U20: CIBC Canada/Russia series November 5-15th(6-16th for Russia's time zones)

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
The refereeing is a joke. It always has been in this tournament. It is just something the Russians have to live with if they want to participate. The penalty last night in the last 2 minutes, when Russia trails by one goal, says it all! The ratio is always 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Canada. The fact is that these refs live in Canada surrounded by Canadians, and they don't want to be the one who makes the call that results in a Canadian loss, even if its the right call. Pure survival.
As an American, I think you are way overthinking things lol

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
The refereeing is a joke. It always has been in this tournament. It is just something the Russians have to live with if they want to participate. The penalty last night in the last 2 minutes, when Russia trails by one goal, says it all! The ratio is always 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Canada. The fact is that these refs live in Canada surrounded by Canadians, and they don't want to be the one who makes the call that results in a Canadian loss, even if its the right call. Pure survival.

I had some time over the lunch-hour and compiled stats from the official website to show how stupid your comment was. But, alas:
With 91 games played since this series’ conception, the WHL/OHL/Q received more powerplays in 64 of them. Russia received the upper hand in man advantages in 17 games. Equal amount of PPs was given to both teams for 10 games.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I don't want to imagine what would happen to the ref who didn't give the WHL/OHL/QMJHL five times the powerplays that Russia received. The only question is whether he would be killed or merely run out of the country.

Reactions: NyQuil

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's hard to complain about the game. Officiating was good, we played with a lot of patience and managed to win. Even scored on PP.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's hard to complain about the game. Officiating was good, we played with a lot of patience and managed to win. Even scored on PP.
We played with no real creativity whatsoever. Grinded this one out. Both teams were again nothing to write home about.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't want to imagine what would happen to the ref who didn't give the WHL/OHL/QMJHL five times the powerplays that Russia received. The only question is whether he would be killed or merely run out of the country.
Is that how you handle things over there? Because it sounds really weird.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
i couldn't pick out any canadian forward that stood out last night.
Glass is a sure pick and i like Leason. Would they pick a Sutter for fourth line?? maybe

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Glass is a sure pick and i like Leason. Would they pick a Sutter for fourth line?? maybe

You shouldn't forget, that Team Russia was significantly older, that WHL. We didn't have any 2019 draft players and very few 2018. That's why Bragin doesn't like to invite 17 yo to his teams. You can have all the talent in the world, but still be not good enough to compete vs guys, who are not just 2 years older, but the best 2-years-older in the world.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Is that how you handle things over there? Because it sounds really weird.

Only in cases of the upmost importance, like the results of this series.

Yeah honestly I think that the WHL games provided more questions than answers. Glass wasn't productive but his ability was evident enough. McKenzie says that it will be a small camp, so it wouldn't be surprising if most of the more noticeable players in these past two games aren't even invited.

Reactions: NyQuil

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Over the course of 2 games, it certainly seems as though Russia was the better team. Their "hockey school" skills showed, and that enabled them to control the puck in the Canadian zone. They also played with much more determination in Game 2. It will be interesting to see how they match up against the OHL.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The first OHL game is 2-1 in favour of the OHL at the first intermission. I think the shots are only 4-3 OHL. Ratcliffe scored and then Entwistle scored on a penalty shot, Shen scored late in the period for Russia. Hayton looks good.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I didnt come away really impressed with anyone in this game. I thought Hayton was solid (even outside of that nice goal) but no one did much to really stand out. Bouchard is pretty poised back there as well.

I came away unimpressed with Tippett. Not a fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad