Chris Tanev

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I hope this doesn't turn into what most threads that mention a Canucks prospect do, but I have been really impressed with what I have seen from Chris Tanev.

In case you haven't see or heard about him, he is an undrafted college free agent that the Canucks signed out of R.I.T. (NCAA Div. I). He grew up playing with Sam Gagne, but quit hockey for a year after playing Bantam because he was only 5'3" and about 105lb. Then he started to grow. He went undrafted and ended up at R.I.T.. The Canucks signed him as a 20 year old based on Dave Gagne's scouting and knowledge of his play. He's now 6'2" and about 190lb.

He's a great skater. His smooth effortless stride remind me a lot of Lukas Krajicek, but unlike Krajicek, he can also defend and play physically. What has impressed most fans is his decision making and first pass. He's extremely cool under pressure and either skating or passing, he moves the puck quickly and reliably.

Now before the Lidstrom comparisons from some Canucks fans come in, he hasn't shown a lot of offense yet at any level, but he has managed to pass Kevin Connauton, Yann Sauve and Ryan Parent on the depth chart, and when Aaron Rome returns from injury he may find himself a healthy scratch due to Tanev's play.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
I have been very happy with Tanev's play. I think it's safe to say he's an NHLer now, at least in the bottom pair for a good handful of teams.

It's good to see players make the league despite their size and thanks to their smarts.

A cool, calm and collected defensive defenseman with a great first pass and great positioning is really what we needed in the depth chart and it's what we're fortunate enough to have.

I don't care about his offense, especially when we have guys like Ehrhoff, Edler and Bieksa on the team, and Connauton & friends on the farm. It's much easier to buy good offense than good defense so I'm glad we have him.

That said, UNDRAFTED!? This league makes a lot of mention how it's all about building through the draft and making good on your picks, but when you're signing undrafted players of this caliber then you're going above and beyond. The Canucks haven't had as many picks as we'd like the last two drafts cause we used them in trade but they become expendable with signings like this. Huge props to Dave Gagne for this find and his scouting in general.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yes! Tanev thread. Deserves it. He plays like a pro, and has the ability to succeed. Just needs to bulk up and attack in the O zone more often. Both should come in time.

What separates him: Intelligence and footspeed. He can erase a mistake with his recovery. Positioning is consistent and on the mark. He's ahead of anything I expected from Canuck D prospects.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Pretty sure Ottawa was interested in him looks like you are the ones who lucked out, not like you needed it compared to us :(

KingJet*

I remember seeing him play for Manitoba, they only played him for like 10 Minutes and man he was such an amazing skater, like it was so smooth and fast and up to par, like no one can get passed him, probably a steal for the Canucks, just an amazing skater.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Honestly when I watch Tanev play this year one thing I'm very impressed with is his poise. I can't really recall a play that he completely screwed up and panicked. He really reminds me of Alex Edler when Edler first broke into the league as a rookie. I don't know if his ceiling is as high as Edler's, but Tanev looks to be on his way to becoming a quality NHL defenseman.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Honestly when I watch Tanev play this year one thing I'm very impressed with is his poise. I can't really recall a play that he completely screwed up and panicked. He really reminds me of Alex Edler when Edler first broke into the league as a rookie. I don't know if his ceiling is as high as Edler's, but Tanev looks to be on his way to becoming a quality NHL defenseman.

One might say that his puck-poise is Skoula-like.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
One might say that his puck-poise is Skoula-like.

Whoa, whoa, let's not go crazy here. He's only played 7 games. Let's see how he does for a while longer before comparing him to the great Martin Skoula.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Tanev has been very impressive since getting the call to the Canucks, he just looks so comfortable, like he's a sophomore already. He's got it figured out, and he's already a solid bottom-pairing defenseman.

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
For those who have seen him play and have heard the vancouver media talk about him:

- do you think Tanev is going to be a regular player over the next few years? Or he just seems to be the immediate answer to an injured canuck blue line?

- if you had to compare him to a current NHL player, who would you compare him to?

Thanks! can't wait to see a nucks game to see this guy.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
For those who have seen him play and have heard the vancouver media talk about him:

- do you think Tanev is going to be a regular player over the next few years? Or he just seems to be the immediate answer to an injured canuck blue line?

- if you had to compare him to a current NHL player, who would you compare him to?

I, as a Canuck fan, am excited for his future with the team. That said, I know it's only been a 7 game stretch. A lot can happen from here on out. With proper expectations, and his continued development, I don't see what would hold Tanev back from becoming a long-term Canuck. He seems to have adapted so quickly to such a difficult position, on a team that already had good depth on D. For that reason, it's difficult to rule out an NHL career for him at this point. Meaning, I see no red flags.

I don't see him as a regular next year, because I hope Gillis brings in a vet to add depth. Injuries happen, and sooner or later Tanev would be called up regardless. That would give him another year in the AHL to hone his offensive game. Then, I see him lock up a bottom pairing spot the following year. He would be 22~ at that point.

The comparison being thrown around, and yes it's early and no one is saying he is this player, just the style of play is similar, is Paul Martin. It seems the most appropriate. He's fast, poised, and very intelligent. More of a stick-checker due to lack of strength --> but he has the frame to put on weight. Also, Tanev is playing a very conservative game right now, trying not to make a mistake, but as soon as he gets comfortable and starts to attack more, it's gonna be fun watching him go to another level.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
It's too bad Defensive depth is Vancouver's greatest asset. There isn't a lot of room for someone to find a spot on a healthy Vancouver D Roster. I haven't been able to watch him much so I'm not sure how he'd compare with Alberts, Rome, Ballard etc.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's too bad Defensive depth is Vancouver's greatest asset. There isn't a lot of room for someone to find a spot on a healthy Vancouver D Roster. I haven't been able to watch him much so I'm not sure how he'd compare with Alberts, Rome, Ballard etc.

Tanev is nowhere near as gritty as the players mentioned. It's not his game to be so. He's a positional player that uses his stick to break up plays. Alberts, Rome, and Ballard can check sticks and hit. They play a rougher brand of hockey by far.

For bottom pairing potential though, I think Tanev has already shown more than either Alberts or Rome. That's how poised his play has been. He just doesn't get rattled, and plays like a robot. Ballard, unlike the other two, is gritty _and_ skilled. He's a top-4 D. His job wouldn't be threatened by Tanev. The other two... not so sure.

To play the "what if" game: Next year, if Vancouver decides to go with 5 top 4D again (bringing Ehrhoff and Bieksa back), then Tanev would be in tough to crack the 6th spot. Gillis seems like a GM that will sign a vet D and push Tanev down the depth chart, just to maintain that depth. Like I said in a previous post, injuries happen, and Tanev would be up before long.

0123456789*

He has so much hockey smarts its rather incredible. I honestly didnt see this coming. Tanev wont only be a good player in the NHL but he will be a star and a top pairing dman, barring injuries I can pretty much guarantee that. Had he not almost given up on his hockey dream in his most important developmental years he might have been a star player already, he has the one thing you cant teach, hockey iq and vision.

I started saying he will likely be playing in the AHL next season as he is still young and waiver exempt so adds to organizational depth. But based on the minuits he has been getting and shifts given and what AV, Gillis, Rick Bouness and Moose staff been saying and the way they have praised him and trusted him I honestly think he will be given a fair opportunity to make the team next year(and he should). It will be interesting to see what happens next year but Tanev is the real deal. Having said that he is still a very raw player and will take time for him to reach his full potential, and that potential is high.

I am absolutely shocked this kid wasnt drafted and even more shocked that Gillis signed him and no one realized the significance of this signing. I have to say that Gillis and his staff/system have worked some miracles since he became GM, this is one of them. Or maybe he just has horseshoes up hisass.

0123456789*

Tanev is nowhere near as gritty as the players mentioned. It's not his game to be so. He's a positional player that uses his stick to break up plays. Alberts, Rome, and Ballard can check sticks and hit. They play a rougher brand of hockey by far.

For bottom pairing potential though, I think Tanev has already shown more than either Alberts or Rome. That's how poised his play has been. He just doesn't get rattled, and plays like a robot. Ballard, unlike the other two, is gritty _and_ skilled. He's a top-4 D. His job wouldn't be threatened by Tanev. The other two... not so sure.

To play the "what if" game: Next year, if Vancouver decides to go with 5 top 4D again (bringing Ehrhoff and Bieksa back), then Tanev would be in tough to crack the 6th spot. Gillis seems like a GM that will sign a vet D and push Tanev down the depth chart, just to maintain that depth. Like I said in a previous post, injuries happen, and Tanev would be up before long.

He doesnt play as rough or aggressive but he hits and uses his body very very well to separate players from the puck. And like many other things he always seems to use his body at the right time. He is one of those rare players that sees the game very differently then other players, he also has enough size and skill but like I said he is a raw player. He has everything he needs to become a top pairing dman in this league and just needs to work on a few areas(in another 5 years its scary to think where he will be).

I would consider him actually tied for number two on the Vancouver prospect depth chart with Hodgson who both are behind Schnieder. 1#Schnieder, 2#Hodgson/Tanev...I actually cant decided who is the better prospect as they play different positions. I would not have said this before Tanev went to camp and not before his call up when I have got to see him play in the NHL a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
All i really know about him is that the sens tried to sign him as well, brought him in for dinner too, but he chose the nucks.

From what i've seen of him in vancouver, he looks like he belongs. Havnt seen enough of him to say much about long-term potential, but he should stick as a 3rd pairing guy at the very least.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
I think what's really exciting about Tanev is he's on what is one of the best skating d-cores in the league and still his skating manages to stand out. It will be interesting to see how he develops but he is very reminiscent of Edler at the same age in that he just looks so calm and collected at all times.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site

I very much think he will be a regular player as soon as next year. The Canucks are lucky to have their relatively young defensive core locked up for the next few years but there should be one space open on the blueline next season. Has already shown he can handle 15-16 minutes a night no problem (though to be fair, it is only 7 games). Ultimately, he does need work on his physical game and and his shot looks weak to me, but his first pass and his defensive reads are already at an NHL level.

Can't say there's a particular player other than a poor man's version of Paul Martin really, which has been mentioned. Offensively, reminds me of Dan Hamhuis - tremendous skater, great first pass, but not particularly creative or able to lead the rush. Defensively, he plays a very cerebral, positional game like Sami Salo.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Tanev is going to be a fantastic NHL player. His hockey IQ is incredible, for a guy that was playing Junior b or whatever a year ago its amazing to see him blend in so well at the NHL level.

As for a comparison its tough to say. I'd say a smarter Jay Bouwmeester or Sami Salo without the cannon. Just picture a smooth skating, intelligent calm cooled D-man. Maybe Kaberle?

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
I very much think he will be a regular player as soon as next year. The Canucks are lucky to have their relatively young defensive core locked up for the next few years but there should be one space open on the blueline next season. Has already shown he can handle 15-16 minutes a night no problem (though to be fair, it is only 7 games). Ultimately, he does need work on his physical game and and his shot looks weak to me, but his first pass and his defensive reads are already at an NHL level.

Can't say there's a particular player other than a poor man's version of Paul Martin really, which has been mentioned. Offensively, reminds me of Dan Hamhuis - tremendous skater, great first pass, but not particularly creative or able to lead the rush. Defensively, he plays a very cerebral, positional game like Sami Salo.

This was very helpful, great description of the player. I saw him briefly on saturday watching cbc's late night game. However, not nearly enough to have an opinion on him yet. He sounds amazing to a lot of people on here. I'll admit his skating stride is something else...

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It's tough for me to be too excited about Tanev, I think that's partially because we signed him as an undrafted free agent so it's hard to raise my expectations for such a player. That being said, he's really played great so far. He looks very much like Alex Edler did when he broke into the league, although that does not mean he has an equally high ceiling. It's difficult really to gage how good Tanev will be, and I could certainly see this being a thread that gets bumped 3 years down the road as an "I told you so" message.. Haha..

Personally, I think Tanev will be a top 4 defender longterm in the NHL. Anything more than that is very difficult to predict.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad