I think White is better suited for the wing
Less responsibilities
Can focus on driving the net, retrieve pucks

Tierney is ultra fine as our 2c

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Look, either improve your reading comprehension skills to high school level or stop trying to tell me what I'm thinking.

"having local players that young french speakers can relate to is stupid" is not the same as "you should pick the best players... Language should not be a factor"

There's a quote feature on here. You should use that instead of trying (and failing) to reinterpret other people's comments.

I used the quote feature in the very comment you responded to......

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Less responsibilities

Yeah he’s a very cerebral player has high IQ and good defensively. He doesn’t have the skill that some of our other 2Cs did like Zibanejad/Brassard/Turris but all those guys were used as 1Cs at one point in their careers, either with us, before or after they moved on.

He does everything well and even after he inevitably goes cold he seems a lock for 45+ pts, and probably pops 50.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lol, guess I'm a terrible Canadian for not cheering for Team Canada at the Olympics.

Bro, I’m a terrible French-Italian-Canadian-Austrian because I cheer for Sweden in international hockey

I even cheered for Germany at the 90’ World Cup when I was 10 years old (and still living in France) and Lothar Matthäus was my favorite player. Granted everybody wanted to kill me but that’s another story :laugh: That’s when they knew I was not going to be a great person and who lacks character

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bro, I’m a terrible French-Italian-Canadian-Austrian because I cheer for Sweden in international hockey

I even cheered for Germany at the 90’ World Cup when I was 10 years old (and still living in France) and Lothar Matthäus was my favorite player. Granted everybody wanted to kill me but that’s another story :laugh: That’s when they knew I was not going to be a great person and who lacks character
You should always have the option, no need for silly allegiances based on geography alone.

I never was able to just flip the switch and cheer on guys like Crosby, Perry, Getzlaf, etc. that I hated so much from being a Sens fan. It's always been Czech Republic for me since my days of being a Hasek, Jagr & Straka fan. I like Sweden as well.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You should always have the option, no need for silly allegiances based on geography alone.

I never was able to just flip the switch and cheer on guys like Crosby, Perry, Getzlaf, etc. that I hated so much from being a Sens fan. It's always been Czech Republic for me since my days of being a Hasek, Jagr & Straka fan. I like Sweden as well.

Do you use to have MartyStraka something as your nickname?

BTW, me too, huge Hasek fan.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Do you use to have MartyStraka something as your nickname?

BTW, me too, huge Hasek fan.
Good memory, I had a comment about Straka under my username for a long time and once went by martinstraka8282. Still have a Straka Pens jersey hanging in my closet! Right next to my Hasek Sens jersey!

Reactions: Xspyrit

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Unless you're a french Canadian from the Ottawa region, I don't think you would understand the attachment we can have to french-speaking players. It isn't at all like having players from the GTA.

Chabot and Lajoie are going to be huge in terms of reaching out across the river, and if we somehow get new ownership that actually understands the duality of the region the team is rooted in, I'm sure they will capitalize on their presence.

To be fair, the team has done a bit more lately in that regard(saw all three Queb players visit a Gatineau school for example), but really, Gatineau has to be seen as just as important as Ottawa is to growing the fanbase and having a few Québécois players is essential imo.
Not trying to be rude since I am not sure why the nordiques left quebec? but why was the province unable to sustain a hockey team?
Do people that live on the Quebec side feel that they are not respected in Ottawa?
  1. Max Lajoie was born in Quebec City but i think lived the majority of his life in Calgary.
  2. I will say i think they made a mistake with Brassard, He was from the region and they seemed to have no problem trading him, yet no matter what the senators will hang on to Ceci and Boro and Harpur.
Could you please explain if people from Gatineau attend games and why is there such a stong divide.
Born and raised in Vancouver but I now live in the states so I am interested in learning the issues in Ottawa since I travel there for business.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Less responsibilities

Right now yes, White being comfortable is key to his development.

That being said, I think his ceiling would be at it's highest at C. That's where his hockey sense could really shine.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Not trying to be rude since I am not sure why the nordiques left quebec? but why was the province unable to sustain a hockey team?
Do people that live on the Quebec side feel that they are not respected in Ottawa?
  1. Max Lajoie was born in Quebec City but i think lived the majority of his life in Calgary.
  2. I will say i think they made a mistake with Brassard, He was from the region and they seemed to have no problem trading him, yet no matter what the senators will hang on to Ceci and Boro and Harpur.
Could you please explain if people from Gatineau attend games and why is there such a stong divide.
Born and raised in Vancouver but I now live in the states so I am interested in learning the issues in Ottawa since I travel there for business.

Of course people from Gatineau attend games. There isn't a "strong" divide, but a lot of us grew up as Habs fans, and don't feel an automatic link to a team from Ottawa despite it being minutes away. The organisation needed and still needs to market itself as a Outaouais region team, not an Ottawa team with *some* outreach across the bridge. It's a unique market and it's too bad Sens owners have never fully embraced it. With that said, they have done a lot more in recent years and I believe it has attracted more fans. The Melnyk situation has put a damper on that though.

As for Lajoie's time in Calgary, not sure why that is any sort of factor here? He's a Quebecois, and he speaks fluent french. That's what matters to young Gatineau kids who can look up and relate to a fellow francophone as he flourishes in the league.

All this isn't to say there aren't numerous Sens fans on the Québec side, there are, but you'd have thousands more if you made the Sens just as much of a part of Gatineau. LeBreton could go a long way towards that as it located extremely close to the border between both provinces.

Just the opinion of one french Sens fan. Hope this helps.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
First bad game for Tierney. Both him and Stone are going have to play better if the team wants to make the playoffs

The Grey Wizard

Oct 17, 2018

To add to l’aveuglettes’s comment... I’m also a french fan and when your family are fan of Mtl you kind go that way too, i’m sort of the black sheep of my family so i picked ottawa as a young age, became a fan because they are close and when i was a young teen they were the dominant powerhouse of Alfie, Spezz and heatley. Winning bring the fans, player keeps them. You only have to look at how many younger fan became pens fan after crosby and stanley cups appeared in pittsburg. You can also look at how many preds fan there is now in Mtl since they traded subban.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
First bad game for Tierney. Both him and Stone are going have to play better if the team wants to make the playoffs

I don’t think too many guys played particularly bad.

The only real stretch of bad was the first five to eight minutes when Ottawa came out flat footed.

After that, Ottawa went from down shots 7-0 to 7-7 and never looked back.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I don’t think too many guys played particularly bad.

The only real stretch of bad was the first five to eight minutes when Ottawa came out flat footed.

After that, Ottawa went from down shots 7-0 to 7-7 and never looked back.

I agree with this. I thought Tierney still had some good chances, and I thought Stone played very well. If it weren't for two freak saves (both by Carlo IIRC), he would have had a 3 point night.

Special teams needs to be wayyyy better if we want to keep up with the big boys like Boston.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Special teams needs to be wayyyy better if we want to keep up with the big boys like Boston.

The PP actually wasn't too bad.

I think Ryan missed an open net at one point.

The game was over in seconds after Anderson blew a tire for some reason and they score on a tip right at the beginning of the 3rd.

It really was a missed opportunity as far as putting up points.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Let’s not talk about playoffs, we can hope but that would be quite the accomplishment considering the money we’re spending on the roster.

My first objective is to not finish bottom-5 (since we don’t have our 1st), then my 2nd objective would be to stay out of the bottom-10. I’d be happy if they can do that. Everything above is a massive bonus

I think Ryan missed an open net at one point.

No, the puck just deflected before reaching his stick.

As for Lajoie's time in Calgary, not sure why that is any sort of factor here? He's a Quebecois, and he speaks fluent french. That's what matters to young Gatineau kids who can look up and relate to a fellow francophone as he flourishes in the league.

Good post. A very important point is KIDS. Adults don’t realize that they think completely differently and are fans of players for different reasons. For example, a lot of kids from Quebec will fall in love with Chabot and start follow the team. The kids are the future adult fans and they are making their parents spend in NHL hockey

Not the best way I could have expressed this but I’m sure you get the point

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wish we didn't have to go over the whole "why francophones like having francophones on the team they cheer for" almost every time.

Is "language privilege" a thing? Anglophones have no clue what it is like to be raised in a minority language. That doesn't mean language should be a priority, but it is a bit annoying when someone says "I like that we have some high profile francophones in the organization" has to justify themselves to the "smaller pool of candidate" which is a total non-sequitur.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
On the PP? When he was at the side of the net in the corner?

Well yeah if that’s the sequence I’m thinking about. I remember the commentator mentioned something Ryan but I watch every game on PVR so I always go back and forth. I check some plays several times.

Going to verify again, which period was it?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well yeah if that’s the sequence I’m thinking about. I remember the commentator mentioned something Ryan but I watch every game on PVR so I always go back and forth. I check some plays several times.

Going to verify again, which period was it?

Geez, let me think about it - when you're at the game it's kind of a blur.

It would have been in our end of the rink, so 1st or 3rd period.

I suspect the 3rd period when we had 2 PPs, as opposed to our PP in the 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad