U20: CIBC Canada/Russia series November 5-15th(6-16th for Russia's time zones)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia brought no game breakers. Nor did Canada. Hilarious reffing as always. That diving call was particularily hilarious. WHL must be a bad league if they can't do more against that russian team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Both teams didn't show any system, so the game looked really sloppy. Alright, I hope the next one will be better. That kid Leason should be on Canada WJC roster, btw, was the best player on WHL team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russia brought no game breakers. Nor did Canada. Hilarious reffing as always. That diving call was particularily hilarious. WHL must be a bad league if they can't do more against that russian team.

That embellishment/tripping call was weird.

I probably would have just called the trip on the WHL. The Russian player did embelish a bit, not enough to deserve the call.

The WHL had some calls against them too. On balance it evens out. Our refs are honourable and this series is used to pay homage to our 1972 history. We have nothing to gain by being unfair, this series is an exhibition for the WJC.

Again, there is a reason why Canada chooses Russia for this 6 game series over the Yanks and Tre Kronor. You are the closest to our historical equal and we honour that tradition. Let’s be honest, Canada v Russia games are always the best. The world needs Canada v Russia hockey.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That embellishment/tripping call was weird.

I probably would have just called the trip on the WHL. The Russian player did embelish a bit, not enough to deserve the call.

The WHL had some calls against them too. On balance it evens out. Our refs are honourable and this series is used to pay homage to our 1972 history. We have nothing to gain by being unfair, this series is an exhibition for the WJC.

Again, there is a reason why Canada chooses Russia for this 6 game series over the Yanks and Tre Kronor. You are the closest to our historical equal and we honour that tradition. Let’s be honest, Canada v Russia games are always the best. The world needs Canada v Russia hockey.

And why did they give the last minor to our player? Yeah, the broadcasting was broken, so the anlgle was bad, but still, I personally didn't see anything close to deserving the call. It looked like, our player was baffled by the call as well.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
WHL looked poor, but these teams usually look sluggish because of poor chemistry with their teammates and within the system. Despite the sloppy hockey, I thought Glass, Foote, Bellerive, Woo, Brook and Byram had good games.

Foote especially surprised me, he's a bit of a poor skater, but he's got a powerful shot, strong on the puck, and he makes mature plays with the puck which separates him from the other junior players. Could see him in the Batherson role potentially if he makes the team.

I thought the Russian D was good, they didn't give the Canadian forwards time with the puck, hard to be creative against them.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
And why did the give the last minor to our player? Yeah, the broadcasting was broken, so the anlgle was bad, but still, I personally didn't see anything close to deserving the call. It looked like, our player was baffled by the call as well.

Honestly, I missed the angle.

You can see my previous post where I asked why a penalty was called.

Assuming bad faith would be a mistake. This series is used for the two superpowers to test our youngsters against each other. I highly doubt bad faith is the case.

Calling a cheap penalty literally means nothing. This tournament is used for Bragin and the Russians to test themselves against our CHL teams.

With everything going on the world, remember there is a reason Canadians play a series against Russian kids. We don’t do this for the Yanks, Swedes, or Finns.

Again, maybe it’s not us who have changed but you. Russia will always be our most respected rival in hockey, and I like to think Canada will always be Russia’s most respected rival.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
WHL looked poor, but these teams usually look sluggish because of poor chemistry with their teammates and within the system. Despite the sloppy hockey, I thought Glass, Foote, Bellerive, Woo, Brook and Byram had good games.

Foote especially surprised me, he's a bit of a poor skater, but he's got a powerful shot, strong on the puck, and he makes mature plays with the puck which separates him from the other junior players. Could see him in the Batherson role potentially if he makes the team.

I thought the Russian D was good, they didn't give the Canadian forwards time with the puck, hard to be creative against them.

It was more like Russian forechecking overall, not just D. We have a gritty team, it's just no high level talent. At least amongst forwards. On defense, I'd say Alekseyev, Olshansky and Romanov can be considered good prospects.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Honestly, I missed the angle.

You can see my previous post where I asked why a penalty was called.

Assuming bad faith would be a mistake. This series is used for the two superpowers to test our youngsters against each other. I highly doubt bad faith is the case.

Calling a cheap penalty literally means nothing. This tournament is used for Bragin and the Russians to test themselves against our CHL teams.

With everything going on the world, remember there is a reason Canadians play a series against Russian kids. We don’t do this for the Yanks, Swedes, or Finns.

Again, maybe it’s not us who have changed but you. Russia will always be our most respected rival in hockey, and I like to think Canada will always be Russia’s most respected rival.

Well, I ain't whining, because the game was so bad, so I don't see any point to whine about the outcome, it's just bad officiating didn't help at all. It almost looked like, we started to outplay WHLers, and officials didn't like it.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Very boring game. I thought Russia was the better team. They controlled the puck around the Canadian net the entire game, but they didn't fight hard enough to put it in. Too passive.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well, I ain't whining, because the game was so bad, so I don't see any point to whine about the outcome, it's just bad officiating didn't help at all. It almost looked like, we started to outplay WHLers, and officials didn't like it.

Doubt it. The refs would have called it how they saw it.

Overall, the Russians played a good third period. Bragin will bring a team full of tough, heart and soul type 19 year olds to Canada for the 2019 WJC.

Russia will be a tough, give everything they have type team. Bragin will have his usual squad.

I’m expecting a big, left shot driven, 19 year old team in my country. I believe in Bragin’s formula and have full expectations that we see Canada v Russia for Gold in the final.

Be tougher than the Yanks, Swedes, and Finns and the Russians will win. If Russia prepares properly they’ll be those teams and meet Canada for Gold.

Hockey is our Game. Gold Canada Gold!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

Forgot about Foote. He played well. Byram is a future stud. Excellent player.
Leason really surprised me. He is very good.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That was one of the most boring games I've seen in this series over the years. I am surprised to see several people speak positively about Brook and Woo. I didn't like Woo's game at all, especially when he blew it on the first goal. Brook's skating worried me, particularly given that his WHL coach is the coach of the team this year and named him captain of the WHL team. Glass looked good but faded as the game went on. Same with Smith. Leason was pretty good, as was Fix Wolansky. I'm hoping for more from the second game.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Doubt it. The refs would have called it how they saw it.

Overall, the Russians played a good third period. Bragin will bring a team full of tough, heart and soul type 19 year olds to Canada for the 2019 WJC.

Russia will be a tough, give everything they have type team. Bragin will have his usual squad.

I’m expecting a big, left shot driven, 19 year old team in my country. I believe in Bragin’s formula and have full expectations that we see Canada v Russia for Gold in the final.

Be tougher than the Yanks, Swedes, and Finns and the Russians will win. If Russia prepares properly they’ll be those teams and meet Canada for Gold.

Hockey is our Game. Gold Canada Gold!

The refereeing is a joke. It always has been in this tournament. It is just something the Russians have to live with if they want to participate. The penalty last night in the last 2 minutes, when Russia trails by one goal, says it all! The ratio is always 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Canada. The fact is that these refs live in Canada surrounded by Canadians, and they don't want to be the one who makes the call that results in a Canadian loss, even if its the right call. Pure survival.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I've seen some people chest thump about the Canada-Russia series. Really. But not many.
None of the teams play their best players, so it's weird anyone would. It's a fun showcase of great young talent, nothing more.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I wouldn't give an edge to either team after that boring, disjointed stalemate of a practice looking game. Russia's boardwork was excellent though.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Very boring game. I thought Russia was the better team. They controlled the puck around the Canadian net the entire game, but they didn't fight hard enough to put it in. Too passive.

Next month we'll see some better Canada vs Russia action, don't you worry!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad