Value of: Chris Tierney to COL

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Richard. You need to find a deal to get one of JTC or Donskoi off the roster before adding a player like this.
Well yeah...

A couple? Come on dude. You’d take Detroit’s 2nd in 2021 and that would suffice. I’d do the 2nd in 2022 if Detroit would rather it be that draft vs 2021.
I meant something like a 2nd + 3rd, or 3rd + 3rd. Which is very comparable in value to the high 2nd from Detroit that you mentioned.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Tierney is a "doesn't make a lot of mistakes" but "doesn't initiate a lot of play" kind of player.

He makes smart plays in clearing zones and short, effective passes, and he is positionally very sound.

But he's not a take charge kind of player and you really have to pay attention to notice the little things that he does. Sometimes you're left wanting for bigger things.
You just exactly described Tyson Jost. I'm with the others in this thread that the Avs don't need him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You just exactly described Tyson Jost. I'm with the others in this thread that the Avs don't need him.

If you can trade JTC for a 2nd rounder, maybe see what Graves buys you at 3C. Graves gets you something off a higher shelf than Tierney.

this assumes Byram and Timmins both look or continue to look good, otherwise, you keep Graves as your most excellent 3rd pair. He’s easily one of the best 3rd pair defenders playing on such a pair this season.

Avs don’t need to make any trades for a while. Cole was the domino that needed to fall and it did.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I mean realistically Nuke probably peaked last year. Peaks are usually in the 23-25 range.

Probably, but he was still a 24 year old with ~225 career NHL games, coming off a 57 game, 10 point season where he wasn't tendered a QO. If we applied the same standards you want to use for Compher, Nuke shouldn't have gotten a chance.

And, I'm not saying that Compher is definitely going to be a solid C going forward. I just don't think that writing him off at C because he wasn't great in his first thee seasons, when he mostly played wing anyway, is the best way to evaluate talent.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
I don't see much of a difference between him and Namestikov who was probably a better fit here anyways.

I don't see how Nichushkin peaked, I think he's only going to get better from here provided he has the opportunities.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If you can trade JTC for a 2nd rounder, maybe see what Graves buys you at 3C. Graves gets you something off a higher shelf than Tierney.

this assumes Byram and Timmins both look or continue to look good, otherwise, you keep Graves as your most excellent 3rd pair. He’s easily one of the best 3rd pair defenders playing on such a pair this season.

Avs don’t need to make any trades for a while. Cole was the domino that needed to fall and it did.
Who are the 3C's on the "higher shelf" that you would target if you moved Graves?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Tierney is tough to move. I feel like he's worth a pick in the 25-35 overall range in most years. I think he's a solid shutdown 3C option for a contender.

But if I'm Dorion, I think I'd be targetting a B+ defense prospect and a serviceable low-salary high-cap dump that we can flip for a pick at the deadline (with retention).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->