News Article: Citizen article on ottawa sports scene

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

yup

One of the biggest obstacles to sports profitability, aside from a small population, is the city’s lopsided economy. Employment in public administration this year has averaged 181,000 — nearly 24 per cent of the total workforce for Ottawa-Gatineau. That far exceeds the comparable ratio in Canada’s other large cities. Edmonton, with less than eight per cent of its workforce in government, is a distant second.
The extraordinarily high concentration in Ottawa-Gatineau matters because the federal government, which accounts for nearly 85 per cent of public administration workers here, prohibits employees from accepting free tickets to sports matches to prevent conflicts of interest.
In other cities, it’s natural for employers and business owners to invite clients to hockey, baseball or football games. Indeed, the teams’ owners count on it, some more than others. An estimated 15 per cent of Redblacks’ fans this past year were corporate clients, while for the Ottawa Senators the concentration was 35 per cent, thanks in part to the large number of corporate suites in the Canadian Tire Centre.
Even when government employees buy tickets on their own account, the biggest clusters in the capital region happen to live in west Gatineau and east Ottawa — many kilometres distant from the NHL arena in Kanata and a less-than-straightforward commute to Lansdowne.
Add to this a couple of other short-term impediments. First is the multi-year saga involving the federal government’s botched pay system known as Phoenix. Workers uncertain about what amounts will be deposited in their bank accounts, or when this will happen — the majority of the government’s workforce, in other words — are less likely to spend $100 or more to see the Redblacks or Senators in person.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
What a stupid title for the article.

Yeah, OSEG thinks Ottawa is such a crap sports town that it is buying even more sports teams. Complaining about the city being a government town when the inability to accept freebies doesn't do much to minor league teams. He doesn't mention that those government jobs give Ottawa one of the highest average incomes in the country. Extra disposable income helps people spend on things like minor league sports.

OSEG was given a gift by our corrupt city government with Landsdowne and yet they're still complaining about losing money. Did they even pay all the contractors who worked on Landsdowne, like that guy with the fancy sculpture?

The only interesting thing about the article was the potential compromise for a football/soccer stadium in Kanata that was scuttled because Melnyk being Melnyk.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Looks like the north side stands need to be torn down and rebuilt. Poor OSEG. :laugh:

It was so stupid to think that they could do all of this renovations to the site and leave a 50 year old main component because it seemed good.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Looks like the north side stands need to be torn down and rebuilt. Poor OSEG. :laugh:

It was so stupid to think that they could do all of this renovations to the site and leave a 50 year old main component because it seemed good.

Incredible that these pillars of the community, successful businessman , did a shockingly lousy DD and it has cost them dearly. Both in their pockets and reputation.

They were wrong to trust their partner, the City of Ottawa

Reactions: Variable26

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Can't help but laugh. You're horrible fans! You suck! You can't do anything right! Then out of the other corner of their mouth, Please buy the crap we're selling.

No wonder so many people are walking away from such an abusive relationship. :laugh:

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I came across this a few moments ago. It did not get the attention that I would have assumed it would have.

The one time flagship franchise, the 67's drew 4000 fans. In 1998-99 and the one or two years after that, I believe they were at ~9000. And are now in a dilapidated arena.

We have the soccer team fold. The football team averaged 2000 less fans and given their poor season last year, it could mean a further drop in attendance. The facility is dilapidated and so who knows what long term impact this can have.

The Sens are at 11700 fans in an arena of 19000. And there appears to be little progress on a downtown arena. And there may be a solid 1 million posts on HF Boards, referencing anger at the team and ownership.

Should we not be concerned? I read the posts and every one seems to feel, BOOHOO this is their problem. I believe it is our problem. The professional sports scene could perish in short order. If OSEG pulls the plug, the RedBlacks go (for a 3rd time). A lack of funding, could seriously injure the 67's. If you read the article, the hockey arena needs some serious renovation. And their revenue will not even come close to covering it. Melnyk does something crazy and who knows???

they go, we loose..Yea OSEG loses money, Melnyk loses money. Jeff Hunt loses money..We lose entertainment, prestige, facilities for other use and money. Imagine those facilities unused and decaying. Imagine the added unemployment. Imagine the loss in revenue due to tourism and game day activity which generates economic activity.

I would not know Roger Greenberg if I sat next to him. I have never seen Melnyk in person. My closest encounter with Jeff Hunt was 20 years ago, I played hockey after he and his group of friends played. So, while I do care about their fortune or misfortune. This is way more than that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I personally don’t care if Melnyck or any sports owner makes a profit or feel sorry for themselves and their conditions, because they don’t care that I can’t afford to go to a half empty arena to watch one of the worst teams of the decade play for last place.

When the rich can’t disguise their disdain for the customers or regular people - the relationship is over, it can’t be recovered - because your job as a fan is to keep them rich and not just be a fan.

It’s unfair to us fans to be constantly threatened with movement or closing the teams down, because they don’t care about us. For all the community blah blah they exhibit Melnyck would move the Sens in a heartbeat and we all know it, and he wonders out loud and pity’s himself for his lack of ticket sales, when he has publicly stiffed hard working men who serviced his plane, with public actions like that what makes anyone think he’d have any honour or dignity to treat Ottawa fans well?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I came across this a few moments ago. It did not get the attention that I would have assumed it would have.

The one time flagship franchise, the 67's drew 4000 fans. In 1998-99 and the one or two years after that, I believe they were at ~9000. And are now in a dilapidated arena.

We have the soccer team fold. The football team averaged 2000 less fans and given their poor season last year, it could mean a further drop in attendance. The facility is dilapidated and so who knows what long term impact this can have.

The Sens are at 11700 fans in an arena of 19000. And there appears to be little progress on a downtown arena. And there may be a solid 1 million posts on HF Boards, referencing anger at the team and ownership.

Should we not be concerned? I read the posts and every one seems to feel, BOOHOO this is their problem. I believe it is our problem. The professional sports scene could perish in short order. If OSEG pulls the plug, the RedBlacks go (for a 3rd time). A lack of funding, could seriously injure the 67's. If you read the article, the hockey arena needs some serious renovation. And their revenue will not even come close to covering it. Melnyk does something crazy and who knows???

they go, we loose..Yea OSEG loses money, Melnyk loses money. Jeff Hunt loses money..We lose entertainment, prestige, facilities for other use and money. Imagine those facilities unused and decaying. Imagine the added unemployment. Imagine the loss in revenue due to tourism and game day activity which generates economic activity.

I would not know Roger Greenberg if I sat next to him. I have never seen Melnyk in person. My closest encounter with Jeff Hunt was 20 years ago, I played hockey after he and his group of friends played. So, while I do care about their fortune or misfortune. This is way more than that.

Yup. Google “fickle fans Ottawa”. Lots of articles

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

If pro sports were to disappear from Ottawa not much would change in my life. I’m fed up with supposed billionaires crying poor and asking for handouts at every turn. I live across the river so it’s not even my tax money that’s being requested, but I used to attend a lot of Senators games anyway. One thing though is that I don’t support multi-million dollar businesses that ask for any handouts regardless of which city they’re in. If these sports teams aren’t profitable without outside help, then so be it, they can fold, move somewhere else or get sold to someone who can make it work on their own. I’ve lost 2 pro-sports teams already (Nordiques and Expos) and life went on. It’s never been clearer to me that pro-sports are a business and should be treated as any other business. They do not deserve blind loyalty. When one is not satisfied with the product being offered, one does not have to spend money just to show how much of a fan they really are. Fans in Ottawa are doing the right thing with the Senators and it’s only going to get worse now that winter is really starting and fans continue getting even more apathetic towards this team. None of this is the fans responsibility, ownership have to win fans over and if they’re not even trying, then they can’t be surprised with the results they’re getting.

I’m not much of a Football or Soccer fan so I don’t really follow those franchise that closely, so can’t comment on those issues.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If pro sports were to disappear from Ottawa not much would change in my life. I’m fed up with supposed billionaires crying poor and asking for handouts at every turn. I live across the river so it’s not even my tax money that’s being requested, but I used to attend a lot of Senators games anyway. One thing though is that I don’t support multi-million dollar businesses that ask for any handouts regardless of which city they’re in. If these sports teams aren’t profitable without outside help, then so be it, they can fold, move somewhere else or get sold to someone who can make it work on their own. I’ve lost 2 pro-sports teams already (Nordiques and Expos) and life went on. It’s never been clearer to me that pro-sports are a business and should be treated as any other business. They do not deserve blind loyalty. When one is not satisfied with the product being offered, one does not have to spend money just to show how much of a fan they really are. Fans in Ottawa are doing the right thing with the Senators and it’s only going to get worse now that winter is really starting and fans continue getting even more apathetic towards this team. None of this is the fans responsibility, ownership have to win fans over and if they’re not even trying, then they can’t be surprised with the results they’re getting.

I’m not much of a Football or Soccer fan so I don’t really follow those franchise that closely, so can’t comment on those issues.
Damn right They should be treated just like Bombardier, Ford, GM, Chrysler, SNC, Transcanada, Irving shipyards, East coast fisheries, Lockheed Martin, etc...

Reactions: Acidrain66

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Damn right They should be treated just like Bombardier, Ford, GM, Chrysler, SNC, Transcanada, Irving shipyards, East coast fisheries, Lockheed Martin, etc...

Lol yet the illusion that we are free to prosper and not just slaves making sure the ruling class enjoy a king like lifestyle lives on. Although to be fair some of those companies are publicly owned

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012

I understand where you're coming from but I am not worried.

Even with the attendance being what it is the Senators are not bleeding too much money. There are still buyers interested.

As far as the entire pro sports scene perishing, that would happen only in the short term. There will always be someone ready to swallow up our money.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I’m not for handouts for any such companies but at least these businesses tend to create thousands of jobs so I can understand it in part (although I still don’t agree with it). Senators are an entertainment business that don’t add that much to the local economy outside of those 41 nights out of 365 where there’s a home game. They create maybe 100 FT jobs at most.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Economic hardship generally impacts the lower end of the income scale. Many who work for these teams. many who work for industries supporting them, are low end wage earners. As their jobs disappear, the impact can be huge. And, the trickle down will hurt others.

Now, in this city, with its 160 K employees all getting a TAX dollar pay cheque. Please do not be arrogant. When a new government comes around and talks layoffs, or cuts..You guys are the first to scream bloody murder. And suddenly your unions are running all sorts of ads.

In so far as, who gives a damn about losing a sports team...it is ironic...why are you on here then? sport's teams have become a window to a community. It is what offers Marketing. Imagine playoff runs and media attention. Sports teams have become a fantastic source of entertainment, community bonding, etc. When the Sens are in a playoff and thousands of people are huddled in some pub, think of what that means?

Yes, Greenberg, Meknyk, Hunt, et all, can at times be the millionaires/billionaires who cry and yes, they irritate the heck out of me when the hold us hostage. But I have to ask, are things better with or without the teams they run?

I get e-mails from the Ottawa public library. They built a giant new branch..invited me to tour it and attend the opening. In today's society, we hardly go to a library, the computers and IPADs and smart phone, etc. have become are primary source of literature/information. So, what do we do there? That baby is supported lock, stock and barrel by tax dollars and has one, one millionth the impact on us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->