Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman and Sens closing in on 1 year deal

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Would have thought he'd get less, or have it tied to performance bonuses based on the severity of his injury.
Well according to sens twitter he’s a surefire reliable top 4 d man always has been always will be so this is an absolute steal. Best deal in the nhl probably. According to some.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Confirmed by the team.

Wiercioch is a top 4 defender (Advanced stats community circa 2015)

I like Wideman, and advanced stats have their place as an analytical tool, but they don't always tell the whole story and can't just be used as a sole means to evaluate a player without context or the eye test. I'd question if anybody who thinks Wideman could produce those same stats against top 4 competition with less favourable zone starts actually watches the guy play.

He's a very solid bottom pairing D/2nd pairing PP QB. I hope the idea that he's a top 4 defender gains some traction, because then we can get someone to overpay for him at the deadline just like what happened with Shane Prince when he was an advanced stats darling.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Wiercioch is a top 4 defender (Advanced stats community circa 2015)

I like Wideman, and advanced stats have their place as an analytical tool, but they don't always tell the whole story and can't just be used as a sole means to evaluate a player without context or the eye test. I'd question if anybody who thinks Wideman could produce those same stats against top 4 competition with less favourable zone starts actually watches the guy play.

He's a very solid bottom pairing D/2nd pairing PP QB. I hope the idea that he's a top 4 defender gains some traction, because then we can get someone to overpay for him at the deadline just like what happened with Shane Prince when he was an advanced stats darling.

I think it more so means that he has shown to have pretty good value as a bottom pairing guy. And if you look at his minutes, a guy who maybe deserves more ice time. And with the sens depth on D, if definitely couldn't hurt to give him a shot.

Our prospect pool of D who have top 4 upside is basically non-existent or a couple years away. Really doesn't hurt to give him a go at 1 million

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think it more so means that he has shown to have pretty good value as a bottom pairing guy. And if you look at his minutes, a guy who maybe deserves more ice time. And with the sens depth on D, if definitely couldn't hurt to give him a shot.

Our prospect pool of D who have top 4 upside is basically non-existent or a couple years away. Really doesn't hurt to give him a go at 1 million

I'm not disagreeing with that at all. I'm very happy with this signing, I (wrongly) thought he wouldn't be interested in staying so it's a nice surprise to see him extend.

Reactions: Swedish Mafia

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This is fine, and it's even better if it signals that the team is walking away from Claesson.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Please give him some proper PP time on a pairing with Chabot or Wolanin. Please use him on the 3 vs 3 in OT.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Did he say that? I honestly can't remember

I can't remember if that was insinuated. All I remember him saying was that Wideman was a pick (which is hardly news).

Yeah he did. He also said Zack Smithwas our most talented player. Or most talented forward anyway. I never took him seriously after reading that.

As for Wideman, good signing. One year is probably the way to go. Hope he can stay healthy. He was doing well last year before the injury.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well according to sens twitter he’s a surefire reliable top 4 d man always has been always will be so this is an absolute steal. Best deal in the nhl probably. According to some.
Sounds like the coming new pot laws have caused fans to imbibe early. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Please give him some proper PP time on a pairing with Chabot or Wolanin. Please use him on the 3 vs 3 in OT.

Agreed. The Senators have been far too reliant on Karlsson carrying the puck up ice on the PP with little to no variation in the attack.

I thought that the PP looked more interesting and sometimes more offensively challenging when Karlsson was not there and time was given to other Ds to be on it.

I am not advocating Karlsson not be on it but that the PP needs to be changed to provide different attack strategies using other offensive players to start the attack. Chabot and Wideman need to be used more to relieve Karlsson of the heavy load and to provide different views to the opposition.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa tends to re-sign their RFAs so I'm gonna guess that Claesson is re-signed & Wolanin starts the season in Belleville. I think Claesson & Harpur share the bottom pairing left side job until Boro gets hurt which is inevitable & Claesson replaces him.

As the trade deadline approaches next season I imagine that Ottawa will try & unload all their UFAs including Wideman on D & maybe Claesson.

Chabot - Karlsson
Boroweicki - Ceci
Harpur - Wideman/Claesson

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
I know we can point to other things that went wrong for this team during the year, but I felt that losing wideman was a big blow to this team because although he is/was a fifth or sixth defenceman he was a puck carrying D and it hurt to lose him.

Good signing hope he's well healed

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ottawa tends to re-sign their RFAs so I'm gonna guess that Claesson is re-signed & Wolanin starts the season in Belleville. I think Claesson & Harpur share the bottom pairing left side job until Boro gets hurt which is inevitable & Claesson replaces him.

As the trade deadline approaches next season I imagine that Ottawa will try & unload all their UFAs including Wideman on D & maybe Claesson.

Chabot - Karlsson
Boroweicki - Ceci
Harpur - Wideman/Claesson

The dream of having Boro on the 2nd pairing needs to die.

And Wolanin is much more likely to start on the 2nd pairing than him(even if that isn't ideal either). I also don't see why they would unload Wideman at the deadline unless he ***** the bed. He's probably staying all year and re-signing if he plays well. This is great "show me" signing.

All that aside, we really do need some strong top-4 prospects in this organisation, and if EK leaves we are indeed in big trouble unless a stud young D is included in the return. As it stands even if Erik stays it's far from being competitive.

Reactions: NB613

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur/Jaros

Would this be that bad if the goalies are better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->