CIS Recruiting 2013-14

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not that he is not coming back, didn't see it mentioned, but Cam Maclise is attending the Kings Rookie Camp.

'Tis the season. Several AUS rookies are now in pro camps. A bit of a nervous time for coaches hoping that they do well, but not so well that they earn a pro contract and don't return! :)

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
yup - here is the Capitals Rookie Roster.

[ Link ]

Justin Larson from Waterloo is also at WASH rookie camp. The strength of CIS hockey in the past 5-10 years has really put coaches in a different position for recruiting - to strike the balance between high-end guys that might be one (or none) and done like Bathgate and Judson and countless guys that commit but then sign a pro deal in the summer after their OA year, and the solid players that will stick around for 4 years. Will definitely make the on-ice product better, but harder to maintain year-after-year-dominance.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Justin Larson from Waterloo is also at WASH rookie camp. The strength of CIS hockey in the past 5-10 years has really put coaches in a different position for recruiting - to strike the balance between high-end guys that might be one (or none) and done like Bathgate and Judson and countless guys that commit but then sign a pro deal in the summer after their OA year, and the solid players that will stick around for 4 years. Will definitely make the on-ice product better, but harder to maintain year-after-year-dominance.

That's the challenge of CIS Recruiting. If you aim too high, you can get burned, so you have to look for a range of players (some that 'will' stay and some that 'might' stay).

I know UNB does not discourage players from going to camps or signing a deal. They keep in touch and let the player know they can still change their mind without penalty until Jan 10 if in the event they are in the ECHL and the prospects of seeing AHL time are limited (not to mention the $$ they could lose from the CHL in their education package and the eligibility penalty they have to take if they wait beyond the 10th).

This 'wait and see' approach has a new wrinkle this season for AUS coaches as they have to play under a 22 skater cap. So, what does UNB do if a quality prospect like Ben Duffy or Cam Maclise sign a 2-ways ECHL/AHL deal (Ben already has)? Do you save a card and hope not to have injuries in the first half, sit a player until Jan. 10th after which you activate this 'backup' player? Play the 'backup' because you need to and tell Ben/Cam sorry - you can't play for me this year?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I confirmed today that the AUS roster cap doesn't include exhibition games, so the coaches can try out guys and cut them if they have to (red-shirt the season maybe?) by opening day of the regular season.

Could make AUS training camps more interesting ...

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I confirmed today that the AUS roster cap doesn't include exhibition games, so the coaches can try out guys and cut them if they have to (red-shirt the season maybe?) by opening day of the regular season.

Could make AUS training camps more interesting ...

Maybe why Maclise hasn't been officially announced??

toxic rd

Nov 17, 2006
canucks.com
Can tell you that three starters from last year's Laurier squad will not be returning.

Mitch Lebar
Trent Hawke
and Derek Holden

Hawke scored some big goals for Laurier down the stretch...but only down the stretch. Cerilli and Lopes were the key to that line and i expect one of the Okotoks guys to fill Hawke's spot.

Lebar never seemed to perform up to his potential, not a big loss there.

Holden should be missed however, he was effective on the power play despite having a tendency not to shoot enough when lanes opened up.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Can tell you that three starters from last year's Laurier squad will not be returning.

Mitch Lebar
Trent Hawke
and Derek Holden

Hawke scored some big goals for Laurier down the stretch...but only down the stretch. Cerilli and Lopes were the key to that line and i expect one of the Okotoks guys to fill Hawke's spot.

Lebar never seemed to perform up to his potential, not a big loss there.

Holden should be missed however, he was effective on the power play despite having a tendency not to shoot enough when lanes opened up.

I think each of those players were a fairly significant piece, and overall, combined with Mitch Good graduating, Laurier loses 4 of their top 6 scorers from last season.

Trent Hawke was a great penalty killer with Lopes, and after 1 point in his first 8 games, totaled 22 in his final 18 games and had a very strong playoff series. Academically, he was enrolled in an "Other" program, and I am not surprised he is not returning.

Holden is a loss offensively from the back end. I had assumed he, Provost, Lowry, and MacDonald would return, and combine with Braid and a Junior A defenceman to form the top 6.

Mitch Lebar is the biggest surprise to me. He was featured in a "Get to know your Hawks" segment after the end of the season, where he discussed coming to Laurier, and how his future would include getting his degree and continuing to play hockey. Even before his time in the OHL, he was known as being a pretty big on schooling. As for his hockey, he was definitely Laurier's best Center. Up until Christmas, he was over a PPG, and only dropped in the second half where he only played every other game (I assume due to injury). Lebar, Stothers and Schoenmakers were the top line I was projecting.

Do you know the situation for any other potential returning players (Skinner, Marsden, Mascioli etc.)?

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Was keeping it on the downlow but it was announced on the tv news the other day.

Michael Ward has transferred from Acadia to U de M and will red-shirt this year. Still has 2 years of eligibility left.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Rosters Announced

Some rosters are beginning to be announced:

Brock has posted their 2013-2014 roster (21 players):
http://gobadgers.ca/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

Laurier has also posted their 2013-2014 roster (30 players):
http://www.laurierathletics.com/varsityathletics/createplayroster.php?sport=MHOCK

Laurier's is quite a stretch from the 22 man AUS roster limit. Last year Laurier started with 29, had 3 leave by Christmas, reducing the roster to 26, and had 2 players injured for all 28 games, leaving 24 available in the second half.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Some rosters are beginning to be announced:

Brock has posted their 2013-2014 roster (21 players):
http://gobadgers.ca/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

Laurier has also posted their 2013-2014 roster (30 players):
http://www.laurierathletics.com/varsityathletics/createplayroster.php?sport=MHOCK

Laurier's is quite a stretch from the 22 man AUS roster limit. Last year Laurier started with 29, had 3 leave by Christmas, reducing the roster to 26, and had 2 players injured for all 28 games, leaving 24 available in the second half.

Waterloo has also posted their 2013-14 roster: http://www.athletics.uwaterloo.ca/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

They've also named 3rd year D-man Joe Underwood captain. First US-born captain in Warriors history: http://www.varsity.uwaterloo.ca/news/2013/9/12/MHOCKEY_0912131734.aspx

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Other Rosters

Lakehead has released their roster:

Final Newcomers (most of which have been announced already):
F - Cody Alcock (Kingston Frontenacs)
F - Adam Restoule (London Knights / Thunder Bay North Stars)
F - David Quesnele (Kingston Voyageurs, also has significant OHL experience)
F - Paul Thompson (Dryden Ice Dogs)
F - Matt Kaarela (Thunder Bay North Stars)

D - Andrew Tessier (Drummondville Voltigeurs)
D - Nathan Bruyere (OCN Blizzard)

G - Justin McDonald (OCN Blizzard)

Lakehead is always a strong team, and has some quality additions this year (from their website Kaarela, Restoule and Thompson are all walkons this year), but overall, not as strong a class as we are typically used to seeing from Lakehead, given their recent history of 50-60+ point CHL players like Matt Caria, Thomas Frazee and Luke Judson.

I also attended the Laurier/Ryerson game on Saturday night in Toronto. It was my second time back to the Gardens since the renovation, but the arena is very nice, with a lot of great history. Ryerson had their roster announced in the program, but has yet to post it online.

Their players did not have names on their jersey, but I know they did not dress new goaltender and likely starting goaltender in Adam Courchaine. Laurier did not dress starting forwards: Tyler Stothers, Greg Cerilli, Kyle Morrison and James Marsden. Laurier won 3-1 with all 4 goals in the game coming from first year players: former Kitchener Ranger Dominic Alberga for Ryerson, follwed by former Vancouver Giant Greg Lamoureux, former Kingston Frontenac Luke Hietkamp and former Kitchener Ranger Derek Schoenmakers for Laurier (assists to Mackenzie Braid, Ryan Lopes, Tanner Olstad and Miles MacLean). Shayne Campbell played extremely well in net for Laurier, stopping 38 of 39 shots.

Laurier's roster has also been trimmed already to 29, as Miles MacLean is no longer listed, despite playing Saturday night.

Also for recruiting:

F - Teal Burns (Alberni Valley Bulldogs - Guelph)

Windsor has also posted a roster, but it does not contain any first year players, so it likely has not been updated at all.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
not sure which thread this should be in but former Ottawa GG goalie Russell Abbott has been hired as the assistant coach with the SJHL's Notre Dame JrA Hounds

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB has announced the addition of former Dal Tiger Shea Kewin for this season as well as Rob Mignardi for next season. Mignardi was originally recruited by UNB a couple years back but decided to go pro and has bounced between the AHL and ECHL the last two years...he will red-shirt this season/play in the NFLD senior league (like Thomas and Lavigne last year) before joining the V-Reds for the 2014/15 season.

http://varsityreds.ca/sports/mice/2013-14/releases/201310028ccrdp

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB has announced the addition of former Dal Tiger Shea Kewin for this season as well as Rob Mignardi for next season. Mignardi was originally recruited by UNB a couple years back but decided to go pro and has bounced between the AHL and ECHL the last two years...he will red-shirt this season/play in the NFLD senior league (like Thomas and Lavigne last year) before joining the V-Reds for the 2014/15 season.

http://varsityreds.ca/sports/mice/2013-14/releases/201310028ccrdp

I wonder if Mignardi will consider transferring to SMU next season, as he was once committed to them as well.

:)

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I see that Ben Duffy has been released from his contract with Hamilton (AHL).

Given the timing does that mean he's heading off to university?

Link: http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php

I would think that is a strong possibility. He put up crappy numbers with Hamilton and I don't see him surviving in the Coast.

On an unrelated note, Shawn O'Donnell has signed a 2nd 25 game contract with Hartford of the AHL. Here is a player with 1/2 the skill of Duffy but 10 times the heart. Go figure.....

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
STUTommies.com is reporting that the team has recruited Michael Beudry for the 2nd half. He is a bit on the small side (5'8''), but put up 81 and 70 points in his last 2 years of junior. Looks like another solid recruit for Powers...this is the 2nd 80+ point junior player he has recruited in the last two months after not having one since 2005-06.

With Beudry joining Bissonnette and Saab for the 2nd half the Tommies are definitely heading in the right direction.

http://stutommies.com/2013/12/tommies-add-more-scoring-punch-for.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->