Civ 6: Gathering Storm

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I really liked Civ VI, but it didn't hook me as much as Civ V. Not quite sure why.

Are the expansions worth it?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really liked Civ VI, but it didn't hook me as much as Civ V. Not quite sure why.

Are the expansions worth it?

Did you play the original Civ V or the one with all the expansions?

It's only really fair to compare apples to apples.

For my part, I only started playing V once BNW came out.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
So I just started playing VI after being a huge fan of Civ 4. I'm loving it so far but there's some stupid questions I have that I haven't really been able to find answers to elsewhere.

I tend to have a moment where I activate the civic card for getting builders with 5 charges and then I'll build a whole ton of builders in quick succession before switching to another card. I end up having a ton of build charges and I've been having them build improvements on every tile when I started thinking, is it ever better to NOT improve a tile? Keeping aside the strategy of leaving tiles open for certain districts or trying to maximize adjacency bonuses, is there ever a reason to not throw up a farm, mine or pasture on a tile if you have the builders to do it?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It can be a little confusing at first but it's far easier to get into than those Paradox's games like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis. The series has also improved a lot with it's UI and Tutorials for easing new players into the game. I wouldn't think it should take too long to pick up, though the trick here is just pick an easy difficulty setting (which are very forgiving) and a fast game speed and just mess around with it. If you realize you messed something up, or think you're getting the hang of it and the difficulty is too easy, restart and bump it up.

I didn't know Civ VI was available for the Switch though?

Thanks! Yep was released a few weeks ago. Seems to be the full version made for the switch. Got good reviews so far. How long are games usually

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
So I just started playing VI after being a huge fan of Civ 4. I'm loving it so far but there's some stupid questions I have that I haven't really been able to find answers to elsewhere.

I tend to have a moment where I activate the civic card for getting builders with 5 charges and then I'll build a whole ton of builders in quick succession before switching to another card. I end up having a ton of build charges and I've been having them build improvements on every tile when I started thinking, is it ever better to NOT improve a tile? Keeping aside the strategy of leaving tiles open for certain districts or trying to maximize adjacency bonuses, is there ever a reason to not throw up a farm, mine or pasture on a tile if you have the builders to do it?
I usually improve the tiles with resources on them first and get all my districts that I want built, then I improve the rest.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont

There are a few times when improving tiles isn't optimal, like if you're going for a culture victory you may want to leave a patch with high appeal undeveloped, so you can build a national park later in the game.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thanks! Yep was released a few weeks ago. Seems to be the full version made for the switch. Got good reviews so far. How long are games usually

Perhaps the best thing about the Civilization series in my opinion is the customizability of the game setup. Game speed varies greatly depending on what you set the map size, game speed, and/or starting era to you can have 'quick' games that last only a few hours or epic marathon games that last 30+ hours, and anywhere in-between.

Reactions: sa cyred

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Did you play the original Civ V or the one with all the expansions?

It's only really fair to compare apples to apples.

For my part, I only started playing V once BNW came out.

Original I believe, although I'd have to double check to be sure if I'm honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad