Value of: Chris Tierney or Mikkel Boedker at the draft

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
By the middle of next season, I think Fischer and Perlini will be better than Boedker and Panik.

Maybe but if you want a good team, you need six good wingers. You got Keller obviously and also Fischer, Perlini, and Panik right now with Domi but there's one missing and there's been talks about moving on from Domi. Granted, Arizona potentially has the option to just sign a winger like Perron or Neal or JVR or Nash. I'm sure there are plenty of options in free agency for them to go after but will they choose Arizona? I don't know if they will or not.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That’s simply not accurate

I agree that McCabe isn't a #6 but he's also of no interest to the Sharks. The Sharks should be going for bigger fish on defense and have a similar player in guys like Brenden Dillon and Joakim Ryan that can do what McCabe does. They don't need another like them.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You're missing the point with regards to the Toronto proposal. It was merely an example of a potential hockey trade to be made. The Sharks only need to dump cap if they're actually in on Tavares. They don't need to dump cap to keep their guys or go after a free agent that isn't Tavares since they're not going to have interest in Carlson really who would be the other premium top dollar free agent. But you're coming at it with antiquated thinking if you believe that you split the forwards off at the top six/bottom six. You need three good lines up front that could all at least be 2nd line caliber and let's be real. Boedker is a more proven commodity than Brown. They probably shouldn't be putting their eggs in the basket of a guy who is coming off a 14-14 season as a top six option. Boedker would be an upgrade on that spot and there's no reason to rely on Kapanen to take the next step at this point unless they have no choice.

Sharks already have too many guys on their team that are defense oriented. They need someone who is an actual threat from the blue line besides Brent Burns and I would prefer it on the left side.

Martin is probably bought out. Thornton has flexibility in his contract because he can take up performance bonuses to get paid if he was willing and the Sharks could lower his salary and cap hit to open space up for other things. I suspect that will be tied in with the potential Tavares signing and failing that any defensive adds. Sharks need to move a couple wingers as it is right now and one of them should be Melker Karlsson regardless but the 2nd one is up for debate based on how things play out.

Marner, Nylander, Hyman, Brown, Marceau, Kapanen.... 6 top 9 wingers

Center: Matthews, Kadri

Toronto isn’t trading a top 4 D for a middle 6 winger... no matter how ideal the scenario is for SJ

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I agree that McCabe isn't a #6 but he's also of no interest to the Sharks. The Sharks should be going for bigger fish on defense and have a similar player in guys like Brenden Dillon and Joakim Ryan that can do what McCabe does. They don't need another like them.

That’s fine.

We’ll do a 3rd and prospect for Boedker... but apparently you guys can trade him for a top 4 defensemen...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Marner, Nylander, Hyman, Brown, Marceau, Kapanen.... 6 top 9 wingers

Center: Matthews, Kadri

Toronto isn’t trading a top 4 D for a middle 6 winger... no matter how ideal the scenario is for SJ

Putting Brown or Kapanen ahead of Boedker at this point would be silly.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Upgrading from either to Boedker at the cost of a 50 point, 22 minute defensemen is infinitely sillier

Not if they soured on him greatly after a game 7 and just don't want to deal with the hassles of keeping him yet still want to have an asset that will contribute well to them now as a playoff team. Let's not pretend like they don't have reasons to trade Gardiner.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not if they soured on him greatly after a game 7 and just don't want to deal with the hassles of keeping him yet still want to have an asset that will contribute well to them now as a playoff team. Let's not pretend like they don't have reasons to trade Gardiner.

So they’ll trade him for something they need (C/D)... not to upgrade their 5th or 6th best winger.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Id go for it and Columbus fans likely would. For San Jose though you would likely want a fair bit added to Carlsson
Probably not a fair bit. Isn’t Carlsson a righty? Even if he is a lefty put Dillon on the right and he would be a perfect partner on our third pair. Maybe adding in a 3rd or 4th.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lernout is almost exactly what you described in your bracketed portion lol but I am 100% certain the first you've heard of him is that google search you clearly just did. And I realize Tierney has more value which is why there is a 2nd rounder to bridge the gap.

You’re right, I haven’t ever heard of Lernout. And considering that Lernout is a 22 year old Canadien, the fact that I had never heard of him before you mentioned him tells me that he is a total nobody.

If Tierney played for Montreal, there would be Tierney+2nd for ROR threads on the main board right now.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Probably not a fair bit. Isn’t Carlsson a righty? Even if he is a lefty put Dillon on the right and he would be a perfect partner on our third pair. Maybe adding in a 3rd or 4th.
Id be all over Carlsson and a 3rd. Columbus likely has Gavrikov coming over soon so it wouldnt hurt the outlook of our D. Also Carlsson is a lefty

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That’s fine.

We’ll do a 3rd and prospect for Boedker... but apparently you guys can trade him for a top 4 defensemen...

If Jake McCabe were a legitimate top-4 defenseman, the Sabres wouldn’t have been the worst team in the league.

Reactions: Bizz

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If Jake McCabe were a legitimate top-4 defenseman, the Sabres wouldn’t have been the worst team in the league.

Oy... that’s just dumb.

FYI: McCabe tried to play through a bum shoulder suffered before having season ending surgery (only played 53 games).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Oy... that’s just dumb.

FYI: McCabe tried to play through a bum shoulder suffered before having season ending surgery (only played 53 games).

Whatever floats your boat. I certainly don’t want McCabe in my top-4 if I’m planning on trying to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Bizz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->