Christian Ehrhoff retires. Still getting paid by Sabres

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
One of the greatest trades in Canucks history.

Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi for Chritian Ehrhoff. Dude was a stud for the Canucks.

Wtf were the sharks thinking. Even at the time it was a terrible trade for them.

Reactions: Phu and Fixxer

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi for Chritian Ehrhoff. Dude was a stud for the Canucks.

Wtf were the sharks thinking. Even at the time it was a terrible trade for them.

The trade was about clearing capspace for Heatley, IIRC. Brad Lukowich was getting dumped as part of that trade as well.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

As mentioned, they were clearing out cap space to acquire Dany Heatley. Memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall that were limited teams who had the cap space and motivation to bring in Ehrhoff without sending salary back to San Jose. Even in 2009, teams were still getting used to the salary cap.

Vancouver obviously benefited. I don't believe the Sharks viewed White as a prospect; They knew they could get a compensatory 2nd rounder for him. Eventually they'd get Chris Tierney with that pick.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
The buyout made no sense

it was a free buyout of a player who would never live up to the contract and for a team that was about to go scorched earth rebuild. It made perfect sense. Its not like Ehrhoff went out and co tiniest to play at a high level for years afterward.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
it was a free buyout of a player who would never live up to the contract and for a team that was about to go scorched earth rebuild. It made perfect sense. Its not like Ehrhoff went out and co tiniest to play at a high level for years afterward.
His cap hit was 4 million and was a back slide contract. The sabres then went through the likes of Josh Jorges, Zack Bogosian, Cody Franson, and a revolving door of trash defensemen. Christian Erhoffs Buyout was far from necessary.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
As mentioned, they were clearing out cap space to acquire Dany Heatley. Memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall that were limited teams who had the cap space and motivation to bring in Ehrhoff without sending salary back to San Jose. Even in 2009, teams were still getting used to the salary cap.

Vancouver obviously benefited. I don't believe the Sharks viewed White as a prospect; They knew they could get a compensatory 2nd rounder for him. Eventually they'd get Chris Tierney with that pick.
Interesting fact.. In that case, I'd say Sharks won the trade.

Tierney looking like a solid 20g/20a/40pt C, and is still only 23 years old.
Danny Heatley gave them a 82 and 64pt season.

Reactions: Phu

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
His cap hit was 4 million and was a back slide contract. The sabres then went through the likes of Josh Jorges, Zack Bogosian, Cody Franson, and a revolving door of trash defensemen. Christian Erhoffs Buyout was far from necessary.

but it negated the cap hit from that back diving contract. Also he's still be under contract today and if he retired the Sabres would be getting hit with that recapture. He signed a 10 year deal in 2011, he was never playing that out. If he decided to retire next year Sabres would have $5 million in recapture, in 2020 that would be $10 million, that s the type of thing that could kill a team.

If another round of compliance buyouts rolled out tomorrow you'd see productive players getting bought out again. Luongo, Seabrook, Weber, Okposo, Lucic all would be gone if it weren't for cap ramifications.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Same reason the Rangers bought out Brad Richards. Fear of Cap Recapture.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Bryzgalov, Lecavalier, Dipetro will still be on payrolls for a long long time after compliance buyouts back in 2013-14.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Problem is if he retired early, like he just did, the recapture penalty would be insane.
[EDIT] See that it was already answered :x

Reactions: Chainshot

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
It's good that he turned down the 23 M 5yrs from the Canucks. Same contract that Bieksa agree too. Doesn't play in the nhl but still gets a nhl pay cheque for so many years.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I always liked his game.

But not when he was in Pittsburgh for what seemed like 20 minutes that one time.

I wish him well.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
My lasting memory is him turtling against angry McQuaid in the 2011 SCF. I don’t blame him but that Canucks team was so soft when push came to shove.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Same reason the Rangers bought out Brad Richards. Fear of Cap Recapture.

There was also talk that he didn't like the direction the team took when they sacked Regier and Rolston. He was openly hostile and there was speculation he might bolt for Europe or retire since the cash bonus in the early part of his deal was already paid. Recapture was a problem if he did that and since no one else was willing to take on a dinged recapture risk, even at an excellent cap hit, they went with the compliance route.

Loved the deal at the time, given the cap structure, but the 2013 CBA change on the recapture... it had to happen.

Reactions: mouser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad