Player Discussion Chris Tierney (C)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Quite astonishing to see the impact that Tierney has made so quickly.

-Tied for team lead with 8 points (2 goals and 6 assists) in 6 games (with Thomas Chabot)
-Tied for team lead with 4 powerplay points (with Maxime Lajoie)
-Team lead among regular centres at 55% in the faceoff circle

In terms of his style, I get such a strong Bryan Smolinski vibe from him.

Good complementary player, decent skillset, not really elite at anything but fits in well with whomever.

Hopefully he can keep up the solid play.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Seem's like he will make a great 2nd/3rd line centre on a team with good depth. I like the idea of a Tkatchuk-Tierney-Stone line and Duchene centring his own line. If we can resign both Duchene and Stone, a future top 9 of those 4 and Pageau, Batherson, Chaplik, Formenton and White pick seems like a deep group.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Seem's like he will make a great 2nd/3rd line centre on a team with good depth. I like the idea of a Tkatchuk-Tierney-Stone line and Duchene centring his own line. If we can resign both Duchene and Stone, a future top 9 of those 4 and Pageau, Batherson, Chaplik, Formenton and White pick seems like a deep group.

Duchene is not going to be resigned.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Duchene is not going to be resigned.

Even though this?

So is he lying or you mean the Sens won’t want to sign him? They let go Turris, gave their recent 1st (albeit late) and have their next 1st in jeopardy to acquire Duchene not even 1 year ago.

You seem pretty much 100% sure. Insider info or something?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Even though this?

So is he lying or you mean the Sens won’t want to sign him? They let go Turris, gave their recent 1st (albeit late) and have their next 1st in jeopardy to acquire Duchene not even 1 year ago.

Did you hear the qualifying quote in the same interview, after he said that, though?

“I’ve said many times I’d love for this to work,” Duchene said. “There’s some elements that have to go into that, but I’ve really enjoyed my time here and we’ll see what the future holds.

What are the elements that need to fall into place? Money? Bonus structure? Mark Stone also re-signing? The team committing to spending more on players to become a contender in the next ~2 years?

So far, Dorion and Melnyk haven't been able to get any star to commit here long term. Karlsson is gone, Stone narrowly avoided arbitration with a 1 year deal, and according to reports, Dorion and Duchene's agent have only had very preliminary talks.

Most fans are taking the position of let me know when it's done, otherwise, I don't believe it - and rightfully so.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Did you hear the qualifying quote in the same interview, after he said that, though?

What are the elements that need to fall into place? Money? Bonus structure? Mark Stone also re-signing? The team committing to spending more on players to become a contender in the next ~2 years?

So far, Dorion and Melnyk haven't been able to get any star to commit here long term. Karlsson is gone, Stone narrowly avoided arbitration with a 1 year deal, and according to reports, Dorion and Duchene's agent have only had very preliminary talks.

Most fans are taking the position of let me know when it's done, otherwise, I don't believe it - and rightfully so.

Ok and? Why are you writing all this?

Did I say anywhere that he was guaranteed to be signed? Did I reveal what I think will happen? At this point, I have no idea anymore. I used to be pretty confident in re-signing our players when Murray was still there (look at the list below) but not anymore.

Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I posted this BECAUSE the poster I quoted didn't take the approach you are preaching in the highlighted, so he should be the one you were quoting with this... He said "Duchene is not going to be resigned". Sounds like a 100% sure statement, no?

My post was pretty much trying to accomplish the same thing that you are trying to do with my post. lol funny how the negativity always "win" on the internet

EDIT : here are the signings (over 1.5 M$ AAV) since Dorion became GM (June 2016)

Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So yeah, outside of Hoffman, Dorion/Melnyk haven't extended many significant players, outside of maybe Pageau and Dzingel but it was for their last UFA years. Anderson for 2 years but he is at the end of his career.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Even though this?

What are you expecting him to say? It's pure lip service.

Saying anything to the contrary would cause a panic, like when Duchene said that he was watching the Tavares situation and would have to do what was best for him.

Every pending UFA says they want to stay on the team, even if they would prefer to be elsewhere.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Saying anything to the contrary would cause a panic, like when Duchene said that he was watching the Tavares situation and would have to do what was best for him.

Every pending UFA says they want to stay on the team, even if they would prefer to be elsewhere.

Which brings us to the point I was trying to make, and then that DaveMatthew made when he quoted me (but didn't realize I was making the same point), and as he said :

"Most fans are taking the position of let me know when it's done, otherwise, I don't believe it - and rightfully so."

There's absolutely no way to know right now, one way or the other, and I suspect it will be like that all season until he is extended or traded.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Yup, its just lip service. Sign the contracts and people will believe it but thats it.

Just look at Tavares' quotes last year.

He played them along like a fiddle so that he didn't have to move at the deadline.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Even though this?

He has to live and work in this town. There is zero chance he says "I'm gone bitches"

Reactions: foggyvisor

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Quite astonishing to see the impact that Tierney has made so quickly.

-Tied for team lead with 8 points (2 goals and 6 assists) in 6 games (with Thomas Chabot)
-Tied for team lead with 4 powerplay points (with Maxime Lajoie)
-Team lead among regular centres at 55% in the faceoff circle

In terms of his style, I get such a strong Bryan Smolinski vibe from him.

Good complementary player, decent skillset, not really elite at anything but fits in well with whomever.

Hopefully he can keep up the solid play.

Smolinksi is a great comparison.

If Tierny can be a 50-55 point guy in that vein, I'll be thrilled.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This doesn't make Pageau expendable. Keep both around until we get a legit 2nd line center.
I mean there's no rush or anything, this is a next summer or 2019-20 deadline trade imo. I just think we can fill the role internally and use the money elsewhere rather than give Pageau his UFA contract.

We are badly strapped for money after all, so while there are always arguments for players X and Y being needed for such and such role, the fact is we just don't have the luxury to not have question marks all over the lineup. My opinion is that we need to pay star players and use cheap ELC's and cheap vets to fill holes around them. Enough of our meager budget being eaten up by paying 3-5 million for your role players.

That said, if Duchene leaves which seems like the most likely scenario, then we may keep both Tierney and Pageau for longer. If Duchene stay, one is definitely gone after next season at the latest imo, especially with Brown, Chlapik, Paul & White all looking for center roles.

Reactions: DrEasy

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
He looks like one of those guys who can fit up and down the lineup as needed. You can't rely on him as a top line guy but if you have an injury, maybe he can pull it off for 10-20 games.

Good shot, good speed, decent instincts. Caveat is I haven't watched much, just parts of a period here and there.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I've been impressed with his ability to make skilled plays without having a ton of skill. He can make some amazing passes in tight, he's patient with the puck, good on the boards. I think he will be succesful here because he's just a smart player with a good all -around skillset.

With Duchene, Tierney, Pageau and White/Chlapik/Smith we have guys that can pretty much play against anyone. That's nice to have.

Reactions: Clayonator

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He has to live and work in this town. There is zero chance he says "I'm gone *****es"

But my question was why you were talking in absolute?

"Duchene is not going to be resigned."

You seemed to be 100% sure, so I was asking how you were so sure since it seems pretty much impossible to say at this point, IMO.

You can say that you think he's gone but talking in absolute that he is not going to be re-signed suggest that you might have some insider info.

I mean there's no rush or anything, this is a next summer or 2019-20 deadline trade imo. I just think we can fill the role internally and use the money elsewhere rather than give Pageau his UFA contract.

We are badly strapped for money after all, so while there are always arguments for players X and Y being needed for such and such role, the fact is we just don't have the luxury to not have question marks all over the lineup. My opinion is that we need to pay star players and use cheap ELC's and cheap vets to fill holes around them. Enough of our meager budget being eaten up by paying 3-5 million for your role players.

That said, if Duchene leaves which seems like the most likely scenario, then we may keep both Tierney and Pageau for longer. If Duchene stay, one is definitely gone after next season at the latest imo, especially with Brown, Chlapik, Paul & White all looking for center roles.

You're forgetting about the salary cap floor. We will have a hard time reaching it, even IF we are able to extend both Duchene and Stone at 8 M$ per year.

Tkachuk ($925,000) - Tierney ($2,937,500) - Stone ($8,000,000)
Boedker ($4,000,000) - Duchene ($8,000,000) - Ryan ($7,250,000)
Balcers ($759,167) - Chlapik ($728,333) - Batherson ($736,666)
Formenton ($753,333) - Pageau ($3,100,000) - White ($1,800,000)
Paul ($900,000)

Chabot ($863,333) - DeMelo ($900,000)
Lajoie ($710,000) - Jaros ($755,000)
Wolanin ($1,800,000) - Harpur ($725,000)
Borowiecki ($1,200,000)

Anderson ($4,750,000)
Condon ($2,400,000)

That line-up cap hit is $55,743,332, including Gaborik and MacArthur cap hits on LTIR (only cost 20% in real cash)

In that scenario, I traded Dzingel, Ceci and Smith for no salary in return so if we keep one of them and/or get some salary in return, we might reach the cap floor (which will probably be a bit higher next year)

I traded those guys because they won't be "needed" in the future; although I'm not sure about Ceci, right side looks weak, might as well extend him a few more years (until JBD is ready) and trade/waive Harpur instead.

After the 2019-20 season, Ryan will only have 2 years left, you can either trade him with retained salary or buy him out (cost would "only" be $1,833,333 per season for the 4 next years). Not to mention both Anderson and Condon contracts coming off the books (also Boedker and Pageau)

Seriously, you don't have to worry about money for a while. Reaching the cap floor will be a harder challenge. We'll have to give out some contracts at some point to stay "legal" within the NHL rules. Pageau won't ever be too expensive. I could see 3.8 x 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->