Civ 6: Gathering Storm

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
This expansion looks great. There are some nice little features that people have wanted to see for a while like named geological features included here too.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Sounds insane in a good way. I have never been really able to get into Civ 6 after how awesome Civ 5 was (still play it to this day and only have 20-40 hours in Civ 6 with 1700+ in Civ 5) but this might change it. Learning new mechanics is just too much of a time sink for me, but this expansion sounds worth it.

Agreed. I dove into Civ VI pretty hard at first, but it didn't have the staying power of Civ V for me.

This expansion looks interesting.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is a badly needed update:

On the other side, we’ve replaced the Warmonger score with Grievances. This acts as a tug-of-war between a pair of players – if you’ve ever been at the receiving end of a surprise attack and retaliated by taking a few cities, I think you’ll appreciate how this system has been updated. The other leaders are now likely to feel that such a countermove was entirely appropriate.

And now that I recall playing Civ VI a bit more I really hope that ties into protecting city states.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh

It's First Look season! Hungary looks like a solid Domination-focused Civ:

FIRST LOOK: Hungary – Mattias Corvinus
Leader Ability - Raven King
- Levied units gain +2 movement and +5 combat strength. Costs neither gold nor resources to upgrade these levied units. Levying troops grants 2 envoys to their associated city-state. Gains the Black Army unique unit at the Castles technology.
Leader Unique Unit - Black Army - Replaces the Courser. +3 combat strength for each adjacent levied unit. Upgrades into the Huszár.
National Ability - Pearl of the Danube - +50% production to districts and buildings if they are located adjacent to and across the river from a City Center.
Unique Unit - Huszár - Replaces the Cavalry. Gains +3 combat strength for every alliance.
Unique Infrastructure - Thermal Bath - Replaces the Zoo. Provides +2 Amenities and +2 Production to all City Centers within range. If there is at least one geothermal fissure feature within the city limits, the bath additionally provides +3 tourism and +2 amenities.

Reactions: Beau Knows

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sounds insane in a good way. I have never been really able to get into Civ 6 after how awesome Civ 5 was (still play it to this day and only have 20-40 hours in Civ 6 with 1700+ in Civ 5) but this might change it. Learning new mechanics is just too much of a time sink for me, but this expansion sounds worth it.

I have the same issue.

It took me long enough to learn Civ 5 (after Civ 2 and Civ 3) that I'm reluctant to start all over again.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Canadian Civ info:

Laurier Unique Ability – The Last Best West
This ability allows Canada to build farms on Tundra terrain, and reduces the cost of purchasing Snow and Tundra tiles by half. Gathering accumulated resources from Snow and Tundra tiles yields twice the usual amount.

Unique Ability – Four Faces of Peace
This ability prevents Canada from declaring surprise wars on opponents or declaring war on City-States, but also ensures that surprise wars can’t be declared against Canada. Grants bonus Diplomatic Favor based on per-turn Tourism, and Canada receives extra Diplomatic Favor from successfully completing Emergencies or Scored Competitions.

Unique Building – Ice Hockey Rink
Ice Hockey Rinks grant additional Appeal and Amenity, and bonus Culture for each adjacent Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra, and Tundra Hills tile. Once the Flight technology is unlocked, grants Tourism from Culture; after unlocking the Professional Sports Civic, awards additional Production and Food; and, if built adjacent to a Stadium building, grants even more Culture. Only one Ice Hockey Rink allowed within a city’s borders.

Unique Unit – Mountie
This modern era unit has the ability to create a National Park. Mounties receive combat bonuses when fighting near a National Park, and an additional combat bonus if the National Park is owned by Canada.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Not sure how I feel about the Canada civ. I like playing for cultural and diplomatic victories, but the abilities seem kind of lazy. Hockey rinks, Mounties and tundra bonuses aren't exactly creative ideas. Also seems like their theme song is just the anthem? That's disappointing.

The one thing I do like is the Four Faces of Peaces ability.

I really like the Maori though, starting in the ocean is neat. I like civs with really unique abilities like that, I still miss Venice for that reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teamoo
Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Not sure how I feel about the Canada civ. I like playing for cultural and diplomatic victories, but the abilities seem kind of lazy. Hockey rinks, Mounties and tundra bonuses aren't exactly creative ideas. Also seems like their theme song is just the anthem? That's disappointing.

The one thing I do like is the Four Faces of Peaces ability.

I really like the Maori though, starting in the ocean is neat. I like civs with really unique abilities like that, I still miss Venice for that reason.
Most civs are lazy if you want to go there (Japan with their Samurai, Germany and the Panzer, Russia with the Cossack, England and the Redcoat etc). Canada being a young place, you have to go with what the world knows, I guess.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Most civs are lazy if you want to go there (Japan with their Samurai, Germany and the Panzer, Russia with the Cossack, England with the Redcoat etc). Canada being a young place, you have to go with what the world knows, I guess.

That's true, I understand where they are coming from with most of the abilities and I do think it will be a fun civ to play that has it's own niche.

The theme song being the anthem is still really disappointing since the music is so great in this game, I would have loved to hear their rendition of some other much better and more interesting song.

Reactions: Denzil

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
That's true, I understand where they are coming from with most of the abilities and I do think it will be a fun civ to play that has it's own niche.

The theme song being the anthem is still really disappointing since the music is so great in this game, I would have loved to hear their rendition of some other much better and more interesting song.

Maybe some Justin Bieber or Celine Dione, or perhaps a little Nickelback? :sarcasm:

This is ****ing awesome though, finally we get an official Canada! I know it's not really a good pick for 'Civilization', but my argument has always been when you have large markets like Canada or Australia who may not be historically significant but have large modern audiences who can buy the game it's good just to finally give us a home team to use.

I gotta say though, and this extends to the Russian Civ's, while I know it makes sense from a gameplay perspective to use those Tundra tiles I hope they don't actually think we all live on the tundra or something :laugh:

Reactions: NyQuil

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Shoulda gone with this:

Reactions: Saitama

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Another thing of personal interest for me, playing a bit of Civ VI this weekend reminded me of my two flow breaking pet peeves with the game...

1. Civs asking me to move my troops from the border, and the unspecified mechanics to appease the agreement - this is there to stop human players from abusing AI with a prepared assault, but I don't tend to do that anyways and it's usually just my scouts chilling out and healing in no-mans land that trigger this request.
2. AI aggression towards city states with no regard to diplomatic standing and little opportunity to address it. This is the bigger one, especially when it's a CS you've invested in and are counting on for the bonuses and the conquering Civ is one of your friends/allies. Simply put if there's a CS in a Civ's path they will inevitably roll over it, with no concern given to who may be invested in it. There are emergency's and protectorate wars but they don't really address the fundamental issue.

So I'm really keen on Canada's ability here for modding purposes to simply apply it to all Civ's... except for maybe a few of the aggressive ones. If you can't declare you'll protect a city state like in Civ V, I'd rather just disable the ability to declare war on them outright.

Reactions: Saitama

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They should make Canada aggressive, but able to talk its way out of trouble by saying "sore-ry." Also, when they invade other nations, it should be with entertainers.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I love how Canada can't be dicks and other people can't be dicks to Canada in terms of declaring war.

Canada is one of the world leaders in hypocrisy (the nice stereotype is just passive/aggressiveness combined with a deathly fear of conflict, the classic Anglo-Saxon failing) but that wouldn't have made for compelling gameplay mechanics.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I love how Canada can't be dicks and other people can't be dicks to Canada in terms of declaring war.

Canada is one of the world leaders in hypocrisy (the nice stereotype is just passive/aggressiveness combined with a deathly fear of conflict, the classic Anglo-Saxon failing) but that wouldn't have made for compelling gameplay mechanics.

Yeah, I’d hate to play your version.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So Civ 6 is available for switch and I am tempted. I tried a Civ game a few years ago but quit pretty quickly (blame I had alot of stuff going on at the time).

How is it getting a handle on it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So Civ 6 is available for switch and I am tempted. I tried a Civ game a few years ago but quit pretty quickly (blame I had alot of stuff going on at the time).

How is it getting a handle on it.

It can be a little confusing at first but it's far easier to get into than those Paradox's games like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis. The series has also improved a lot with it's UI and Tutorials for easing new players into the game. I wouldn't think it should take too long to pick up, though the trick here is just pick an easy difficulty setting (which are very forgiving) and a fast game speed and just mess around with it. If you realize you messed something up, or think you're getting the hang of it and the difficulty is too easy, restart and bump it up.

I didn't know Civ VI was available for the Switch though?

Reactions: sa cyred

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm trying to wrap my head around how a Civ game is playable with a controller. That's like playing a platformer with a mouse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->