Chuck Kobasew

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMA

Mar 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hockey Moose said:
If this guy was in this years draft...where would he probley fit in? Would he be a top 15 pick?

Whats his celing for his NHl career...I saw him a few times, seems like a hard worker but didnt really do much offensive wise...

thoughts?

Can't comment on where he'd fit in this years draft. I'd guess somewhere around 15ish?

As for his ceiling, it's questionable right now. The guy was drafted as a scorer out of college. Sutter had him on the 4th line during the playoffs and he grinded it out. Seemed to me like Sutter was trying to get him to learn the defensive side of the game.

The guy has a nose for the net (as in he takes the puck ot the net well...). He had a ton of chances this year, but just couldn't seem to finish them.

I still think he has the upside of a 2nd line winger who pots 20-25 goals and 50-60 points each year. Whether he can fulfill that potential is anotehr thing altogether.

He needs to bulk up a bit more though. Mind you he is only 22 years old..

vega007

the guy is a bum, three years from now he'll be playing in a roller hockey league with Eric Nystrom

Seriously though, I'd say third line winger next year if things go his way. It all depends on whether Sutter keeps together the Nilson Neminen Donovan line.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
He just needs some confidence and to get on a roll and then we'll see his scoring touch. As another poster mentioned a little bit more strength would go a long ways as well.

I've seen him numerous times in camp/exhibition and he probably has the better hands in close to the net of any Flame. The skill is there, he just needs the opportunity and confidence. Look for him to get more time on the top two lines next season and I'd expect a significant increase in his numbers. He's really shown improvement in the grinding game and that will get him more ice time under Sutter.

Saying he'll be in roller hockey in 3 years is ridiculous. He'll shake out as a 2nd line forward, 20-35 goals IMO, not as many assists as he isn't a great playmaker.

Avery4Byng*

20-35 goals is really pushing it. After watching him in Junior it was pretty noticeable that Chuck enjoyed playing the weaker teams and racking up the points against them but was invisible come tough teams and guys shadowing him. Took alot of dumb penalties in Junior too, but seemed alot more focused this year with the Flames. I think 3rd liner would be a better fit for him

vega007

Alot of Chucks future will depend on Nilsons ability to take face offs. If he improves, and centres a line with Neminen at LW and Donovan at RW, then Chuck will be relegated to third line status at best.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
vega007 said:
Alot of Chucks future will depend on Nilsons ability to take face offs. If he improves, and centres a line with Neminen at LW and Donovan at RW, then Chuck will be relegated to third line status at best.

That doesn't mean Chuck won't play on the powerplay and that the 2nd and 3rd lines under Sutter roll pretty equally most of the time.

Chuck will get his chances to score in the future.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
vega007 said:

Why? That has nothing to do with anything. Chuck is young and WILL NOT be pushed into a higher role when we do NOT need him to be. Sutter is bringing in guys nice and slow.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
from what i saw in the playoffs he was very impressive.. good wheels.. undersized but plays big and can throw his weight around.. he was also good around the net.. if he gets that college scoring touch back.. he could a poor mans verbeek in his prime..

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
tray said:
20-35 goals is really pushing it. After watching him in Junior it was pretty noticeable that Chuck enjoyed playing the weaker teams and racking up the points against them but was invisible come tough teams and guys shadowing him.

Which is interesting, because in his one year at BC he really turned up his game against the better teams, with of course the high point being named the Most Outstanding Player of the 2001 Frozen Four. I guess what it means is that it's just way too early to tell with him. I could see him becoming a solid 2nd-line player like a Martin Gelinas type.

calgARI 04

Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
tray said:
20-35 goals is really pushing it. After watching him in Junior it was pretty noticeable that Chuck enjoyed playing the weaker teams and racking up the points against them but was invisible come tough teams and guys shadowing him. Took alot of dumb penalties in Junior too, but seemed alot more focused this year with the Flames. I think 3rd liner would be a better fit for him

As Hockey Moose said, Kobasew was an absolute clutch performer for BC. He had 2 goals and an assist (on the game winning OT goal) in the NCAA Championship game. He put up spectacular numbers in his one year at BC and his GWP may have led the nation if I remember correctly. This was all as a freshman. He was thus dubbed as an absolute clutch player for the draft.
Although I didn't see him at all in the WHL, 41 goals in 57 games (I think) is pretty damn impressive and at least some of those goals had to have come in game breaking situations. It's simply too many goals in too few games for them all to be when the game was already decided.
Although he was inconsistent this year, his effort was always there. The guy has really learned how to battle. With Reinprecht healthy and possibly McAmmond back, the Nieminen-Nilson-Donovan line (if kept together) will not be the second line. I expect Sutter to bring in another center this summer and if Conroy is re-signed, then Nilson could very well find himself back on the wing. Regardless, I expect Kobasew to get second line minutes next year as well as second unit powerplay minutes (seeing as the Nieminen-Nilson-Donovan line almost never played on the powerplay). I think he'll score 20 next year and has a ceiling of 35.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I was impressed with Kobasew in the playoffs despite not producing much (or at all?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->