Prospect Info: Christoph Bertschy (NHL Debut 11/7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/sport/hockey/Wegen-Boucher-spiele-ich-in-Bern/story/23078794

I think google has a bit of trouble with the Swiss German, but here's an interesting tidbit:

Q: At 17, you had debuted in the NLA had been called whiz. While the disappointing last season's rise was slowed, partly they were redundant. Did you have some doubts?
A:Of course, this was a difficult situation. In the juniors I had always been regarded as one of the best. At one time I was just an average player. And if I had a less good phase, one was ready to take my place. You have to learn to deal with something first. I helped that, but in mental terms.

Q: Only in March was officially that you stay another year in Bern. You flirted with a move to North America?
A: No. The question was, where I can develop best to be ready for the jump to North America. With Guy Boucher I have an excellent coach, he has a lot of NHL experience. Because Boucher I still play in Bern.

Follows now in summer 2015 move abroad?
A: This is not quite sure. To go overseas, I need to be convinced of the change one hundred percent, must not doubt. I play with the SCB a good year, I can (go) in good spirits - even in the AHL.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im not clear on bertschy's status? i thought he pulled a gunnarson and didnt sign with us? is he still wild property so to speak? thx man!

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
im not clear on bertschy's status? i thought he pulled a gunnarson and didnt sign with us? is he still wild property so to speak? thx man!

I think as part of the renegotiated IIHF transfer agreement from last summer, teams hold drafted players rights for 4 years or age 22, whatever comes first.

As we drafted Gunnarson at 20, we lost the rights after 2 years.

That's my recollection, I'm to lazy to do the googling to support it so I could be off a bit.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He also has a really good mentor in Martin Plüss. The guy's practically a Swiss hockey legend.

http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/sport/hockey/Wegen-Boucher-spiele-ich-in-Bern/story/23078794

I think google has a bit of trouble with the Swiss German

Actually, Swiss German is not a written language but rather a spoken dialect. That article is in "proper" German. With that said, Google struggles with it due to nature of the language, containing many words that have two or more meanings.

I decided to have a go at it, decided my German is still not fluent enough (although I understood most of it), and recruited the help of a local who speaks damn near perfect German, my mother. :laugh:

I wrote a summary of the "important" bits, namely regarding "New Bern" and how this has changed Bertschy's success, since we are mostly interested in his development rather than NLA in general.

Q: (Head coach) Guy Boucher has talked a lot about the "New Bern". Have we seen it so far in the first two games?

Christoph Bertschy (CB): In the game against Biel, for sure. Against Ambri, at least partially. We are still able to play better, and we are nowhere near the finished product yet. It is important that we prove it by hard work.

Q: What does the coach mean by "New SC Bern"?

CB: We play with a lot more intensity. During (previous HC) Antti Törmänen's reign we had a different strategy, namely using one-on one defense in our zone. We have now switched over to zone defense. This means not getting as tired, and being able to clear our end more effectively because we have the required energy. Playing one-on one on D is very tiring, the new strategy suits me much better. Willpower and responsibility are very important in our team now. Everyone is doing their part, and the rotating captaincy is fine. The new instructions brought a fresh breeze in our locker room, improving the atmosphere and bonding the team. Last year, our team spirit started to disappear as the season progressed.

Q: Has this made you more confident regarding a possible playoff spot?

CB:
The league is very evenly matched, and there are no clear favorites. SC Bern is now even more ready for the challenge and wants to win.

Bertschy also credited the coach for putting him in a line with Plüss and Tristan Scherwey, saying they are able to play a fast game, understand each other well and have a good, natural chemistry together.

To me, this seems like very good news. Not only is Bertschy finally starting to progress amongst men, but his coach is employing a very similar strategy to the MN Wild organization. This serves Bertschy well, if he wants to make the jump. And it looks like he is more than ready to develop in the AHL as well, which is not always the case with European prospects.

The kid always had great talent, it's about time he is starting to put it all together in a senior level. If he has a good season in NLA, who knows, he might make the jump next summer. I, for one, wish him the best of luck. After all, a skilled center with soft hands and natural offensive ability is never a bad thing to have in your prospect pool.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Baertschy to make his NHL debut tonight vs. Tampa Bay. Will play with Vanek & Haula on 3rd line.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm excited to see the kid play. Don't think he'll do much tonight, hopefully he gets more than just one game.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So I literally know nothing about the guy. Scouting report? See he was a '12 late round pick.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Bertschy is a speedy center with good vision and a hard shot. Could improve his stickhandling skills. Lacks size. Can appear selfish at times.
- Ulf Andersson, EP (2013)

Put him on the second line with Granlund & Pominville. They need a shooter.

That'd be the softest line in the West, though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There's been a lot to discuss if I have to go to Page 3 in order to find a Draft prospect thread from (at most) two weeks ago.

Anyways, here's a quick "restocking the cupboard" post on Bertschy and Daniel Gunnarsson.

In the above mentioned article, there was a mocking reference to Risers drafting of Eero Elo in the fifth round. Wasn't he the guy who showed really well in recent play for Finland, or was it another Eero? If it's the same guy, I thought he looked great in the couple of games I saw...

I thought Bertschy looked better in his second game. Was using his speed to put pressure on the puck. I think playing with Porter helped show him how to play in a fourth line role, which is different than being on a scoring line.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Put him on the second line with Granlund & Pominville. They need a shooter.

That'd be the softest line in the West, though.

Shooter? Did you see that wide open look he got charging down the LW.
The one where he hit the goaltender dead center on the numbers with a wrister from 15'..lol Missing a corner high,hitting a post, or even a low far side miss would have qualified him as a shooter. Not a goalie bulls eye.. .lol

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Shooter? Did you see that wide open look he got charging down the LW.
The one where he hit the goaltender dead center on the numbers with a wrister from 15'..lol Missing a corner high,hitting a post, or even a low far side miss would have qualified him as a shooter. Not a goalie bulls eye.. .lol

Your right he should have passed up a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad