CIS Hockey - Where to start?

lmnop

Jul 1, 2017
Looking to get into watching, reading and potentially even covering University hockey in Toronto and the surrounding areas. Does anyone have any tips, resources or just general knowledge of the game at the University level?

Thanks in advance!

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Looking to get into watching, reading and potentially even covering University hockey in Toronto and the surrounding areas. Does anyone have any tips, resources or just general knowledge of the game at the University level?

Thanks in advance!

Spent three years working with Carleton (2014-16) and uOttawa (2016-17), and can tell you the following things:
  • It's a great league. Major-junior level hockey in often Jr. B-level surroundings.
  • Any coverage you provide will likely be well-received by teams that are often forgotten by their own schools/Ath Depts/students.
  • It's really rewarding but don't expect there to be much of a market for your work beyond parents and the occasional super fan or player.
  • Toronto-wise, U. of T. has a great rink and a horrendous program. They might've been the worst team in Canada last season. New head coach (Ryan Medel, former Carleton ass't) could begin the turnaround, but it likely won't be pretty.
  • Ryerson is a very good team that regularly plays in front of <200 fans.

A good starting point/contact would be Victor Findlay (Twit: @Finder_24)

Good luck and enjoy this hidden gem of a league!

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Don't forget oua.tv - every league game is available online. Once the season starts, that's your best bet to ramp up on teams/players.

lmnop

Jul 1, 2017
Don't forget oua.tv - every league game is available online. Once the season starts, that's your best bet to ramp up on teams/players.

Spent three years working with Carleton (2014-16) and uOttawa (2016-17), and can tell you the following things:
  • It's a great league. Major-junior level hockey in often Jr. B-level surroundings.
  • Any coverage you provide will likely be well-received by teams that are often forgotten by their own schools/Ath Depts/students.
  • It's really rewarding but don't expect there to be much of a market for your work beyond parents and the occasional super fan or player.
  • Toronto-wise, U. of T. has a great rink and a horrendous program. They might've been the worst team in Canada last season. New head coach (Ryan Medel, former Carleton ass't) could begin the turnaround, but it likely won't be pretty.
  • Ryerson is a very good team that regularly plays in front of <200 fans.

A good starting point/contact would be Victor Findlay (Twit: @Finder_24)

Good luck and enjoy this hidden gem of a league!

Awesome stuff, thanks so much!

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Thanks in advance!

As mentioned already, Victor Findley at Ryerson is a great resource.

CIS / U Sport hockey doesn't draw that well in the GTA, especially considering how good the brand of hockey is. However, in the Maritimes, all seven schools place in the top 10 for attendance every year, with UNB the clear leader with an average of 2300 fans (V-Red numbers get boosted a bit by two traditional sell-outs involving school kids, but there are at least 1600 to 1800 fans at every game).

Since there in no inter-conference play, you won't see the AUS or CanWest teams unless you watch their games online (or you live in NS or PEI where Aliant has a game on TV every Friday night).

UofT has been a disappointment for years, considering how dominant they were in the 1970's and early '80's (a bit like the Leafs I guess ...)

If they were ever to get more serious about recruiting, which Ryerson has, UofT could easily be competitive, especially since they now play in arguably the softest division in the OUA. Since UofT has tons of good grad programs they could also add AUS or CanWest players with a year of eligibility left (McGill has done very well at this).

lmnop

Jul 1, 2017
As mentioned already, Victor Findley at Ryerson is a great resource.

CIS / U Sport hockey doesn't draw that well in the GTA, especially considering how good the brand of hockey is. However, in the Maritimes, all seven schools place in the top 10 for attendance every year, with UNB the clear leader with an average of 2300 fans (V-Red numbers get boosted a bit by two traditional sell-outs involving school kids, but there are at least 1600 to 1800 fans at every game).

Since there in no inter-conference play, you won't see the AUS or CanWest teams unless you watch their games online (or you live in NS or PEI where Aliant has a game on TV every Friday night).

UofT has been a disappointment for years, considering how dominant they were in the 1970's and early '80's (a bit like the Leafs I guess ...)

If they were ever to get more serious about recruiting, which Ryerson has, UofT could easily be competitive, especially since they now play in arguably the softest division in the OUA. Since UofT has tons of good grad programs they could also add AUS or CanWest players with a year of eligibility left (McGill has done very well at this).

I appreciate all the feedback, information and responses.

I have followed Victor, hopefully he follows back as I wanted to ask him a few things. I created a new account solely for this - if you are interested - @usportsdev

I just started researching for a piece about the Varsity Blues. I've reached out to their new head coach Ryan Medel. I will keep yall posted or follow along on twitter.

Thanks again

lmnop

Jul 1, 2017
Does OUA.tv have a monthly subscription fee?

I don't drive and am Toronto based so I feel like I will be using it a lot.

tia

lmnop

Jul 1, 2017
I appreciate all the feedback, information and responses.

I have followed Victor, hopefully he follows back as I wanted to ask him a few things. I created a new account solely for this - if you are interested - @usportsdev

I just started researching for a piece about the Varsity Blues. I've reached out to their new head coach Ryan Medel. I will keep yall posted or follow along on twitter.

Update: Coach Medel and I will be speaking next week for a piece RE: the future of UofT MHKY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad