Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Wideman is a UFA without question.

Methot-Karlsson
Wier-Ceci
Boro-Gryba/Wideman
Wideman/Gryba

would be smart next year if Wideman chooses to stay. Only problem is we still need a better 2nd LHD and Cowen and phillips need to be gone.

We need an option to pk on the 3rd pairing since we dont waste karlsson their. Not sure if Wideman can do that

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
That run has uppe the value of a couple of players some being useless to the sens next year

Murray should trade some of them

How many games greening play since feb 10th?

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
That run has uppe the value of a couple of players some being useless to the sens next year

Murray should trade some of them

How many games greening play since feb 10th?

Too many some will say lol but how many exactly?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Sometimes we look at these situations as negatives, e.g. "oh no we have too many NHL caliber goalies!," but it sure is nice to have so many able bodies.

The negative I'm trying to point out is it takes two to tango. Wideman will have the option to sign here as at best the 8th in the nhl chart, or go elsewhere where there is more need. Getting a legit chance to crack an nhl roster is probably the most important thing to him (I would guess)

I just don't see them trading an established, cheap dman like Gryba to open space for a guy with zero nhl games. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't really fit with the way this team tends to bring up prospects. It's the Kaigorodov model

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Never saw him play.. so if any of you have to compare him to a current NHL player, then who would it be?

What are his strengths and weaknesses??

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Interesting. Definitely an option if we can clear out some defensive bodies and give him the one-way contract he'll want (assumign he has enough loyalty to sign with us).

He could really improve our PP by replacing Gryba. Depends on how much we can get for Cowen/Wiercioch and Phillips

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Never saw him play.. so if any of you have to compare him to a current NHL player, then who would it be?

What are his strengths and weaknesses??

he's very hot headed for a short guy. I watched him for a few games last year and i remember him causing **** to happen after the whistle. Think he was responsible for Puempel getting one punched

The word crosscheck is the only lasting impression he left on me but i didnt watch him much

He's friends with Ben Bishop.

Bishop said.."He's just like karlsson....only he's skates worse, has a worse shot and cant pass as well" He was joking though

here's a brieft scouting report for elite prospects http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38081

Says he was an A last year but wasnt this year too

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Gryba could very well still get dealt

We have too many dmen, we could easily stand to trade two of them (Cowen/Weircioch + Gryba)

Gryba isn't as bad as most people believe on this board: pair Gryba with someone who can move the puck and he becomes much better

Lots of teams could use a guy like Gryba

Including Ottawa!

Wideman is 25 years old, not big by any standards, hasn't played a game in the NHL and while he appears to have some offensive upside, it is difficult to see what role he would play with the Sens.

While it has been suggested a 5/6 spot, that job usually comes with PK responsibilities and I can't see Wideman being successful in that role.

Since Wideman isn't going to replace EK or CC, I have to believe Wideman's rights will be traded prior to free agency if he insists on a 1-way deal.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
he's very hot headed for a short guy. I watched him for a few games last year and i remember him causing **** to happen after the whistle. Think he was responsible for Puempel getting one punched

The word crosscheck is the only lasting impression he left on me but i didnt watch him much

He's friends with Ben Bishop.

Bishop said.."He's just like karlsson....only he's skates worse, has a worse shot and cant pass as well" He was joking though

Bishop may have been joking, but in truth he was right!!!!

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
IMO sens will push to re-sign him. They gave ATO to his little brother who is playing his first pro game for Bingo right now.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
IMO sens will push to re-sign him. They gave ATO to his little brother who is playing his first pro game for Bingo right now.

Excellent job murray. Pulling at the heart strings to get him to stay... Well done

Call me surprised. I didnt expect Chris to be the bigger of the Wideman brothers. Alex is plus one way to go

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How dare the AHL award the best all-around defender to a defender that has nothing but offense and obviously only won cause of his points.

16a9ca5cb8c31f5e1cc39b68d1d19538.jpg

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Gryba needs to go to make room for him not because he's awful but because he just doesn't fit within the makeup of our D imo. We need that puck moving dynamic on that 3rd pairing. It looks like Mark B will be a staple on the 3rd pairing and imo he and Gryba don't go well together.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I hope Ottawa can resign Chris Wideman for next season........

I think Phillips is going to retire make him a coach up top next yr.....

I suggest Ottawa carry 8 D men again next season as they tend to go through them + with 8 D men they will push each other to get ice time.....

So Wideman will replace Phillips up top next season..............

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Wideman is 25 years old, not big by any standards, hasn't played a game in the NHL and while he appears to have some offensive upside, it is difficult to see what role he would play with the Sens.

Just going to point out that this post perfectly described Hoffman a little over a year ago. Too bad we didn't trade his near worthless ass for some magic beans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad