CIS Hockey

Hart work

Feb 18, 2019
Hey guys I just have a quick question about CIS hockey. I was wondering if cis Ontario university’s have open walk on tryouts. And if they do, do walk ons actually make the team? And if they do, how often does it happen? I used to play AAA in the GTHL from when I was 13-17, and when I missed the OHL draft I didn’t even bother trying for any OJHL or GOJHL teams. I know that most of the guys on cis teams are former junior guys. A few guys that I used to play with in the GTHL ended up going to the NHL, guys like Victor Mete and Jakub Chychrun. Do you guys think that I have at shot at making a cis team as a walk on?? Be honest with me.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Hey guys I just have a quick question about CIS hockey. I was wondering if cis Ontario university’s have open walk on tryouts. And if they do, do walk ons actually make the team? And if they do, how often does it happen? I used to play AAA in the GTHL from when I was 13-17, and when I missed the OHL draft I didn’t even bother trying for any OJHL or GOJHL teams. I know that most of the guys on cis teams are former junior guys. A few guys that I used to play with in the GTHL ended up going to the NHL, guys like Victor Mete and Jakub Chychrun. Do you guys think that I have at shot at making a cis team as a walk on?? Be honest with me.

Depends on how long you been away from the game, and how old you are, keep in mind, most of them are ex-juniors, but they are also 20-21 etc, if you go in as an 18 year old, it will be tough, but if you only reason to go to a CIS school is to try and make the team, you need to evaluate that as well.

Hart work

Feb 18, 2019
Well I’m 20 now. And I’m actually going to York University for my BM next year. I’ve been working ever since I left high school. I’m not going to university to just make the team, I’m actually trying to get my degree. I just wanted to play competitive hockey at a high level again which is why I wanted to try for the York University Varsity team, but most of the guys on the team are former junior guys, and the highest I’ve ever played is AAA. I can definitely play with the Junior guys in the terms that I’m definitely not a scrub. I’m just afraid that the coaches won’t see it that way. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it bro.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Have you continued to play regularly? I think you should do it. There was a player a few years ago that made Western that came right out of Midget AA. My advice would be to find a competitive skate in the summer that involves pros and university players. Skate as much as you can, the more the better. Let it be known what your intentions are and train hard so you can have a head start on other players going into camp. Play your game and use your strengths, whatever they may be. Finally, keep your mouth shut unless you’re communicating during a shift. The coaches will notice you if you’re good enough, don’t worry about that. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Tex76

Hart work

Feb 18, 2019
Have you continued to play regularly? I think you should do it. There was a player a few years ago that made Western that came right out of Midget AA. My advice would be to find a competitive skate in the summer that involves pros and university players. Skate as much as you can, the more the better. Let it be known what your intentions are and train hard so you can have a head start on other players going into camp. Play your game and use your strengths, whatever they may be. Finally, keep your mouth shut unless you’re communicating during a shift. The coaches will notice you if you’re good enough, don’t worry about that. Good luck to you.
Yeah I’ve been playing regularly at least 3-4 times a week after AAA. Play against a lot of ECHL, AHL and Former OHL guys. And considering that my brother played 4 years in the OHL and 2 years at York university on their varsity team, I get to keep my skills sharp. I’m a big 6’3 power forward type of player so I’m not really worried about my size. My hands could definitely use some work though. A lot of people say that I can’t do it and that it’s not worth the time, but I don’t care about the naysayers. And thanks for taking the time to reply and giving me some advice, I really appreciate it bro. I’m definitely going to tryout and give it my all till my last breath!!!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So doing some googling at my local U of Alberta, it looks like they have had open try outs in the past at least (couldn't find anything for 2019). It didn't sound like it was a pure "open" tryouts where literally anyone could just walk on, but you could email the coach with your hockey resume. You had to at lest have played at midget AAA level.

As long as you think you won't embarrass yourself, then by all means give it a try! You have nothing to lose.

But also be honest - you probably have a shot, but not a great shot. The team's roster is going to be mostly set, so you're competing for just a handful of open roster spots. And since the coaches haven't seen you play, it's harder to displace someone who the coaches are more familiar with.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Yeah I’ve been playing regularly at least 3-4 times a week after AAA. Play against a lot of ECHL, AHL and Former OHL guys. And considering that my brother played 4 years in the OHL and 2 years at York university on their varsity team, I get to keep my skills sharp. I’m a big 6’3 power forward type of player so I’m not really worried about my size. My hands could definitely use some work though. A lot of people say that I can’t do it and that it’s not worth the time, but I don’t care about the naysayers. And thanks for taking the time to reply and giving me some advice, I really appreciate it bro. I’m definitely going to tryout and give it my all till my last breath!!!

Yes, go get it my friend and forget the naysayers. They just want to be in your position but can’t and they don’t want to see you succeed. They may try to slow your progress down so stay far away from them and do your thing. Use it as motivation. Be the first one on the ice and stick handle through pucks to work in your hands. Do the same at the end of the skate. You got this bro.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This is so wholesome, I love it. Good luck dude and keep us posted!

Go Blues!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad