Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Until this Canuck team actually controls the play in the offensive zone, all of their d-men are in harm's way. Bad hockey teams have the most injuries.

And bad hockey teams also block a lot of shots. Ottawa apparently leads the league in that category. So as Tanev and Edler age out, you can count on them less and less.

The Canucks have to move on from Tanev this off-season anyway....even if all they get is a draft pick back, at least they open up some cap space.

Reactions: LordBacon

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Believe it or not, injuries are more than just bad luck. There is a reason why certain players never get injured. Look at how often Nik Lidstrom was injured. He knew how to absorb a hit, block a shot properly, didn’t admire passes etc. There’s a reason why the same players get hurt over and over.

Plus we are a terrible team which means we don’t have the puck a lot so you’re gonna get a ton of shots against, you’re gonna not have possession of the puck a lot so you’re akin to take more penalties chasing it, thus leading to PK, in turn leading to blocked shots and broken feet.

Reactions: jonnygf40

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Until this Canuck team actually controls the play in the offensive zone, all of their d-men are in harm's way. Bad hockey teams have the most injuries.

And bad hockey teams also block a lot of shots. Ottawa apparently leads the league in that category. So as Tanev and Edler age out, you can count on them less and less.

I'm not so sure about the correlation you're drawing. Teams that suffer the most injuries tend to have a hard time being a good team.

As for blocking shots, in theory the more you control the puck the less opportunities you have for blocking shots. Then again, in theory the better you are at blocking shots the less unblocked shots attempts you allow. But tell the Golden Knights that bad hockey teams block a lot of shots (I think the Capitals blocked about 1/3rd of their shot attempts in the playoffs last year?). My guess is that if you crunch the numbers, there would be little to no correlation between shot blocking and winning hockey games. But I would like to see someone crunch the numbers for playoff series only, especially the Stanley Cup Finals.

For me, the ability to block shots is a good trait. By blocking shots, I don't mean just sprawling onto the ice to block a shot. I mean you're positioning yourself in a way that you're blocking the shooting lanes.

Speaking of which, oddly enough, Edler hasn't really been praised as a premier shot blocker.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Chris Tanev went from the best defensive defender in the sport to injury prone garbage.

Love him to death, he will be one of my favourite Canucks ever but this player is completely finished and it absolutely breaks my heart to see his best days wasted on this junk team.

In 2014/2015 Edler / Tanev was the second best pairing in the entire Western conference based on results. From 2014 - 2017 Christopher Tanev was the best shot suppressing defender in the league by a country mile.

People don’t understand how good this guy was. A GM like Dubas would have moved a kings ransom for 2016/2017 version of Tanev.

It’s just too bad we weren’t able to maximize his player value.

The idea that Benning inherited nothing is absolutely insane. He turned Ryan Kesler, Dan Hamhuis, Christopher Tanev, Alexandre Burrows, Jason Garrison, Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa into Luca Sbisa, Brandon Sutter, Linden Vey and Linus Karlsson.

This team could have absolutely rebuilt by dealing these players and acquiring proper value for them.

1 st + Theodore/Vatanen for Kesler
1 st + prospect for 2015 Alex Edler
Elite prospect + for 2016 Chris Tanev
2nd + for Dan Hamhuis
2nd + for Jason Garrison

Jim Benning inherited a team with 5 players capable of playing top 4 minutes. He lost 3 of them for nothing that’s left on the roster and has let the other 2 rot to a point where their value has completely diminished.

“Rebuild”

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Man the hockey gods must REALLY want us to play all the kids down the stretch, they are putting all of the vets out of the lineup for the rest of the season.

Reactions: lindgren

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
This team could have absolutely rebuilt by dealing these players and acquiring proper value for them.

1 st + Theodore/Vatanen for Kesler
1 st + prospect for 2015 Alex Edler
Elite prospect + for 2016 Chris Tanev
2nd + for Dan Hamhuis
2nd + for Jason Garrison

Jim Benning inherited a team with 5 players capable of playing top 4 minutes. He lost 3 of them for nothing that’s left on the roster and has let the other 2 rot to a point where their value has completely diminished.

“Rebuild”
This probably isn't the right place for this discussion, but we did get a 2nd round pick for Garrison, and I don't believe Vatanen was EVER on the table for Kesler. As for Edler, he simply didn't want to waive his NTC, you can't hold that against the GM, especially when he wasn't even the GM that signed the contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This probably isn't the right place for this discussion, but we did get a 2nd round pick for Garrison, and I don't believe Vatanen was EVER on the table for Kesler. As for Edler, he simply didn't want to waive his NTC, you can't hold that against the GM, especially when he wasn't even the GM that signed the contract.
I agree.

Tanev love the guy but I can’t feel comfortable extending him. Just can’t count on him.

Ntc are what they are. Gave them to players who didn’t want to leave outside of Kesler who didn’t care where he won he just wanted to win. Team benefited cap wise by handing them out and thus has to take a hit later on.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wanted him moved at the draft, but that seems unlikely at this point. You just gotta hope he comes back healthy next year and puts up a good stretch to get his value back up. Trading him seems like a no-brainer if there's offers, but I fully expect Benning to give Tanev a new shiny contract alongside Edler.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Yes, we got a 2nd round pick for Jason Garrison.

But we immediately moved that for Linden Vey and nullified all positive aspects of the Garrison trade immediately.

Reactions: MikeK and TruGr1t

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I don’t see how we trade Tanev this offseason unless either

1 The offer is impossible to refuse
Or
2 We somehow manage to find two NHL level RHD

Both unlikely.

It sucks he’s injured a lot but he’s still the best option we have to partner with Quinn.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It will be interesting to see how his contract goes, you'd think a team (Canucks or not) will be hesitant to commit big dollars to a guy who as brittle as a ritz cracker, although Benning calling him a 'canuck for life' or whatever it was might not bode well.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Doy you really think a contending team would rather trade their 3rd leading scorer signed to a fantastic contract over a young defender which was a major organizational strength?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Feel bad for the guy. He's been a quality person and a good hockey player for the club. But at some point you have got to say enough is enough. Either trade him or let him walk. Under no circumstances should he be extended. It is time to move on.

Again, I feel bad for him but enough is enough.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Doy you really think a contending team would rather trade their 3rd leading scorer signed to a fantastic contract over a young defender which was a major organizational strength?

I dont think it was Bonino OR Vatanen, as far as I remember the rumor was 24th, Bonino and a defender not named Fowler/Lindholm. Vatanen may have been among those but Theodore was not. The main problem was that Benning picked probably the worst of all possible options given to him in Sbisa.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I feel bad for him, but he has got to stop making these flailing, uncontrolled shot blocks that end up catching him in a bad spot. If he wants to be the impact player he can be, he has to change this element of his game and stay in the lineup. Maybe let a few more shots go by you when you're not in a good position to block a shot.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yes, we got a 2nd round pick for Jason Garrison.

But we immediately moved that for Linden Vey and nullified all positive aspects of the Garrison trade immediately.
Willie Desjardins would disagree.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Just another example of terrible asset management by Benning. Could have sold Tanev for a huge return a few years ago but now we'd be lucky to get a late 1st.

Reactions: TruKnyte

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The hell does that even mean? Toughness is blocking a shot not jumping out of the way. Just unsubscribe from hfboards already.
It means he’s was eating the tough kind of tofu and not the watery kind.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Chris glass Tanev,,either move him in the off season,,or stop using him as a 1st pairing guy.,,the need for a 1 d man is top priority this off season,but I don't trust Benning in finding one...all we need is another Gudbranson.Tanev tho needs to go as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad