Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Well, there goes the Tanev to TO rumors, now that they've acquired Muzzin. I have a feeling that when it comes to trades, Jimbo will wait too long once again and watch all the big deals come down well before the trade deadline.

Is he actively doing anything at all during trade deadline?

Last time he was baffled to find out that Dmen are at a premium at that time and said they would look in to it.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Is he actively doing anything at all during trade deadline?

Last time he was baffled to find out that Dmen are at a premium at that time and said they would look in to it.
One of our biggest regrets imo will be not trading Edler and Tanev while they still have some good value. Getting a couple firsts, or even 5~ 2nds for them would be such a nice boost.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I think Nashville makes a lot of sense for Tanev. After Subban and Ellis, they have Yannick Weber on the right side....and nothing on the farm. If they continue to lean on their top 4 for so much of the heavy lifting, they're going to burn out again. Tanev + Goldobin for Fabbro and a 1st?

If the Predators are looking to make a push in 2020 then the 2020 trade deadline, when the Predators would only take on a seasoning-ending portion of his then-expiring contract, this could make sense. To do it in 2019, the Predators would pretty certainly be planning to use him as a rental, expecting to trade him away again this summer.

I'd be shocked if the Predators had any interest at all in taking Tanev now with the intention of paying his entire 2019-20 salary of $5.25 million to be their 3rd pair right handed defenceman behind minute munchers Ryan Ellis (2019-20 compensation of $7.7 million) and P.K. Subban (2019-20 salary $10 million.)

Yannick Weber isn't the 3rd pair RHD in Nashville because he's the best player available. If the Preds decide to upgrade that spot, it will likely be another inexpensive option.

Last edited:
Reactions: strattonius

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
If the Predators are looking to make a push in 2020 then the 2020 trade deadline, when the Predators would only take on a seasoning-ending portion of his then-expiring contract, this could make sense. To do it in 2019, the Predators would pretty certainly be planning to use him as a rental, expecting to trade him away again this summer.

I'd be shocked if the Predators had any interest at all in taking Tanev now with the intention of paying his entire 2019-20 salary of $5.25 million to be their 3rd pair right handed defenceman behind minute munchers Ryan Ellis (2019-20 compensation of $7.7 million) and P.K. Subban (2019-20 salary $10 million.)

Yannick Weber isn't the 3rd pair RHD in Nashville because he's the best player available. If the Preds decide to upgrade that spot, it will likely be another inexpensive option.
Why would they view this as a 1 year rental and then flip him in the summer? That makes absolutely no sense to me. Nashville has plenty of cap space next year to absorb the Tanev hit of $4.45 million and sign Fiala to an extension. tanev is an ideal fit, he can do a lot of heavy lifting on the PK/ES so Ellis and Subban don’t have to.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Yea it’s not fair to hold not trading the Sedona against JB or any gm regardless of contract status. Even if they didn’t have a NMC I wouldn’t have traded them as they earned that right to finish out their career here

The asinine “compete cause it’s not fair to the twins” logic though you can hold against JB

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Nashville also has Fabbro coming up to take that 3rd pair role, maybe even this year after his college season is over.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently the Lightning are in the market for a right-shooting d-man....Tanev would be a fit with the Bolts, but of course other than Garrison deal, I can't ever remember Tampa and the Canucks ever coming up with a meaningful trade. It's always been the other team in Florida.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
SeasonVancouver tradesTampa Bay trades
1992-93Dave Capuano, 4thAnatoli Semenov
1995Adrien Plavsic5th
2000-01Adrian Aucoin, 2ndDan Cloutier
2005-06Future considerationsCraig Darby
2008-09Lukas Krajicek, Juraj SimekShane O'Brien, Michel Ouellet
2014Jason Garrison, Jeff Costello, 7th2nd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

member 290103

Gotta keep Edler to be a mentor. FML. Maybe Dim needs a mentor. Could we hire back Gillis to Mentor him?

Reactions: pgj98m3

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
You can blame a player for getting injured if he's doing stupid things. He's not.

The problem is his compete level his bigger than his size.

His size? He's 6-2 195. He's a lot bigger than Biega yet has 1/3 of the hits in 23 more games. Same as Troy Stecher. Hell, even Pettersson is more physical than Tanev.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You can blame a player for getting injured if he's doing stupid things. He's not.

The problem is his compete level his bigger than his size.
Tanev, like his brother in Winnipeg, is all heart all the time.

Extremely even keeled dman on par with hammer.

Would do much better as a 2nd pairing dman on a better team IMO.

Reactions: ChilliBilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->