U20: CIBC Canada/Russia series November 5-15th(6-16th for Russia's time zones)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Weak performance...Is it me, or does Bragin want russian CHL players NOT to succeed and make the team?

My guess is he would rather not have to put up with CHL'ers at all. In fact, he only selects a very few every year, and only those who clearly have more talent than guys in Russia. And there is some basis for it. His best teams, such as 2011, have been built around guys playing in Russia. I don't think he trusts guys who have mentally already left Russia for greener pastures overseas. There is nothing wrong with playing overseas, but I think when two guys are relatively even, the Russia-based guy will always be chosen.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
My guess is he would rather not have to put up with CHL'ers at all. In fact, he only selects a very few every year, and only those who clearly have more talent than guys in Russia. And there is some basis for it. His best teams, such as 2011, have been built around guys playing in Russia. I don't think he trusts guys who have mentally already left Russia for greener pastures overseas. There is nothing wrong with playing overseas, but I think when two guys are relatively even, the Russia-based guy will always be chosen.
what do you mean greener pastures, in my mind it's quite the opposite, they get pennies in the chl

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
what do you mean greener pastures, in my mind it's quite the opposite, they get pennies in the chl

My impression is that they don't go overseas to play in the CHL to improve their position in the KHL draft. They have dreams of big money in the NHL, like Ovechkin, Malkin, and so on. The fact that most don't make it is beside the point.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Weak performance...Is it me, or does Bragin want russian CHL players NOT to succeed and make the team?
What do you suggest? And who? They are just dull mediocrities(after glorious development in the CHL).

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
My impression is that they don't go overseas to play in the CHL to improve their position in the KHL draft. They have dreams of big money in the NHL, like Ovechkin, Malkin, and so on. The fact that most don't make it is beside the point.
But they are stupid enough not to realize that Ovechkin, Malkin, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko etc. never played junior hockey in Canada.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I love the reffing conspiracies and talk about how bad the CHL is for development from a select few Russian posters every year this comes around.

The only Russian dman worth a damn the last 20 years came out of the WHL lol when will this ever go to rest?

Reactions: cg98

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Ive watched all four games now. Pretty good hockey so far.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

It’s more likely an issue of familiarity.
Bragin will take a CHLer if that player is clearly better than the Russian based counterpart. However if skill sets are relatively equal, Bragin will go with the Russian based player because he is more familiar with him and knows 100% what to expect.
You can’t have any question marks in a short tourney like the WJC.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It’s more likely an issue of familiarity.
Bragin will take a CHLer if that player is clearly better than the Russian based counterpart. However if skill sets are relatively equal, Bragin will go with the Russian based player because he is more familiar with him and knows 100% what to expect.
You can’t have any question marks in a short tourney like the WJC.

That is pretty close to what I said.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Question;
Is Russia using CHL players only from the WHL, when playing against the WHL stars?
Russian players from the OHL, when playing OHL stars etc.
Or are they using Russian players from all over the 3 leagues, playing the entire series??

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Question;
Is Russia using CHL players only from the WHL, when playing against the WHL stars?
Russian players from the OHL, when playing OHL stars etc.
Or are they using Russian players from all over the 3 leagues, playing the entire series??

They only use WHL players in the WHL games, OHL players in the WHL games, QMJHL players in the QMJHL games.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

They might mean greener pastures as in living in a country with a much higher standard of living + free press and not persecuting gay people.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Russia is up 2-0 in the first intermission. First goal was a random wrist shot from the blue line, second goal was Shen after some Russian pressure. OHL hasn't looked particularly good. Merkley probably stood out the most.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The refereeing in these games is just unbelievable! Russia gets a penalty for "illegal touching," then a second penalty just as the first penalty expires. Still no goal. Then, over near the bench, a Canadian gives a vicious cross-check from behind to a Russian, and because the cross check drove the Russian forward, the Russian gets a diving penalty. That is a Canadian referees favorite call when they play Europeans. No Canadian ref has ever called a diving penalty on a Canadian. Its unpatriotic.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The refereeing in these games is just unbelievable! Russia gets a penalty for "illegal touching," then a second penalty just as the first penalty expires. Still no goal. Then, over near the bench, a Canadian gives a vicious cross-check from behind to a Russian, and because the cross check drove the Russian forward, the Russian gets a diving penalty. That is a Canadian referees favorite call when they play Europeans. No Canadian ref has ever called a diving penalty on a Canadian. Its unpatriotic.

Marginal crosscheck (though yes, a crosscheck) followed by a marginal dive in which the player managed to go from falling to his knees to wiping out on his stomach. When the stakes are this high though, with the nation waiting with bated breath, the refs knows that his life is in danger if he doesn't give into the harsh demands of the tens of thousands in attendance.

Reactions: thrillhous

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Russia is up 2-0 in the first intermission. First goal was a random wrist shot from the blue line, second goal was Shen after some Russian pressure. OHL hasn't looked particularly good. Merkley probably stood out the most.

Formenton for sure
Merkley is pretty calm
This team is going to be some tough to pick

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Formenton for sure
Merkley is pretty calm
This team is going to be some tough to pick

Yeah Formenton was Canada's best in the second period. He's a lock. Tippett is as disappointing as always. I think that the only absolute locks I would cite (excluding goaltenders) thus far in this series are Glass, Smith, Formenton, Hayton and Bouchard. I wasn't even that impressed with Bouchard last game, but seeing the OHL without him I have an increased appreciation. The series isn't the be and and end all when it comes to camp invites but it isn't making things easier in my eyes. I expect Frost and Suzuki from the OHL but they haven't really impressed me.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Marginal crosscheck (though yes, a crosscheck) followed by a marginal dive in which the player managed to go from falling to his knees to wiping out on his stomach. When the stakes are this high though, with the nation waiting with bated breath, the refs knows that his life is in danger if he doesn't give into the harsh demands of the tens of thousands in attendance.

Lol, wasn't it stick holding?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad