Christoffer Ehn

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think he should get a shot at the 4th line next year but he hasn't shown much on offense... If Helm and Glendenning are moved it helps his case for next year but still, we have a few young guys who have really not risen to the occasion this year. Lots of chances to develop and get big time minutes and opportunities and very little to show for. Yzerman likes to have offense on all his lines, I can't see him keeping guys around for pure defense.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes the definition of a meh player. Hes just a body out there and I dont think he PKs or plays well enough defensively to make up for how much offense dies on his stick. Hes not playing with studs but he does absolutely nothing with the puck. I think hes just holding a spot for another bottom 6 center like Pearson to develop. I know Pearson and him are almost the same age but I think Pearson actually has a chance to be a legit fourth line, useful center that does some niche type things like plays the PK and plays a bit physical. Ehn to me is just a warm body like a worse version of Joakim Andersson

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
i agree with newfy , and think he wont be on team next season
I think this is a decent bet. Updating a stat from a month ago, no forward in Red Wings history has fewer points (11) in the first 98 games of his career with Detroit than Ehn dating back to '79-'80 (I can't search data before that). It's partially a reflection of Ehn's talent level, but also a sign of how difficult it is for a player with Ehn's (lack of) production to actually stick in the league (most players of Ehn's ability wash out of the league before they hit that many games).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is a replaceable level player in my opinion. He is ok defensively, but he is largely underwhelming in all other facets of the game, and he won't be 400+ game guy in my opinion, as there will always be better options on any team, minus us right now. Thing is, right now he is in because he at least brings a small add in that he can PK if need be and not be an embarrassment and Perlini is much more useless out there. How many times can Perlini be within 20 feet of the net, and either miss the net completely or get a super weak shot off?

Hes the definition of a meh player. Hes just a body out there and I don't think he PKs or plays well enough defensively to make up for how much offense dies on his stick. Hes not playing with studs but he does absolutely nothing with the puck. I think hes just holding a spot for another bottom 6 center like Pearson to develop. I know Pearson and him are almost the same age but I think Pearson actually has a chance to be a legit fourth line, useful center that does some niche type things like plays the PK and plays a bit physical. Ehn to me is just a warm body like a worse version of Joakim Andersson

I agree for all except I think Ehn is a little better than Andersson, but neither is an NHL'er so that isn't saying a lot. Ehn every now and again makes a really nice defensive play, but with Andersson, nothing he did really ever made me take notice.

Oct 18, 2006
I like him. I think he shows flashes of skill, and I think he’s a good 4th liner. Good size, good skating, I just think he needs to back himself offensively a bit more.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
To me, he's in or right around that Cory Emmerton or Joakim Andersson realm of centers, serviceable enough for a #4/5C and PK role when you either don't have enough cap space to get a better option, or you're waiting for one to materialize from within your own organization.

I think Ehn comes back next season on the bubble. If Yzerman doesn't bring in another center and/or one within the organization doesn't take a regular spot, he probably stays in that #12/13F and spare center spot. If not, they probably aren't worried about waiving/demoting him, where he'd either open up a contract spot if claimed or go down to GR where he won't count as a veteran if he clears.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could be that if Ehn stays with quite cheap contract, he could be more valuable for contender in a cap hell, than for us, because we have lots of cap space to build the future around.

Usually it makes a big difference for a contender, if they have to pay 2.5M for a 4th liner, or get a guy like Ehn to play there for 1M.

I could see Yzerman trading him like De la Rose after he will get some seasons of development and we'll replace him with next guy in line like Pearson or Turgeon.

It did surprise us how much DLR had value, and that was basicly based on his skills as a role player, and being cheap.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
For me, I just don't see anything in Ehn. He's a decent skater but I think at times he's pretty soft on the puck. Or, at least he gets pushed around. There is zero offense to his game and I don't even see him as a plus defender. I think he's only gotten as much time on the roster this season as he has because of the want to keep certain prospects in GR longer for the sake of their developmental curve.

Could Ehn be a warm body on the roster next year? Sure, I think it's possible. But from what I've seen so far, it wouldn't be because of what he brings to the table. Right now, the DRW have a serious lack of centre depth. Ehn has played over others simply because he's a centre and Glendening has been used on the wing quite a bit this season. If it weren't for the position he plays, I really don't think he'd have played anywhere close to the number of NHL games as he has this season

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
He’s a good guy to have now while we hold some of prospects off this roster but easily a person that can get pushed off the roster if someone shows there ready to make the jump into the nhl next year during camp.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ehn is literally a warm body. He can stay or he can go. If he goes, we simply call up another dime a dozen bottom line guy. At the NHL level, he's completely irrelevant. You need guys LIKE him, but you don't need specifically him.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Mark Mowers-lite. But seriously I don’t think he’s particularly valuable in any form. It’s surprising how little he produces because when he does score it usually looks really nice. If he was say a 51 percent face off guy instead of a 41 percent I’d be more vocal in keeping him around.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Personally I think if he was on a contender he wouldn't be in the NHL. He would still be in the A waiting for an injury to get his chance.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd rather have him over Perlini, possibly even Erne. Definitely over Abdelkader. Helm and Glendening are both better.
Agree, the bottom of the list are Perlini, Abdelkader, Erne, then Ehn.

I don't see anybody picking Ehn off waivers, on a contending team even 4th liners get double digit points. Every player on the Caps except Jensen is projecting to hit double digit points easily.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I like Ehn.
He's got more offensive ability than he shows.
But it's up to him to show it. A kid like him is probably petrified of cheating for offense and getting burned on defense.

I think he's got a decent shot at sticking next year, especially if we move Helm or Glendening. I would also imagine Perlini and/or Erne are gone, too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->