Player Discussion Chris Tierney (C)

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
When I went to high school in Hull I was told to "take that shit off" the first time I wore a Sens jersey.

That was the late 90s. Hopefully whatever Gatineau based outreach the Senators marketing department does has improved since then.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I don’t think too many guys played particularly bad.

The only real stretch of bad was the first five to eight minutes when Ottawa came out flat footed.

After that, Ottawa went from down shots 7-0 to 7-7 and never looked back.
Everyone is just expecting alot from Tierney, DeMelo and the rookies. Jaros seemed to have a decent game however some of his long passes cross ice make me close my eyes. He has been very lucky to date.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So are you saying its not looking good from here out?

I've been pretty consistent in my prediction that Ottawa needs to accumulate a lot of points early before the more talented teams start getting more invested and the youth start to hit the wall when the reality of the NHL grind hits.

I expect we will have a rough January-March after hopefully a competitive October-December.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
When I went to high school in Hull I was told to "take that **** off" the first time I wore a Sens jersey.

That was the late 90s. Hopefully whatever Gatineau based outreach the Senators marketing department does has improved since then.

The Senators outreach group said that to you?!

I agree they need to be much better.

"Can you please take that **** off" is really how it should have gone.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Let’s not talk about playoffs, we can hope but that would be quite the accomplishment considering the money we’re spending on the roster.

My first objective is to not finish bottom-5 (since we don’t have our 1st), then my 2nd objective would be to stay out of the bottom-10. I’d be happy if they can do that. Everything above is a massive bonus
I think playoffs should be the objective. I think Ottawa is a better team this year then most realized and they should be in the hunt.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Geez, let me think about it - when you're at the game it's kind of a blur.

It would have been in our end of the rink, so 1st or 3rd period.

I suspect the 3rd period when we had 2 PPs, as opposed to our PP in the 1st.

While I'm at it, I analyzed Ryan's play on the PPs.

1st PP :

- shot/pass towards the net that jut missed, scoring chance
- connects the pass for the zone entry
- keep the play at blueline, passing to the other side, keeping the offense going, Stone then made a pass to White who missed his shot bu not by much, scoring chance
- keep the play alive along the boards by winning his battle, creates space, pass using the board to Chabot at the point, that leads to a Stone shot and rebound that Duchene just missed, scoring chance
- Retrieves the puck along the boards, pass it to a wide open Chabot, that leads to another Stone shot and rebound that Duchene missed again, scoring chance.
- Gets the puck in the slot, shots and beats Rask but Carlo saves the day, high danger scoring chance. Then Stone could have scored afterwards but Rask closed the door. Another scoring chance

2nd PP :

- receives a pass in the skates, somehow succeeds to keep it alive and pass it to the point to Chabot
- after the draw quick pass to Chabot that opens up some space
- Makes a dangerous pass/shot to the front of the net, hits Rask pad without him knowing, scoring chance
- wins a race/battle along the boards, blocks a clearing attempt but eventually the Bruins get it out as there was 3 Bruins players in that corner.
- after the 2nd PP unit sucked for about 1 min, Ryan back on the ice, makes a nice stretch pass that sends Duchene on the left side, but the angle wasn't great so Rask had no problem stopping the shot. scoring chance.
- Not long after the PP is over while Ryan is still on the ice, creates a turnover by knocking down an aerial pass, the Sens counter but Smith can't do anything with it as he is contained by several Bruins players.

3rd PP :

- 2nd unit started this PP, so after 45 seconds, Ryan is back on the ice. Duchene centering pass that was intended to Ryan but Rask stick got a piece of it leaving the puck right in the slot but White's shot went wide.
- Ryan hurries to go help White along the boards keeping the play alive, it leads to a Duchene shot from a sharp angle though, but another scoring chance
- Ryan subtly retrieves the puck then battles in the corner with 2 Bruins on his back but is somehow able to pass it back to Chabot at the point, who has a lot of open space. That leads to a Chabot shot that is deflected on the way by Stone, great save by Rask. scoring chance
- Ryan retrieves the rebound, controls the puck with poise, creates space for himself, then set up Chabot perfectly for a one-timer : GOAL with 30 seconds left on the PP.

4th PP (Ryan's is the one that got tripped for that PP) :

- game was 4-1 Boston at that point so the Sens probably already had their spirits down but nonetheless : Ryan blocks a clearing attempt with his stick after an action in front of the net, goes behind the net and makes a reverse pass to White, who can't even touch it (looks like it was going too fast for White on that sequence)
- After the Bruins wasted a bit of time off the Sens PP, Ryan can't handle a puck that was rimmed along the boards in the defensive zone, the puck goes back to Andy who throws it in the corner, Sens lose a few more seconds as a result. First "meh" play by Ryan on the PP.
- After the 2nd unit was on the ice for about 45 seconds, Ryan is back on the ice with only 28 seconds left on the PP, he nicely retrieves and control a bad pass by Duchene at the point, then a skilled little backhand pass to Chabot who shots the puck towards the net but Rask swallows it as there was no traffic in front.

5th PP :

- Not any openings, Ryan shots towards the net with Duchene and White in front, puck is deflected onto Duchene who sends it back in front but over White's stick.
- Stone makes a bad zone entry, white blocks the clearing attempt, Ryan tries to handle the puck but confusion with White prevents him from doing it cleanly but the play continues in the Bruins zone.
- Duchene tries a pass that gets deflected by a Bruins stick and ends up saved by Rask's pad, rebound goes to Ryan who shots it right away but it's either a very nice save by Rask who followed through nicely with quick lateral movement or it hit the side of the post. TV didn't give an aerial view so very hard to say.
- saucer pass to Chabot who tries a one-time pass the other side but isn't handled by Stone, too bad it could have lead to another good scoring chance.
- gets a nice pass by Stone, has an opportunity to shoot but stickhandles too much (probably to put the puck square on the ice) but it gives time to the Bruins player to come close to him and make a nice stick play deflecting the puck away, then the Bruins player with a wise elbow to separate Ryan from the puck and then clears the zone. Second "meh" play by Ryan on the PP in the game but the Bruins deserves credit there. After 1:25 on the ice, the first unit comes off.

Is it the highlighted that you were talking about?

Anyway, not related to your post but more some GDT posts, so excuse me when I don't take seriously people who complained about Ryan. Our PP was extremely dangerous last night and Ryan was a big part of it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, he had that side of the net open.

I’m not picking on him specifically, more so that Ottawa didn’t seem to have the finish in this one.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I think this road trip will prove interesting for all the rookies. I don't have a great feeling about it but hopefully I will be surprised. I am just wondering who is going to step in and do the dirty work in front of the net?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

1st PP :

- keep the play at blueline, passing to the other side, keeping the offense going, Stone then made a pass to White who missed his shot bu not by much, scoring chance
- keep the play alive along the boards by winning his battle, creates space, pass using the board to Chabot at the point, that leads to a Stone shot and rebound that Duchene just missed, scoring chance
- Retrieves the puck along the boards, pass it to a wide open Chabot, that leads to another Stone shot and rebound that Duchene missed again, scoring chance.
- Gets the puck in the slot, shots and beats Rask but Carlo saves the day, high danger scoring chance. Then Stone could have scored afterwards but Rask closed the door. Another scoring chance

2nd PP :

- receives a pass in the skates, somehow succeeds to keep it alive and pass it to the point to Chabot
- Makes a dangerous pass/shot to the front of the net, hits Rask pad without him knowing, scoring chance
- wins a race/battle along the boards, blocks a clearing attempt but eventually the Bruins get it out as there was 3 Bruins players in that corner.
- after the 2nd PP unit sucked for about 1 min, Ryan back on the ice, makes a nice stretch pass that sends Duchene on the left side, but the angle wasn't great so Rask had no problem stopping the shot. scoring chance.
- Not long after the PP is over while Ryan is still on the ice, creates a turnover by knocking down an aerial pass, the Sens counter but Smith can't do anything with it as he is contained by several Bruins players.

3rd PP :

- 2nd unit started this PP, so after 45 seconds, Ryan is back on the ice. Duchene centering pass that was intended to Ryan but Rask stick got a piece of it leaving the puck right in the slot but White's shot went wide.
- Ryan hurries to go help White along the boards keeping the play alive, it leads to a Duchene shot from a sharp angle though, but another scoring chance
- Ryan subtly retrieves the puck then battles in the corner with 2 Bruins on his back but is somehow able to pass it back to Chabot at the point, who has a lot of open space. That leads to a Chabot shot that is deflected on the way by Stone, great save by Rask. scoring chance
- Ryan retrieves the rebound, controls the puck with poise, creates space for himself, then set up Chabot perfectly for a one-timer : GOAL with 30 seconds left on the PP.

- game was 4-1 Boston at that point so the Sens probably already had their spirits down but nonetheless : Ryan blocks a clearing attempt with his stick after an action in front of the net, goes behind the net and makes a reverse pass to White, who can't even touch it (looks like it was going too fast for White on that sequence)
- After the Bruins wasted a bit of time off the Sens PP, Ryan can't handle a puck that was rimmed along the boards in the defensive zone, the puck goes back to Andy who throws it in the corner, Sens lose a few more seconds as a result. First "meh" play by Ryan on the PP.
- After the 2nd unit was on the ice for about 45 seconds, Ryan is back on the ice with only 28 seconds left on the PP, he nicely retrieves and control a bad pass by Duchene at the point, then a skilled little backhand pass to Chabot who shots the puck towards the net but Rask swallows it as there was no traffic in front.

5th PP :

- Not any openings, Ryan shots towards the net with Duchene and White in front, puck is deflected onto Duchene who sends it back in front but over White's stick.
- Stone makes a bad zone entry, white blocks the clearing attempt, Ryan tries to handle the puck but confusion with White prevents him from doing it cleanly but the play continues in the Bruins zone.
- Duchene tries a pass that gets deflected by a Bruins stick and ends up saved by Rask's pad, rebound goes to Ryan who shots it right away but it's either a very nice save by Rask who followed through nicely with quick lateral movement or it hit the side of the post. TV didn't give an aerial view so very hard to say.
- saucer pass to Chabot who tries a one-time pass the other side but isn't handled by Stone, too bad it could have lead to another good scoring chance.
- gets a nice pass by Stone, has an opportunity to shoot but stickhandles too much (probably to put the puck square on the ice) but it gives time to the Bruins player to come close to him and make a nice stick play deflecting the puck away, then the Bruins player with a wise elbow to separate Ryan from the puck and then clears the zone. Second "meh" play by Ryan on the PP in the game but the Bruins deserves credit there. After 1:25 on the ice, the first unit comes off.

Anyway, not related to your post but more some GDT posts, so excuse me when I don't take seriously people who complained about Ryan. Our PP was extremely dangerous last night and Ryan was a big part of it.
I thought he was poor on the PP other than the Chabot goal but kudos to you for the research, well done

Reactions: Xspyrit

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think this road trip will prove interesting for all the rookies. I don't have a great feeling about it but hopefully I will be surprised. I am just wondering who is going to step in and do the dirty work in front of the net?

dude you've been on the board here for about 6 weeks and I've yet to see you express any good feeling about anything really ... so you not feeling good about this road trip is not .... surprising.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

1st PP :

2nd PP :

3rd PP :

5th PP :

hes a 7.5 million dollar player... why are you pointing out plays like "retrieves puck along boards passes it to wide open chabot"

Reactions: Chezzz

The Grey Wizard

Oct 17, 2018
Let’s not talk about playoffs, we can hope but that would be quite the accomplishment considering the money we’re spending on the roster.

My first objective is to not finish bottom-5 (since we don’t have our 1st), then my 2nd objective would be to stay out of the bottom-10. I’d be happy if they can do that. Everything above is a massive bonus

No, the puck just deflected before reaching his stick.

Good post. A very important point is KIDS. Adults don’t realize that they think completely differently and are fans of players for different reasons. For example, a lot of kids from Quebec will fall in love with Chabot and start follow the team. The kids are the future adult fans and they are making their parents spend in NHL hockey

Not the best way I could have expressed this but I’m sure you get the point

I kinda hope we do finish last and pick top 2 so we can ship some of those elite prospect west. we lost our pick a long time ago but the scary possibility that Hughes or Kakko end up in buffalo or detroit (or god forbid mtl) would be worst. also our second round pick would be better too.

it would be an embarrassment but we already are one anyways.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I kinda hope we do finish last and pick top 2 so we can ship some of those elite prospect west. we lost our pick a long time ago but the scary possibility that Hughes or Kakko end up in buffalo or detroit (or god forbid mtl) would be worst. also our second round pick would be better too.

we're playing checkers youre out here playing chess

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

I think my IQ dropped reading this

Detroit is tanking so hard. What the sens do won't change that

The Grey Wizard

Oct 17, 2018
I think my IQ dropped reading this

Detroit is tanking so hard. What the sens do won't change that

to be fair, I'm not hoping we loose on purpose, but if we end up bottom 5 we can look at it that way instead of complaining about bad management. Buffalo would be stacked if they end up with one of the two centers, but if we do pick first Colorado gets the chance to steal one of them. not so scared of Detroit as they don't look to be such a powerhouse in the near future anyways.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Honestly Tierney is the player that all of us hoped Colin White could one day be. im impressed so far, let’s hope he keeps this up.

Reactions: gab6511

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think playoffs should be the objective. I think Ottawa is a better team this year then most realized and they should be in the hunt.

Of course Ottawa is a better team than most were saying but the competition is ferocious... There's so much talent in the NHL right now. Even if they continue playing like they did, they might miss some "juice" in the end. Injuries are a big factor, we've already been hurt quite a lot in this young season. The Sens are not in a stage where they can afford those injuries to important players. Think about it, with Pageau's long term injury, we're spending ~54 M$ on the roster this season... Some teams spend 25 M$ more and they also have young cheap players.

Yeah, he had that side of the net open.

I’m not picking on him specifically, more so that Ottawa didn’t seem to have the finish in this one.

Oh yeah and when we did, miraculous man saved the day (Carlo). Frustrating game, particularly when you look at high danger chances.... 14-5 Ottawa but 4-1 Bruins where it counts.

Concerning the Ryan's chance, no TV angle to show if it hits the side of the net or if Rask got a piece of hit, but based on where Rask was (great reaction there), very high chance it would have been saved anyway.

hes a 7.5 million dollar player... why are you pointing out plays like "retrieves puck along boards passes it to wide open chabot"

Don't think I can have a technical hockey discussion with you so I'm going to leave it at that. You can keep bashing Ryan, no worries.

I thought he was poor on the PP other than the Chabot goal but kudos to you for the research, well done

Thanks, that's because if we look at a game without analyzing it (I do that when I'm not watching the Sens), we only notice noticeable plays. We don't bother looking who it was or get back using a PVR if it wasn't that "noticeable". Ryan was directly involved in about 15 scoring chances, often because of a smart/skilled play and sometimes by winning a battle or using his body to protect the puck. He made more than twenty positive plays, screwed up twice but people who have cognitive bias against him will just trash him (and it happened several times during the GDT or after the game). With time, it pretty much reveals who you shouldn't take too seriously

Hmmm, it's a very good point actually. The Sens finishing near the bottom sends one of the high end prospects West, so Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal or even the Panthers don't get him. Maybe even the Islanders or the Rangers. It will be a long season full of suspense lol

So what would be better, what would be better? Avs fans laughing becaue we gave them a high pick or avoiding getting another high end talent in the division?

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Of course Ottawa is a better team than most were saying but the competition is ferocious... There's so much talent in the NHL right now. Even if they continue playing like they did, they might miss some "juice" in the end. Injuries are a big factor, we've already been hurt quite a lot in this young season. The Sens are not in a stage where they can afford those injuries to important players. Think about it, with Pageau's long term injury, we're spending ~54 M$ on the roster this season... Some teams spend 25 M$ more and they also have young cheap players.

Oh yeah and when we did, miraculous man saved the day (Carlo). Frustrating game, particularly when you look at high danger chances.... 14-5 Ottawa but 4-1 Bruins where it counts.

Concerning the Ryan's chance, no TV angle to show if it hits the side of the net or if Rask got a piece of hit, but based on where Rask was (great reaction there), very high chance it would have been saved anyway.

Don't think I can have a technical hockey discussion with you so I'm going to leave it at that. You can keep bashing Ryan, no worries.

Thanks, that's because if we look at a game without analyzing it (I do that when I'm not watching the Sens), we only notice noticeable plays. We don't bother looking who it was or get back using a PVR if it wasn't that "noticeable". Ryan was directly involved in about 15 scoring chances, often because of a smart/skilled play and sometimes by winning a battle or using his body to protect the puck. He made more than twenty positive plays, screwed up twice but people who have cognitive bias against him will just trash him (and it happened several times during the GDT or after the game). With time, it pretty much reveals who you shouldn't take too seriously

Hmmm, it's a very good point actually. The Sens finishing near the bottom sends one of the high end prospects West, so Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal or even the Panthers don't get him. Maybe even the Islanders or the Rangers. It will be a long season full of suspense lol

So what would be better, what would be better? Avs fans laughing becaue we gave them a high pick or avoiding getting another high end talent in the division?
wow such technical analysis "ryan gets puck, ryan passes puck, ryan shoots puck"

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
wow such technical analysis "ryan gets puck, ryan passes puck, ryan shoots puck"

:laugh: Yeah, I only say that type of things

Let me know when you have better technical hockey posts, I want to read.

You should take a look at this :

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/151278555/

One important fact there :

Ryan was 72nd in Pts/60 among the 353 forwards who played at least 500 minutes at ES. 3rd on the Sens behind Stone and Duchene.

Let that sink in.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Tierney has been good overall other than last game against Boston. He’s been a nice surprise but I’ll hold back and wait to see how he’s doing later on in the season before making some big claims.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
:laugh: Yeah, I only say that type of things

Let me know when you have better technical hockey posts, I want to read.

You should take a look at this :

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/151278555/

One important fact there :

Ryan was 72nd in Pts/60 among the 353 forwards who played at least 500 minutes at ES. 3rd on the Sens behind Stone and Duchene.

Let that sink in.

Important to note, though, that he had the 23rd highest cap hit among forwards last season, and the highest on Ottawa by quite a bit. When he's just 72nd in the category you brought up, plus missing time with injuries, plus producing next to nothing on the PP, it's clear he was nowhere near good enough. A few nice stretches here and there isn't enough.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Important to note, though, that he had the 23rd highest cap hit among forwards last season, and the highest on Ottawa by quite a bit. When he's just 72nd in the category you brought up, plus missing time with injuries, plus producing next to nothing on the PP, it's clear he was nowhere near good enough. A few nice stretches here and there isn't enough.

Of course, but it's almost impossible for Ryan to play up to his contract anymore as he would need to put 60+ seasons. That ship has sailed 2 years ago with that series of injuries. I don't think it's coincidence, over 25+ years I have been following the NHL closely, I have seen a LOT of NHL players who had problems keeping their level of play through injuries, particularly as they were aging into their 30's. It's the nature of the game, the NHL is ultra physical. Teams are well aware of the risk when they sign those contracts. Usually, teams are financially healthy enough to deal with it.

What I was pointing out, is that 72nd in p/60 last year, despite all the context of age and injuries is not that bad, and if he can do that despite being overpaid, then I'll take it. It means his production at even strength considering his usage was quite decent

Reactions: SAK11

PEIslander

Apr 20, 2013
I'm really pleased with how Tierney has done this year. It's the best year of his career so far for point production, despite being on a worse team. If you look at his stats, he's been consistently getting better every year. I've barely seen him play since I listen to most games on radio, but at least he sounds like a good addition to the team this year. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad