CIAU Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
it's CIS

And not only are ther Junior A players, about at least a quarter of the teams are made up of former CHL players. And not just crappy guys, very good players whom just didnt get a sniff from the pro's.

Hellström

Sep 22, 2002
Brock said:
it's CIS

And not only are ther Junior A players, about at least a quarter of the teams are made up of former CHL players. And not just crappy guys, very good players whom just didnt get a sniff from the pro's.

Jeff Zorn, Blair St.Martin, Clayton Pool, Kris Knoblauch of the U of Alberta.
Pool has been at the Oilers camp in 2002, St.Martin has been there in 2003 and did quite good, but if i remember correctly he stated, that he would play NHL, but not AHL. He would rather stay at the University.
I think that the Oilers would´ve loved to have him on the blueline for the Roadrunners.

One guy transferred to Finland and turned pro this (I think it´s Alexandre Tremblay). I´ve read some comments about him beeing the best player of the CIS in the last period.

Cory Cross and Steve Rucchin did become NHLer after playing in the CIs (former CIAU, if understand it the right way)

Sticky*

The Lakehead Thunderwolves (Thunder Bay), who are the #3 ranked team in Canada have a host of former CHL players and one former AHL'er.

Mike Jacobsen (Belleville), Mike Richards (Soo), Joel Sherban (London), Steve Rawski (Missisauga), Mike Self (Windsor), Mike Wherstedht (Missy), Grant McCune (QMJHL), and Chris Cava (AHL).

Would probably beat most junior teams.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bakos said:
Cory Cross and Steve Rucchin did become NHLer after playing in the CIs (former CIAU, if understand it the right way)

Don't forget that Jody Shelley came from Dal University in Halifax, he played one year (or half a year). Funny thing was he almost got cut, funny thinking how a current NHL player could get cut from a varsity team but his style of play doesn't fit in with the CIS's game.

bean32772

Nov 27, 2003
Rusagonis
Visit site
Yannick Tremblay of the Atlanta Thrashers played for St. Thomas University. Many former CIS players from atlantic canada are now playing in the Central Hockey League and excelling. One team, Bossier-Shreveport is amde up of about one quarter of players from two universities(St. Thomas and University of New Brunswick). I believe the university game is an excellent brand of hockey. Many of the guys in this league weren't just quite good enough for the NHL. A lot of guys were the captains and stars of their respective major junior teams. The only problem with university hockey is that they are not allowed to fight(automatic game misconduct). This leads to a lot of stickwork but also allows the smaller players more room to excel. If you get a chance to attend a game I would highly recommend it as I believe the overall game is superior to that of a major junior game.

BCCHL inactive

marshall4 said:
Could a junior A player who is attenting a university play for that univeristy, even if he is still on the CHL roster?

The CHL is Major Junior, not Jr.A.

Anyway, I'm sure there is a rule that says no...besides, there isn't enough time for a player to play for both teams.

As for what is better to watch, I'd take the CHL over the CIS any day. Future NHL stars like Dion Phaneuf could rule the CIS with little effort at all.

Brad Coccimiglio

Feb 28, 2002
Sault Ste. Marie
Visit site
Sticky said:
The Lakehead Thunderwolves (Thunder Bay), who are the #3 ranked team in Canada have a host of former CHL players and one former AHL'er.

Mike Jacobsen (Belleville), Mike Richards (Soo), Joel Sherban (London), Steve Rawski (Missisauga), Mike Self (Windsor), Mike Wherstedht (Missy), Grant McCune (QMJHL), and Chris Cava (AHL).

Would probably beat most junior teams.

You probably meant Jeff Richards from the Soo Greyhounds, not Mike.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
More than half of the UWO Mustangs have CHL experience, including:

Mike Sellan Oshawa Generals
Abe Herbst Sudbury Wolves
Jamie Sokolsky Owen Sound Platers
Chris Haskett Erie Otters
Ryan Held London Knights
Justin Davis Ottawa67's
Mike Stathopoulos London Knights
Michael Rice Erie Otters
Chris Eade Erie Otters
Tim Zafiris London Knights
Jamie Chamberlain Peterborough Petes
Chris Rowan Brampton Battalion
Sean Dixon London Knights
Jeffrey Martin Windsor Spitfires
Jason Davies London Knights
Shawn Thompson Spokane Chiefs
Christopher Berti Erie Otters
Brad Yeo Plymouth Whalers
Matt Bannan Sarnia Sting
Ryan Hare London Knights
Michael D'Alessandro Barrie Colts

Sammy*

Van said:
The
As for what is better to watch, I'd take the CHL over the CIS any day. Future NHL stars like Dion Phaneuf could rule the CIS with little effort at all.
A couple of things. I dont know how much CIS hockey you have ever watched, but it is very, very entertaining & imo is better hockey than Major Junior.
And while you may think that Phaneuf could rule CIS hockey (which I dont agree with), a good CIS team would kick the living crap out of a good CHL team cause of the simple fact the college team is way older & as well, generally the players who play CIS hockey & who played in the CHL were pretty to very good CHL players.
This opinion is buttressed by the fact that every year, the Oiler rookies (who are somewhere between 18-21, in theory are better players than their fellow peers in the CHL, College & Euroland cause they are older & as well, actually get an invite to an NHL camp, which in the grand scheme of things, very few do) play the Uof A Golden Bears & generally the Bears win.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Sammy said:
A couple of things. I dont know how much CIS hockey you have ever watched, but it is very, very entertaining & imo is better hockey than Major Junior.
And while you may think that Phaneuf could rule CIS hockey (which I dont agree with), a good CIS team would kick the living crap out of a good CHL team cause of the simple fact the college team is way older & as well, generally the players who play CIS hockey & who played in the CHL were pretty to very good CHL players.
This opinion is buttressed by the fact that every year, the Oiler rookies (who are somewhere between 18-21, in theory are better players than their fellow peers in the CHL, College & Euroland cause they are older & as well, actually get an invite to an NHL camp, which in the grand scheme of things, very few do) play the Uof A Golden Bears & generally the Bears win.

I am not sure about teams in the West or East but I hardly doubt an OAU team would beat the crap out of a CHL team. Look at the recent exhibition games played between Team Canada hopefuls, that were made up of CHL players save one college member, and the very best from the Ontario University ranks. The CHL won game one by a score of 2-0 and controlled much of the play. In the second game Team Canada crushed the OAU team 9-1.

Currently five teams from the OAU are ranked in the top 10 in the CIS, so I doubt the other conferences are that much better. One could clearly say that at the very least the top lines in the CHL are much better than the top lines in the CIS and age/strength(the typical BS arguements always used when comparing college to Major A) issues don't matter one bit!

Sammy*

VOB said:
I am not sure about teams in the West or East but I hardly doubt an OAU team would beat the crap out of a CHL team. Look at the recent exhibition games played between Team Canada hopefuls, that were made up of CHL players save one college member, and the very best from the Ontario University ranks. The CHL won game one by a score of 2-0 and controlled much of the play. In the second game Team Canada crushed the OAU team 9-1.

Currently five teams from the OAU are ranked in the top 10 in the CIS, so I doubt the other conferences are that much better. One could clearly say that at the very least the top lines in the CHL are much better than the top lines in the CIS and age/strength(the typical BS arguements always used when comparing college to Major A) issues don't matter one bit!
Your talking about the cream of the cream from across Canada beating the cream from 1 confrence. Furthumore(or along the same lines) there are how many Major Junior teams, like 56. Obviously given only 20 or so players make Team Canada, those players are hardly reflective of the strength of their various teams (all 56 of them).
A CIAU team like the U of A Bears would absolutly annhilate a CHL team. God almighty, they beat the Oiler rookies, most of whom are drafted & drafted pretty high,& actually invited to a pro camp which most CHL players are not. Couple that with the fact that when you look at a team like like the Bears, most of those guys were very highly accomplished Major Junior players. Now they are older, which is a huge advantage.
Like, imagine a team of players who are around 20-24 playing a team where the players are around 17-19. Its an enormous advantage.
If you disagree , please explain to me on how a team like the Bears consistently beats the Oiler rookies, most of whom are drafted (unlike most guys who play major Junior).

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CIS random team would beat CHL ramdom team.

Most of the CIS players are former CHL Players. Plus CIS has older players and they are phsyically larger and stronger.

Last year when ATLANTIC conf allstars played Team Canada in Halifax, the ATL allstars were pushing Team Canada players around, including Tootoo.

You are comparing players aged 16-20 vs players aged 20-25. Obviosuly the CHL has higher skilled players but the CIS players are more mature and developed.

Sammy*

La-La-Laprise said:
Obviosuly the CHL has higher skilled players but the CIS players are more mature and developed.
I agree with everything you say but this (or I would like to carify it).
The cream of the CHL players are more highly skilled, but across the board I gotta believe that the CIAU players are more highly skilled. All you have to do is look at how alot of the players in the CIAU played when they were in the CHL & most of them were very good players (statistically anyways), wheras most guys in the CHL wont put up near the kinda numbers that the CIAU guys did while playing in the CHL.
In other words, there are very, very few guys in the CIAU who were on their teams 3rd/4th lines in the CHL.

hardcore_fan

Apr 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
To the person who asked about athletic scolarships:no they are not given out in Canada.Most CIS players are former CHL players who's education is being payed for by thier former junior team I believe as part of their contract.I belive it's done by the CHL teams as a way to offer an education to those who choose it over the NCAA as a way to get an education if a career in pro hockey doesn't work out.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
CIS random team would beat CHL ramdom team.

Most of the CIS players are former CHL Players. Plus CIS has older players and they are phsyically larger and stronger.

Last year when ATLANTIC conf allstars played Team Canada in Halifax, the ATL allstars were pushing Team Canada players around, including Tootoo.

You are comparing players aged 16-20 vs players aged 20-25. Obviosuly the CHL has higher skilled players but the CIS players are more mature and developed.
The best CIS team could probably beat most CHL teams, but the average CIS player will not get any higher than the ECHL in North America. (Granted, there are a few exceptions)

BCCHL inactive

hardcore_fan said:
To the person who asked about athletic scolarships:no they are not given out in Canada.Most CIS players are former CHL players who's education is being payed for by thier former junior team I believe as part of their contract.I belive it's done by the CHL teams as a way to offer an education to those who choose it over the NCAA as a way to get an education if a career in pro hockey doesn't work out.

Each league has its own education program. I'm not sure of the OHL and QMJHL specifics, but WHL teams pay their players one year of post-secondary education (to a Canadian post-secondary institution) for every year played in the league.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Sammy said:
I agree with everything you say but this (or I would like to carify it).
The cream of the CHL players are more highly skilled, but across the board I gotta believe that the CIAU players are more highly skilled. All you have to do is look at how alot of the players in the CIAU played when they were in the CHL & most of them were very good players (statistically anyways), wheras most guys in the CHL wont put up near the kinda numbers that the CIAU guys did while playing in the CHL.
In other words, there are very, very few guys in the CIAU who were on their teams 3rd/4th lines in the CHL.

I have to disagree. Perhaps teams such as an Alberta has players who were stars in the CHL, the majority of teams have a ton of players who were your typical third liner or 5th/6th defenceman in the CHL.

The CIS is for all intent and purposes the end of the line for many of its players. Yes there are a few who go on to the minor pro ranks and Europe but very few graduate to the AHL level of play, let alone the NHL.

Sammy*

VOB said:
I have to disagree. Perhaps teams such as an Alberta has players who were stars in the CHL, the majority of teams have a ton of players who were your typical third liner or 5th/6th defenceman in the CHL.

The CIS is for all intent and purposes the end of the line for many of its players. Yes there are a few who go on to the minor pro ranks and Europe but very few graduate to the AHL level of play, let alone the NHL.
Well , one could easily say that the CHL is the end of the line for most CHL players, because the majority of those guys would not be good enough to play CIAU hockey, never mind minor pro.
Just my opinion.

Sammy*

Douggy said:
The best CIS team could probably beat most CHL teams, but the average CIS player will not get any higher than the ECHL in North America. (Granted, there are a few exceptions)
Based on how the Oiler rookies do against the U of A Bears, the best CIAU team would crush the best CHL team, & the average CHL guy would have a tough time even making a CIAU team.
IMO of course.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Sammy said:
Based on how the Oiler rookies do against the U of A Bears, the best CIAU team would crush the best CHL team, & the average CHL guy would have a tough time even making a CIAU team.
IMO of course.

Really, you really think that? Well I went through some rosters of CIS teams and nothing can be further from the truth. A team like Windsor for example has a roster comprised mainly of former Tier II players. A top five team like Western Ontario has a team made up of predominantly former Major Junior players but few if any of them were considered the very best players on their teams let alone the entire OHL.

Take a look at a player like Ryan Held. His stats during his final year in the OHL were 55 gp 18 g 33 a 51 pts. Respectable numbers but not top line numbers. His numbers playing for Western are a bit better- 20gp 12g 13a 25 pts. Justin Davis is the top scorer in the entire CIS with 27 pts in just 12 games so far. His numbers during his final year for the Ottawa 67's were good but not spectacular 61 gp 22g 37a 59pts. He was a second line player as an overager and mainly a third line player as a 19 year old. Here you one of the top players in the CIS in one of the best teams in the league who was not even considered a front line player as a 20 year old in the OHL!

Sure Alberta can beat the Oilers Rookies because Alberta is a team and plays like one. The Oilers Rookies are thrown together in the midst of training camp and are going from competing with one another for spots on the team to all of sudden playing with one another.

We have already established that the cream of the crop from the CHL is better than the best from the CIS and now we have establised that the best players in the CIS were good players in the CHL but not the best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad