Player Discussion Christian Folin

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Because Benn has been very solid on the final pair. A plus 11 is very good, especially for a guy on the bottom pair. It’s okay to be hopeful for the new guy, but not okay to degrade/diminish Benn’s value to our team.

I think you are overstating Benn's impact on this team , it's easier to look good when the team is doing well. (same as it's easy to look bad when the team is doing poorly)

Benn isn't some horrid AHLer that has no business in the NHL , it's more that I find his style doesn't suit us very well. He's sluggish , sometimes makes questioonable decisions in the defensive zone and often fumbles with the puck under pressure. He's surprised me with his improved point production and his underrated outlet/breakout pass but I'm still of the opinion that we can do better.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
I think you are overstating Benn's impact on this team , it's easier to look good when the team is doing well. (same as it's easy to look bad when the team is doing poorly)

Benn isn't some horrid AHLer that has no business in the NHL , it's more that I find his style doesn't suit us very well. He's sluggish , sometimes makes quesitonable decisions in the defensive zone. He's surprised me with his improved point production and his underrated outlet/breakout pass but I'm still of the opinion that we can do better.

Benn is a very good bottom pairing man, especially when playing on the right side.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Benn is a very good bottom pairing man, especially when playing on the right side.

I guess I'll just have to take your word for it?

He looked very bad at times last year and this year (although he's had some good games as well).
I just notice that he often gets hemmed in the defensive zone and struggles when a speedy forward is on him.

Reactions: TennisMenace

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo

Benn isn't some horrid AHLer that has no business in the NHL , it's more that I find his style doesn't suit us very well. He's sluggish , sometimes makes quesitonable decisions in the defensive zone. He's surprised me with his improved point production and his underrated outlet/breakout pass but I'm still of the opinion that we can do better.

Well, I agree, there is always room to improve. I don’t think Folin is that guy. Flyer fans are not missing him and not shedding a tear losing him. In fact, after reading their comments (know more than I do about him), it sounds like most are happy he is gone. I suppose he will be depth in case we need a RHD should someone get hurt.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Jul 6, 2016

He looked very bad at times last year and this year (although he's had some good games as well).
I just notice that he often gets hemmed in the defensive zone and struggles when a speedy forward is on him.

Eh, that’s why he is a third pairing d-man. Go around the league. No Bobby Orrs playing bottom pairings.

Jul 6, 2016
Well, I agree, there is always room to improve. I don’t think Folin is that guy. Flyer fans are not missing him and not shedding a tear losing him. In fact, after reading their comments (know more than I do about him), it sounds like most are happy he is gone. I suppose he will be depth in case we need a RHD should someone get hurt.

Flyers have an abundance of young, big d-men. Myers is now up, and Morin will be back soon after his long injury.

Reactions: TennisMenace

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Eh, that’s why he is a third pairing d-man. Go around the league. No Bobby Orrs playing bottom pairings.

So you are of the opinion that Benn is one of the better bottom pairing D in this league?

Jul 6, 2016
Is that the standard we have nowadays? At least he isn't the worst! Doesn't sound like a winning recipe to me...

I am sure Claude Julien is very satisfied by the way Benn is playng in the last 20 games. IT’s more important than your opinion or mine.... And the TEAM is winning which is the bottom line.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Because simply being a body does not make you a depth player. Schlemko was horrible in his stint with the Habs...time to replace
On his first season as a Hab, Schlemko was injured and didn't play up to his potential.
This year, he was healthier and didn't seem to have much potential.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I am sure Claude Julien is very satisfied by the way Benn is playng in the last 20 games. IT’s more important than your opinion or mine.

Appealing to authority would be the end of HFboards like discussion forums... We wouldn't be allowed to have an opinion or meaningful discussion since it doesn't matter what we think since people working in the NHL would always be right. Coaches and GMs never get it wrong , right?

I mean it's not like multiple posters on this forum predicted that Alzner was done and Bergevin who is an actual NHL GM signed him for 5×4.6M?

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Appealing to authority would be the end of HFboards like discussion forums... We wouldn't be allowed to have an opinion or meaningful discussion since it doesn't matter what we think since people working in the NHL would always be right. Coaches and GMs never get it wrong , right?

I mean nobody said that Alzner was done and Bergevin who is an actual NHL GM signed him for 5×4M+?

All I am saying is Julien seems satisfied with Benn’s play since he put him back where he belongs: on the rh side of the bottom pairing. And I don’t have any problem with the way Benn is playing, myself.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
« Happy birthday christian, we trade you « - fletcher. 9th of february

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
RHD. He's 28 years old, 6'3, 204 lbs. Swede.

Forecaster:

Owns an ideal frame (6-3, 204 pounds) and plenty of puck-moving acumen. Is sound defensively and can provide a fair amount of offense at lower levels.
Flaws: Needs to prove he can handle National Hockey League power forwards in the big league. Must also prove he can produce more offense in the NHL.
Career Potential: Big, solid defenseman.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not an offensive player at all. Definitely a 7th D. Doesn't have great skating either, but I prefer him over Alzner and Schlemko. If Benn gets hurt, Folin will be his replacement.

A depth move.

Reactions: Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

His struggles largely occur when they elevate his minutes and give him a bigger role.

Since being paired with Kulak on the 3rd unit, I've been pretty happy with his play. He's been physical, the glaring turnovers have ceased, and he's just more reliable overall. However that all probably changes with an injury on the top 2 units.

Reactions: a55p2

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

I mean it's not like multiple posters on this forum predicted that Alzner was done and Bergevin who is an actual NHL GM signed him for 5×4.6M?
Appealing to authority is a logical fallacy but logic deals in mathematical absolutes. Always arguing against authority isn't any less of a logical fallacy.

Real life knowledge deals much more closely to probabilities than it does to mathematical absolutes (which are generally abstractions). Arguing against authority (in this case, the NHL coaches and GMS and all the money and resources they have invested in researching and optimizing results) has lower probability of being correct than arguing with authority. Because it is only a probability, it does not preclude discussion or make it irrelevant. It just means that people who are constantly arguing against authority more likely to be wrong.

There are plenty of scenarios where authority is divided in opinion which provides ripe opportunity for discussion. For instance, in an NHL trade two teams feel they've made a good trade and all sorts of debates can ensue.

But trying to argue against all appeals to authority would be somewhat ludicrous. Take for instance if I were to argue that the last player picked in the NHL draft should have been the first player picked. There is a chance I am correct, but it is quite a small chance. It would be worthwhile pointing out that 215 players were picked in between the first and last pick, but that would be an appeal to authority and by your criteria not valid in the discussion, which I would argue would be more detrimental to your stated desire of allowing discussion because it would discount anything that was outside the parameters of mere opinion. So we would be discussing merely in a vacuum of our own minds.

Reactions: angry pirate

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So I guess that Juulsen is out for the season, again. Poor kid, can’t catch a break.

To me just not seeing schlemko ever again it’s a win. Folin will be our new 7th D since we can’t rely on Alzner either.

I see no negative to that trade

Definitely no negative in this trade.

But still, would be nice if Folin is another Kulak or Reilly or even Benn, and not another Nestorov, Drewisky, Davidson, Morrow, Schlemko, or Alzner...

Reactions: jaffy27

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
"Plenty of puck moving acumen"...I like the sound of that. We don't have much of that right now, would be interesting to see if he can help clear the zone faster and help spring the forwards by carrying the puck.

Can throw his body around, so with him and Weise we got a little grittier. That's never a bad thing, our 4th line was rag dolled at times, would be nice if we have someone who can return the favor.

All in all, a safe move that could pay dividends and since he can't be worse than Schlemko there's no potential backfiring.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad