News Article: Circle of Grit: Georges Laraque’s Unfinished Symphony with the Canadiens

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
Just wrote this, here's my substack link for those who would like to read past stuff, would love you guys to give me your opinion, btw thanks to all of those here who made my first ever article a top link on Habsworld. :

In an almost ironic acknowledgment of their predicament, the Montreal Canadiens under Bob Gainey in 2010 severed ties with George Laraque, deeming him a distraction and, implicitly, an impediment to the playoff aspirations. Gainey, a figure never distant from controversy—labeling Brisebois-booing fans ‘yellow’ and fostering close connections with select players (recall the long walk with Alex Kovalev)—was blunt in his dismissals when he deemed players detrimental to his core’s ascendancy (Mike Ribeiro springs to mind).

Little did Gainey realize, he had inadvertently disarmed his team. In a division boasting the likes of Zdeno Chara and Milan Lucic, the notion of ‘team toughness’ seemed illusory. Fourteen months later, with Laraque's contract still active, the Habs’ captain, Max Pacioretty, was driven into a stanchion by Chara, an incident resulting in a broken neck and sidelining Pacioretty for the playoff showdown against the Bruins—who would go on to win the Stanley Cup that summer.

Laraque’s own controversies notwithstanding, he remained circumspect on the details surrounding his departure from the Canadiens, leaving the burden of explanation on their shoulders. The oft-injured forward transitioned seamlessly from hockey, advocating for Haitian causes, embracing veganism, and morphing into a radio personality with a narrative as unyielding as his playing style.

In his radio endeavors, Laraque has become the voice of the everyday fan, unfiltered yet discerning, tapping into the city’s hunger for a Stanley Cup champion. The Canadiens' evolving young core, against the backdrop of Ryan Reeves joining the Leafs and Lucic's return to Boston, underscores the team’s imperative for a tougher, grittier on-ice presence. The roles of Arber Xhekaj and Michael Pezzetta are pivotal, but the memory of careers like Mike Komisarek’s, marred by the inability to counter formidable opponents, lingers ominously. Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes surely recognize the significance of impending encounters between Lucic, Reeves, and Xhekaj—a juncture that could dictate the Habs’ trajectory for years.

Which loops the narrative back to Laraque. This summer, he extended an uncharacteristically direct offer to train the Habs’ enforcers, noting Xhekaj’s potential yet pinpointing flaws in his fighting stance. Laraque’s influence appears tangible, with glimpses of him possibly training Pezzetta captured surreptitiously.

As training camp concludes, and the Canadiens gear up for a pivotal 2023-2024 season, the discussions around retired players influencing the team’s journey resurface. Laraque’s post-playing endeavors signify his potential impact, comparable to Paul Byron and Stephane Robidas, in sculpting the Canadiens’ destiny.

The Canadiens stand on the precipice of a transformative season, a test of resilience, grit, and evolution. The integration of figures like Laraque could be the linchpin in navigating this challenging terrain. Here’s hoping the Habs discern this before the gloves hit the ice.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Laraque wussed out when Lucic was running all over us in 2008-09. He had one job and he wouldn't do it, he needed to pull a Darren McCarty and pummel him like a turtling Claude Lemieux if needed. That's my enduring memory of Laraque as a Hab.

We needed a crazy mofo like McGrattan back then. BGL , for all his pugilistic prowess , was not nutty enough to deal with the Lucic , Peters , Orr etc bad boys of the east. He was selective of who he was fighting. Laraque was one if not the best fighter in the league but as an enforcer as in playing the enforcer role he was not that great when with the Habs.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Laraque wussed out when Lucic was running all over us in 2008-09. He had one job and he wouldn't do it, he needed to pull a Darren McCarty and pummel him like a turtling Claude Lemieux if needed. That's my enduring memory of Laraque as a Hab.

I heard Laraque say today that it was Lucic who didn't want to fight (because of his coach).

Now I don't know if he was talking about the same timeframe that you're refering to.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Laraque didn't wuss out, Lucic wanted nothing to do with him. Laraque was told by Jacques Martin not to fight as well, and Laraque wasn't the kind of pugilist to jump on a guy and start beating him up. (Although he should have)

The responsibility lied on the shoulders of our GM for building such a weak and small team. If the opponent is hitting to hurt, it's up to you to build a team that can counter.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Big George wouldn't do his job..............he said he had to send out invitations according to the code, and if guys did not want to go, he would not engage.........
Big Joke he was...............sent away with his money, and told to stay away.
Waste of cap, and money!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Chara, Lucic and co wiped their butts with his "code". Biggest p***y enforcer ever. Now he's shitting on Slaf every chance he gets.

Reactions: FloJack

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
good piece!
I know Georges a bit, and it was a brilliant marketing move on his part for him to sign in Montreal. And he knew it would set him up.
It's also well known he always hated to fight. He was great at it, but he hated it and it caused him much anxiety. When the Bruins bullied the CH into signing him, he did his job and fought and kept things relatively calm because of his reputation. But he never liked doing it, and he certainly hated it even more towards the ends of his career.
By that time it was clear to Gainey, he was more interested in his burgeoning, vegan lifestyle, investing in kombucha (Rise),vegan restaurants and becoming a sports media celebrity in Montreal - which he absolutely has.

that was the distraction - and It's why Gainey sent him home

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Laraque is an idiot and was a distraction, Gainey was correct to dump him and Ribeiro was one of the most self centered players ever to wear a Habs sweater.

Reactions: BLONG7

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I think you got it the other way around sir, Lucic was avoiding Laraque like the plague and never had any intention of engaging.
Should he have jumped Lucic? Maybe, big big George was not that type of guy.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
laraque was not going to stop Chara from shoving Pacioretty into the stantion.

What it comes down to is that the Bruins couldn't beat the Habs, and they were frustrated. Remember that the Habs were up 4-0 in this game too when Chara made the decision not to get embarrassed further and took out Pacioretty dangerously.

Heck, if you recall that year, the Bruins still needed game 7 ot to knock out a canadiens team that had no Markov and no Pacioretty.

Laraque does not change the course of history. It precipitated the way it did because Chara was tired of losing to Montreal, and he reached a tipping point while getting dummied on the scoreboard in that particular game.

Reactions: BLONG7 and MasterD

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I heard Laraque say today that it was Lucic who didn't want to fight (because of his coach).

Now I don't know if he was talking about the same timeframe that you're refering to.
Lucic ran away from Laraque. I’m not sure what people wanted from Laraque, you really expected him to Bertuzzi someone???

He’d only fight someone who was willing to fights.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
good piece!
I know Georges a bit, and it was a brilliant marketing move on his part for him to sign in Montreal. And he knew it would set him up.
It's also well known he always hated to fight. He was great at it, but he hated it and it caused him much anxiety. When the Bruins bullied the CH into signing him, he did his job and fought and kept things relatively calm because of his reputation. But he never liked doing it, and he certainly hated it even more towards the ends of his career.
By that time it was clear to Gainey, he was more interested in his burgeoning, vegan lifestyle, investing in kombucha (Rise),vegan restaurants and becoming a sports media celebrity in Montreal - which he absolutely has.

that was the distraction - and It's why Gainey sent him home

I used to gorw up thinking the tough guys loved and craved fighting.

But as I've heard more and more retired enforcers talk about it, it's not uncommon at all for them to be scared, or dealing with anxiety for their next bout. It sounds like more than a few of these guys got stuck in a dilemma where the only way they realize their dream to play in the league is to do a role that they don't necessarily feel comfortable doing.

Reactions: MasterD

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
John Scott and Justin Barron have entered the chat
Bro, just no, Don't start abusing 21 year olds. Tons of guys were shit at 21. I was an asshole at 21. Carey Price was. Just don't. They're 21.

Reactions: BLONG7

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
laraque was not going to stop Chara from shoving Pacioretty into the stantion.

What it comes down to is that the Bruins couldn't beat the Habs, and they were frustrated. Remember that the Habs were up 4-0 in this game too when Chara made the decision not to get embarrassed further and took out Pacioretty dangerously.

Heck, if you recall that year, the Bruins still needed game 7 ot to knock out a canadiens team that had no Markov and no Pacioretty.

Laraque does not change the course of history. It precipitated the way it did because Chara was tired of losing to Montreal, and he reached a tipping point while getting dummied on the scoreboard in that particular game.
Not only that, but the hit on Halpern too. That 2011 Bruins team is as unlikable as they come

Reactions: David Suzuki

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not only that, but the hit on Halpern too. That 2011 Bruins team is as unlikable as they come

The bruins and habs played each other in the playoffs 6 times in a 13 year stretch, and it was the same general story over those 13 years. It's was the small and fast habs against the big bad bruins.

But I'd say that the julien era bruins (which is the era you are referring to) got more obnoxious because they were still taking certain liberties, but then also cried about it in the media, pleading the officials that the Habs were embellishing.

Their fans and media absolutely bought that narrative too.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I used to gorw up thinking the tough guys loved and craved fighting.

But as I've heard more and more retired enforcers talk about it, it's not uncommon at all for them to be scared, or dealing with anxiety for their next bout. It sounds like more than a few of these guys got stuck in a dilemma where the only way they realize their dream to play in the league is to do a role that they don't necessarily feel comfortable doing.
exactly. and it took the lives of many of them via suicide. Many have / had CTE - including Probert

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
exactly. and it took the lives of many of them via suicide. Many have / had CTE - including Probert

I will stay away from the CTE aspect, but probert did not enjoy fighting. I think it's actually a bit sad that probert got pigeonholed into that heavyweight champ label, because he could actually play the game at a high level.

Kelly chase had an interesting comment about probert. Probert was not a fighter he feared the most because even if you lose to him he was not one that was going to hurt you badly.

The more dangerous ones were guys like Tony Twist that actually loved to fight, and literally wanted to kick the crap out of you with no remorse whatsoever.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad