Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why would that sour the relationship. It’s the same as Hogberg. He hasn’t officially made the NHL yet. Should be similar AAV to Hogberg as well
I am guessing he thought he had the inside track for a roster spot last year out of training canp and now he has an extra year of experience and never looked out of place. Not exactly similar in any way to Hogberg who has 4 nhl games to his name.

He seems to appreciate that his game still has growing to do though, so i am not too worried about him resenting the two way for the first year.

Reactions: Brannstorm

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I am guessing he thought he had the inside track for a roster spot last year out of training canp and now he has an extra year of experience and never looked out of place. Not exactly similar in any way to Hogberg who has 4 nhl games to his name.

He seems to appreciate that his game still has growing to do though, so i am not too worried about him resenting the two way for the first year.
I really like Wolanin. He's only played 40 games though, so the two-way in year one makes sense to me. He should get more NHL money than AHL money most likely.

Reactions: Brannstorm

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I really like Wolanin. He's only played 40 games though, so the two-way in year one makes sense to me. He should get more NHL money than AHL money most likely.
If we think he will make the team out of camp we probably could have gotten him cheaper on a 1 way.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sorry, what do you mean by that? Cheaper in year two, you mean?
I mean if we offered him a 1 way it would likely be at a reduced salary comared to the nhl pay rate of a 2 way. I.E we offer 1.5 on a 2 way or 1.25 on a 1 way. Just like adding a ntc reduces the amount a player will accept, he gains control of his destiny but sacrifices some salary in return.

Reactions: BigRig4

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Two-way for this year just means that Wolanin's spot isn't guaranteed if Brannstrom outperforms him in camp

Wouldn't say this is the nail in Boro's coffin either. Could see him getting re-signed with Hainsey and DeMelo out the door by the end of the year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Happy this is done,next up is Colin White ....This is another contract that needs to be done quickly

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sorry, what do you mean by that? Cheaper in year two, you mean?

I think the idea is if he's going to be up in the NHL all year anyways, might as well offer a one way, but you could then lower the nhl salary a bit for giving him his guarantee and safety. Maybe 750,000 one way instead of 850,000 on a 2-way.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I mean if we offered him a 1 way it would likely be at a reduced salary comared to the nhl pay rate of a 2 way. I.E we offer 1.5 on a 2 way or 1.25 on a 1 way. Just like adding a ntc reduces the amount a player will accept, he gains control of his destiny but sacrifices some salary in return.
That’s why I thought you were referring to year 2 because the two way in year one is worth $800k in the nhl

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
I except Wolanin in Belleville year 1

Smh...

Chabot DeMelo
Brannstrom Zaitsev
Borowiecki Hainsey

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
First year is a two-way, second year is a one way.

I hope we didn't sour the relationship trying to get him to take 2-way on the first year.

To me, he's likely a top 4 D this year on this team, so 2-way is a bit strange.

I think the 2-way is a you better work your ass off type of contract. I would say that he will likely spend the majority of his time in the NHL through these next two years.

Reactions: JD1

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I except Wolanin in Belleville year 1

Smh...

Chabot DeMelo
Brannstrom Zaitsev
Borowiecki Hainsey

Not to mention jaros. Why did we sign hainsey? he can't skate.

If it was up to me the top 6 would consist of Chabot, Brannstrom, Zaitsev, Demelo, Wolanin, and Jaros with borowiecki and hainsey as "good locker room guys"/ cheerleaders who take their turn coming in when we have injuries or what not. Also have max lajoie who boucher was really excited about...no idea how smith will view him.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
That's an awesome deal to get Wolanin done with a two way this year . That's a solid contract for us.

It's better that he , Lajoie, Brannstrom all marinate more in the A. It's smart

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Super excited for Wolanin, he's probably my fave young player outside of Chabot/Tkachuk
SAme here. He still needs to polish some areas of his game but he sees the game at a very high level which is the most important thing you can have with a young player.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Kicking the can down the road again I see.

A 4 year deal would probably have saved them money in the long run, but costs them less this upcoming season. Sens gonna Sens.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't see how a two way this year is a problem.

The team shouldn't be rewarding someone with 40 career games a 1 way contract.

There could be an argument made that we should have gone longer term on a 1 way to try and lock Wolanin in at a lower rate than he will be worth 2 years from now, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->