank Arena today.... this guy might not be back”

In regards to Babcock

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Few major anecdotes:

- RE Matthews "he's going to come back with a C on his jersey" next year

- Says Marner's camp is asking for more than Matthews' AAV; next 6-7 weeks the Leafs will give a final figure and CJ believes Dubas won't go above 11 mill, which could lead to a scenario where Marner is moved due to the notoriety of the camp

- Heard that the Leafs tried to make a significant move to acquire a big name @ the TDL, but didn't end up doing it (doesn't know who the player is); would have been a major 4 player deal with the keystone player coming back being a RHD

- Confirmed that the Leafs discussed trading Zaitsev at the TDL; there is some interest, but it is dependent on how much the Leafs will have to sweeten the pot

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I bet we get the big name dman this summer.

This is going to be a bonkers offseason

What's the starting offer for Brett Pesce?

The Canes currently use him on the left side, surely they'll be exploring possibilities of upgrading their forward group with Pesce being as expendable as he is.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Few major anecdotes:

- RE Matthews "he's going to come back with a C on his jersey" next year

- Says Marner's camp is asking for more than Matthews' AAV; next 6-7 weeks the Leafs will give a final figure and CJ believes Dubas won't go above 11 mill, which could lead to a scenario where Marner is moved due to the notoriety of the camp

- Heard that the Leafs tried to make a significant move to acquire a big name @ the TDL, but didn't end up doing it (doesn't know who the player is); would have been a major 4 player deal with the keystone player coming back being a RHD

- Confirmed that the Leafs discussed trading Zaitsev at the TDL; there is some interest, but it is dependent on how much the Leafs will have to sweeten the pot

Damn Dubas for not being able to do everything in one TDL!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Says Marner's camp is asking for more than Matthews' AAV; next 6-7 weeks the Leafs will give a final figure and CJ believes Dubas won't go above 11 mill, which could lead to a scenario where Marner is moved due to the notoriety of the camp

Any thoughts on what that means?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
One thing you can't say about Dubas is he sits on his hands. He will make a major deal this year. Hopefully for someone good and who can fit the core and doesn't get bent over.

And if the rumor is true Matthews is going to float half the year, bend over the team on his contract, and then do nothing in game 7 after floating half the series (despite his goals, he was invisible for the first half outside of the PP), then... Eww. Just eww. This team will never win if he is the teams leader.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

They say a lot of summer trades are typically discussed in season at some point.

Even CJ said he wonders if that whole thing jumps back into gear this summer.

Clearly it’s someone the Leafs covet, and is acquirable.

Reactions: Loosie

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Any thoughts on what that means?

There are a few things. For one, it's widely reported that Marner's camp, mainly his agent and his father, believe Marner is just as good as Matthews and shouldn't be paid a penny less. Earlier this year, his agent was in the new for claiming the Leafs were low balling Marner and such and had to go on multiple radio shows later to do some damage control (this was right after the Matthews deal).

Paul Marner, his dad, is similarly notorious. He went on a tangent that made the news saying Marner is always written off and under appreciated and should be captain. I should say this was earlier in the year before his big season and when he still had a lot of doubters.

Both seem to have a "No one took a discount and neither will we" approach. They at least in the media, have been portrayed as stubborn.

This is going to get ugly. It will be in the media, and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to Marner deciding if he wants to be a Leaf or get the contract his camp thinks he is worth.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

Poor soul. I wonder who is going to go from a #1 / top pairing stud to an over rated 2nd pair "maybe third pair on a contender" minutes after it is announced..

Also curious to see who is now amazing and a star that the idiotic Leafs gave up on.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think there's a guy in the Toronto media that's better in the know (and level headed) as CJ.

I take this as gospel as he knows he's basically the only trustworthy Leafs reporter out there anymore and has 0 reason to make shit up.

So Nylander isn't going anywhere, Babs might be gone, Matty probably will be captain, Marner won't be paid like the talking heads think.

member 262271

Listening to it now, very good so far. I like the Steve Dangle podcast because it’s media but not mainstream enough that I want to throw my phone across the room.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
They say a lot of summer trades are typically discussed in season at some point.

Even CJ said he wonders if that whole thing jumps back into gear this summer.

Clearly it’s someone the Leafs covet, and is acquirable.
Think it might be Doughty.
He seems very vocal in LA and I can't see him stomaching a rebuild there. It would fit the scenario of having to make multiple moves to make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->