Player Discussion Christian Jaros

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would have loved to see Jaros get more ice with the injuries, I dont know how Golobouf played over him he brings way more to the table. Really think he will be needed on a small not very physical d core.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Would have loved to see Jaros get more ice with the injuries, I dont know how Golobouf played over him he brings way more to the table. Really think he will be needed on a small not very physical d core.

I agree but I'm also kind of glad he's been able to spend more time in Belleville and get more comfortable offensively. He has a little bit of offensive upside.

Ideally I'd like to see his game improve to the point where he can play in the top 4 beside Chabot or Brannstrom.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He plays only a few minutes in the game. Not even 10. Why is that? Why dont they use him more often?

D.J. S.M.I.T.H.

I have zero trust in him, he looks like a NHL career killer, doesn’t seem to trust skilled players much and would rather have a Sabourin stopping a puck with his teeth. I mean, it’s possible that he is not capable of developing NHL players. Which young player has improved in the NHL this year? Nick Paul?

I hope I’m wrong and we’ll have a better idea next year as there should be a important infusion of skill. Unless we’re going to see JC Beaudin instead of Norris or Logan Brown?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
D.J. S.M.I.T.H.

I have zero trust in him, he looks like a NHL career killer, doesn’t seem to trust skilled players much and would rather have a Sabourin stopping a puck with his teeth. I mean, it’s possible that he is not capable of developing NHL players. Which young player has improved in the NHL this year? Nick Paul?

I hope I’m wrong and we’ll have a better idea next year as there should be a important infusion of skill. Unless we’re going to see JC Beaudin instead of Norris or Logan Brown?
It’s DJ’s first year as well. I disagree that he doesn’t trust skill. Skilled players who compete will have high usage but floaters are screwed. And quit bad mouthing my boy Beaudin ;)

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
D.J. S.M.I.T.H.

this is ridiculous. he's simply working with the roster he's been given and look at a guy like Tkachuk who has progressed so well under him. look at how much he plays Chsbot as well

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Questionable hockey sense
And you like Zaitsevs game?...

D.J. S.M.I.T.H.

I am also very worried about DJ's usage of players last game was wild.... Could not believe the ice time breakdown overall. Jaros's ice time is a serious concern considering players like Hainsey, Zaitsev and Reilly are getting 20+ minutes. The young players need to play and the coach has to show some confidence and a willingness to accept the same mistakes from all players. This is the perfect opportunity to see what they've got. Smith has to be able to see bigger picture.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It’s DJ’s first year as well. I disagree that he doesn’t trust skill. Skilled players who compete will have high usage but floaters are screwed. And quit bad mouthing my boy Beaudin ;)

To be honest, I have never watched so little Sens hockey in the last 20 years so my opinion is based on what I saw and TOI/GP as well as comments from other users. But it's an impression I have. Like I said I HOPE I'M WRONG but so far I haven't felt like our young players were in good hands with Dj Smith. IMO, he's great to have guys work their ass off in a blue-collar fashion (Connor Brown perfect player for him) but what is our plan? Look like Montreal Canadiens at our peak? You know, they look like the hardest working team at least 90% of the time, but probably going to miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years. My opinion is that Smith is another rookie coach that won't get us anywhere. Wish we had the money and balls to go hard after Gallant.

Note : nothing against Beaudin, he got a nice cup-of-coffee this year but I have a hard time seeing him be more than that

this is ridiculous. he's simply working with the roster he's been given and look at a guy like Tkachuk who has progressed so well under him. look at how much he plays Chsbot as well

First, like I said, I HOPE I'M WRONG. I guess I'll have to explain further because somebody find it "ridiculous"... but remember it is an opinion and I am simply not a DJ Smith believer and it has been like that since the beginning. I also don't care much about coaching and wish I would not spend these minutes writing these lines.

Yes, of course, he works with the line-up he has

Tkachuk is not a pure skill guy, he is a workhorse that creates havoc all over the ice. He has hands but still has work to do regarding being able to use more skill in games. He tries stuff sometimes but he doesn't have great puck control and poise (yet). Tkachuk is progressing yeah but he was already that good last season. He was a 4th OA pick. Thank God Smith hasn't burned him.

Chabot was voted 18th for Norris last season, probably won't get votes this season. He is an effortless skater and one of the smoothest out there. Yes, Smith relies on him a lot because he doesn't have a ton of options. Wolanin has been injured all season and it created a big hole of the left side. Boro, Hainsey and now Reilly are 3rd pairing LDs, and not above average.

So outside of these 2 that were maybe the 2 exceptions, who?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The usage of Batherson during his last call up gives me confidence that young skill players will get their ice time as long as they compete.

On the back end it’s fairly clear that PD will need to find better options for the 2nd pair.

If DJ only trusts Chabot, Zaitsev and Reilly we are screwed. I don’t really see the plan on how PD envisions the back end over the next 2 years.

Chabot - ?????
Brannstrom- Zaitsev (EB should start 3rd pair)
Reilly - ?????

So where does Wolanin play, do we fire Boro into the sun ? Who fills the two empty spots on the right ?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
D.J. S.M.I.T.H.

+1 not a fan. I get trying to win at all costs every game but the way he runs the bench can deflate the confidence of young players.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
+1 not a fan. I get trying to win at all costs every game but the way he runs the bench can deflate the confidence of young players.

The team is far more competitive on a nightly basis than i expected going into the year and that has continued since trading off Pageau, DeMelo, Names and Ennis.

DJ has been a mixed bag, i would like to see the young kids get more development time, but it's a process that were seeing work with Batherson so idk maybe the plan is short leash early on and give them more slack later.

Smith is still ahead of Boucher and Cameron (not to mention Crawford) in my books. I like that we aren't running around in our own end like we did with Maclean.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
i kind dont hate ot playing jaros much and running hainsey into the ground.. belleille needs jaros

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Prospects not doing well under him:

White
Lajoie
Jaros
Braanstrom
Chlapik
Balcers
Abramov

I think it is pretty telling about what type of coach Smith is. He sent two of Boucher’s starting D to the minors.

I think Chaplik has had a good year under DJ.He is online to compete for a 4C type roll next year.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The team is far more competitive on a nightly basis than i expected going into the year and that has continued since trading off Pageau, DeMelo, Names and Ennis.

DJ has been a mixed bag, i would like to see the young kids get more development time, but it's a process that were seeing work with Batherson so idk maybe the plan is short leash early on and give them more slack later.

Smith is still ahead of Boucher and Cameron (not to mention Crawford) in my books. I like that we aren't running around in our own end like we did with Maclean.

I've been (relatively) critical of DJ this season, and even I can admit he's probably the best coach this team has had since Murray. Lots of time for this to change obviously, but it doesn't feel like this is going to be his only kick at the can (the way it ended up being for so many Sens coaches before him). As far as implementing a system I think he's done a better job than any of his predecessors, minus Boucher Year 1, but unlike Boucher he doesn't seem like someone that will be tuned out in Year 2. He's getting this rag tag group to play the right way, if that can translate to a more talented team (in 2-3 years) playing this hard/heavy style this team will be in great shape.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And you like Zaitsevs game?...

I am also very worried about DJ's usage of players last game was wild.... Could not believe the ice time breakdown overall. Jaros's ice time is a serious concern considering players like Hainsey, Zaitsev and Reilly are getting 20+ minutes. The young players need to play and the coach has to show some confidence and a willingness to accept the same mistakes from all players. This is the perfect opportunity to see what they've got. Smith has to be able to see bigger picture.

We might consider that Smith sees the bigger picture and his take as a pro in the industry is that Jaros is never going to cut it...that there isn't anything there to develop

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Prospects not doing well under him:

White
Lajoie
Jaros
Braanstrom
Chlapik
Balcers
Abramov

Prospects not playing under him

Abramov
Balcers
Lajoie
Jaros

They are in the A. Have been all year apart from spot duty

Chaplik looks fine in his role....Brannstrom didn't look physically ready

Reactions: aragorn

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Care to explain how his bench utilization can deflate a player's confidence?

Young player plays
Young player makes mistake
Young player stapled to the bench
Young player ends up with 6-10 minutes of ice-time

There's not surefire (singular) way to develop talent, so some of the kids could still be developing despite the limited ice-times. I'd say his "development" style is hindering a few of our players in the short term though (yet to be determined what the long term effects are).

There's a line of thinking that young players develop through trial and error, through trying new things offensively and playing loose and free. Obviously DJS doesn't abide by that line of thinking and approaches coaching the team differently.

It's just a different strokes for different folks approach to development, imo. No one is wrong (or right) at this stage of the game, given that's it too early to tell how his coaching has affected the young guys.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Young player plays
Young player makes mistake
Young player stapled to the bench
Young player ends up with 6-10 minutes of ice-time

I don't think this has been the case though

Batherson. 2 games. Not ready. See ya. Return trip averaged over 15. Looked great

Brown. Started off with great ice. Just my opinion but i don't believe his ice time dropped due to mistakes, rather i think it dropped due to consistency in his compete level. Good on them for getting him out of there

Chaplik. He's not ever going to be a top 6 C. He's getting 4th line ice which is his future. Lots of guys questioned his being here at all over more "deserving" guys in the A. My take is he was more ready for his role than other guys. He's never going to be a 15 minute a night guy.

Balcers. Has only had emergency call ups. Let's see how it goes down the stretch. I'm expecting 14 minutes a night and some PP time to see what he can do.

White? He's been given plenty of opportunity. Hasn't seized it. Injuries to start. Confidence shot at this point

And the young D. They weren't getting ice to begin with. I don't think DJ sees them as potential NHLers down the line

I don't disagree with what you said. That happens. I just haven't seen it here myself. Who am i missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad