Value of: Chris Tierney to COL

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
:avs :sens

What would it cost to acquire Chris Tierney from Ottawa?

Tierney has a $3.5m x 2 year contract.

Colorado have about $1.8m in capspace with a 20 man roster and full taxi squad.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Agreed. Tierney is a functionally solid player but the Avs have already traded their second round picks for the next two years plus this year’s fourth rounder. I’m wary of investing too much more valuable draft capital unless it’s for a major upgrade.

JTC has started the year poorly but Jost looks solid...between the two of them and Bellemare I’m not sure I see Tierney as worth a very marginal short-term upgrade at best to the bottom six center line-up, where Tierney will not be getting the big minutes to produce 40 points and doesn’t play the type of heavy or pesky physical game that would offer something different come playoff time.

Obviously a year late getting on this action but a guy like Pageau is what the Avs should be looking at come deadline time if they want to add/improve the third line center spot.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tierney's a good player, but I don't understand why the Avs need him or where he fits in the lineup.

Tierney is a "doesn't make a lot of mistakes" but "doesn't initiate a lot of play" kind of player.

His first game was a bit of a revelation in terms of his commitment to battling and involving himself in the play (on a very good line with cannonball Nick Paul), but the second was a more traditional outing for him.

He makes smart plays in clearing zones and short, effective passes, and he is positionally very sound.

But he's not a take charge kind of player and you really have to pay attention to notice the little things that he does. Sometimes you're left wanting for bigger things.

Reminds me a bit of Radek Bonk.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Would be a mistake if the Sens moved him right now, perhaps in the offseason but someone has to play the tough minutes and survive. Played 27:04 at ES vs Toronto, 21:31 was with Matthews on the ice.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Solid player.

AVs should wait if either Compher, Jost or possibly Bowers can be a 3C serviceable player.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Tierney is a "doesn't make a lot of mistakes" but "doesn't initiate a lot of play" kind of player.

His first game was a bit of a revelation in terms of his commitment to battling and involving himself in the play (on a very good line with cannonball Nick Paul), but the second was a more traditional outing for him.

He makes smart plays in clearing zones and short, effective passes, and he is positionally very sound.

But he's not a take charge kind of player and you really have to pay attention to notice the little things that he does. Sometimes you're left wanting for bigger things.

Reminds me a bit of Radek Bonk.

My issue is that the Avs already have Nuke-Compher-Donskoi and Jost-PEB-Calvert as their bottom 6, with Bowers/Kaut/LOC/etc ready for call up, so I struggle to see a good reason why we need to add Tierney or where he fits in the lineup.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Tierney's a good player, but I don't understand why the Avs need him or where he fits in the lineup.
The glaring hole at 3C where Compher is. Compher is a good winger but not good at all at C. Bowers looks like he has the potential to take that spot but we're not in the position where we can wait for players like Bowers to get to that level. So adding a player like Tierney or Jenner or some other 3C makes a lot of sense.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The glaring hole at 3C where Compher is. Compher is a good winger but not good at all at C. Bowers looks like he has the potential to take that spot but we're not in the position where we can wait for players like Bowers to get to that level. So adding a player like Tierney or Jenner or some other 3C makes a lot of sense.

So, we get Tierney/Jenner/whoever to be our 3C, move Compher to wing, and then who gets pushed out of the lineup? And, how does someone like Bowers eventually get to that level if we keep putting more roadblocks in his path to getting NHL ice time?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So, we get Tierney/Jenner/whoever to be our 3C, move Compher to wing, and then who gets pushed out of the lineup? And, how does someone like Bowers eventually get to that level if we keep putting more roadblocks in his path to getting NHL ice time?

Is there any urgency here?

Guys like Tierney can usually be had at the deadline if the current options aren't the right fit for the post-season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Depends on who is playing the most effective hockey at the time. Could be Belly, Jost, or Dong honestly. And as much as the org will want him to succeed, doing whatever they can to win a cup is going to take the priority.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Unless Ottawa is open to a Compher for Tierney swap, there's no room for Tierney here.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Tierney is a solid player, probably our only decent faceoff guy, and can play anywhere in the lineup, with anyone, and on both special teams. I think it would legitimately take a 1st for us to deal him right now, which is obviously too much. Makes much more sense for us to play out the next year and a quarter with him and either extend him or flip him for a 2nd then. He isn't going to lose value and we don't have anyone to replace him. I would only really trade him for a high pick, a similar C, or in a package for a better player. Rather get a bit less for him next year than a bit more for him this year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tierney is a solid player, probably our only decent faceoff guy, and can play anywhere in the lineup, with anyone, and on both special teams. I think it would legitimately take a 1st for us to deal him right now, which is obviously too much. Makes much more sense for us to play out the next year and a quarter with him and either extend him or flip him for a 2nd then. He isn't going to lose value and we don't have anyone to replace him. I would only really trade him for a high pick, a similar C, or in a package for a better player. Rather get a bit less for him next year than a bit more for him this year.

The acquisition of Stepan was interesting because I felt that both guys were in similar situations.

In a way, I'm thinking they're competing with each other in terms of figuring in the medium-to-long-term timeframe.

Tierney's a bit younger, but I suspect he's reached his full development potential in most respects.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Bowers would replace Bellemare in 2021/22, and then Jenner/Tierney become UFA's themselves in 2022, so there would be a clear progression path for Bowers, from 4C to 3C.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Unless Ottawa is open to a Compher for Tierney swap, there's no room for Tierney here.
Something like Graves for Tierney+ could work. Avs are deep on D and Byram might make Graves expendable. Up front Compher would move to 4RW and bump Jost or Bellemare to 13F.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Adding a legit 3C who can also play on the wing would be the perfect way to insulate Newhook and Bowers in their first NHL season.

2021/22 projected lineup:

Landeskog -------- Mackinnon ----- Rantanen
Burakovsky ---------- Kadri --------- Nichuskin
Newhook <----> Jenner/Tierney -- Donskoi/Compher
Bowers ---------------- Jost ---------- Kaut

Toews --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Timmins/Graves

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The acquisition of Stepan was interesting because I felt that both guys were in similar situations.

In a way, I'm thinking they're competing with each other in terms of figuring in the medium-to-long-term timeframe.

Tierney's a bit younger, but I suspect he's reached his full development potential in most respects.
I agree, and was pushing the idea of us acquiring Stepan for a long time as a replacement for Tierney, but I think they may still re-sign Stepan and then re-evaluate after expansion. Worse comes to worse, there will be teams with new holes from expansion that are looking for a good middle of the lineup C on a reasonable price tag.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Something like Graves for Tierney+ could work. Avs are deep on D and Byram might make Graves expendable. Up front Compher would move to 4RW and bump Jost or Bellemare to 13F.

I personally would rather have Graves as the #6/7 defenseman than have Tierney as our #3C, mainly because Ian Cole looks even worse this season and there's a good chance we'll have an injury or two come the playoffs. Plus Graves looks like he's still improving - i'm sure my answer will change in another two months :laugh:

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I personally would rather have Graves as the #6/7 defenseman than have Tierney as our #3C, mainly because Ian Cole looks even worse this season and there's a good chance we'll have an injury or two come the playoffs. Plus Graves looks like he's still improving - i'm sure my answer will change in another two months :laugh:
The issue with playing in an easier division (on paper) is that our 3C weakness won't be exposed much before the playoffs, except for in games against St. Louis. Vegas might be tricky too, but their C depth isn't great so we could get away with it perhaps. In the playoffs though you don't want to be running against teams with strong C depth with a weak 3C situation.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The issue with playing in an easier division (on paper) is that our 3C weakness won't be exposed much before the playoffs, except for in games against St. Louis. Vegas might be tricky too, but their C depth isn't great so we could get away with it perhaps. In the playoffs though you don't want to be running against teams with strong C depth with a weak 3C situation.

Ya I agree, but I don't think there is a rush as there is potential for Jost to finally take that step to fill that role. If he doesn't, i'd still look at other ways to fill that hole than trading Graves. Ideally we don't need to see Cole in an Avs jersey ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->