Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
He has simply been outstanding this year. Reading the numerous stupid Leafs fan proposals and comments on the main board makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

My favorite is "i live in bc and have watched many canuck games. Tanev is a middling #4 defenseman that i wouldn't trade more than a 2nd for".

Probably a couple of those in every Tanev thread and it makes me wonder why these people so open to admit that they lack any ability to evaluate hockey players. I'd love to know how someone watches a ton of canuck games and doesn't come to appreciate all the things Tanev does. If you don't appreciate what Tanev does out there than something tells me your talent evaluation is limited to "OMG dangles" and not really worthy of intelligent hockey discussion.

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
They don't watch him, act like they do, and bring up his 'lack of points' to try and prove their points.

It's hilarious.

Somebody should put together a compilation of all of his great, under appreciated defensive plays and educate fans around the league as to why he's so important and rated so highly here...

Call it the "Tan Pill".

Seriously, coming from a non-hockey country, when I started to follow hockey I simply wasn't able to judge a player by his plays and not only through the stats.

I quickly understood that I wasn't the only one and the majority of people who judge only reading the stats haven't the exscuses of coming from non-hockey country.

I'm really sorry that there isn't enough stuff about Tanev's play.
I found the gif of yesterday's game, but I'm still looking for the highlight of last second's blocked shot against the Wild.
You didn't find that play in the scoreboard, but how important that was?

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Tanev is the engine and core of the team. Backbone of the defence.
Our best player, Pker and best defensive player on the team.
One of the most underrated/underappreciated league wide players and it's unfortunate how other non-Nuck fans can't appreciate what we have here.

So glad to have him on the team. Pretty impressive scouting by Gillis's staff, picking up this free agent years ago.

He's currently playing as a number 1 D for majority of the season and I hope he keeps it up. He's on Vlasic's tier right now.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Guess what? He saves us a goal.
Again.

You will not find it on the stats.

well actually you will. The Canucks are doing ok ... but Tanev is an amazing +10 right now. This early in the season on a middling team, to be like 8th in league is beyond belief. Yes I know that the advance stat boys will have comments, but he is doing very very very well.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The advance stat boys will tell you he's one of the best shot suppressing defensemen in the league. And yes, lost in the shuffle was that nice goal-line save, which prevented Markstrom from giving up yet another early goal:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Funny how their outlook has progressed hey?

>No opinion of Tanev
>Saw Tanev play with Reilly in WHC
>Wow he's underrated and would look great in TO. How about Carrick and a 1st?
>How could you decline that trade? Tanev isn't good enough to get anything more! Plus now he's injury prone!
>Tanev is so ovverated, made of glass.
>Zeitsev is much better, we don't even want Tanev.

Seriously it's like half of them have personality disorders

Note... that you can't paint a full fan base on a few opinions, as vocal as they've been. I'm a Leafs fan, and I think Tanev would make us solid contenders, and that he's a great D man, exactly what we need. I've argued with Leafs fans over value, and said I'd be willing to overpay. I understand what he means to you guys, and this is one Leafs guy, who appreciates he is a very talented player. Well, hard to argue about recurring injury issues though, as freaky as they are... not that I'd use it in an argument to devalue him. I'd understand why you would want to keep him though, great player, sucks for you he's out.

Reactions: Szechwan

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Note... that you can't paint a full fan base on a few opinions, as vocal as they've been. I'm a Leafs fan, and I think Tanev would make us solid contenders, and that he's a great D man, exactly what we need. I've argued with Leafs fans over value, and said I'd be willing to overpay. I understand what he means to you guys, and this is one Leafs guy, who appreciates he is a very talented player. Well, hard to argue about recurring injury issues though, as freaky as they are... not that I'd use it in an argument to devalue him. I'd understand why you would want to keep him though, great player, sucks for you he's out.
He often puts himself in a position to get hurt because he willing to take a hit to make a play and/or hold on to the puck too long.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Should we trade Tanev for young prospect/ picks when he’s in another healthy period again? I get the feeling he’s going to get hurt more and more.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I think its pretty evident who the biggest obstacle is for tank nation. When Tanev is hurt, we completely cave in defensively.

He is such a beautiful player to watch, so much subtlety in his game.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Should we trade Tanev for young prospect/ picks when he’s in another healthy period again? I get the feeling he’s going to get hurt more and more.
I think it depends on how bad we really want to be and whether it's even worth the acquisition of future assets. Tanev is one of the more under rated players in the league, he's routinely our best defenseman. Just look at the Anaheim game, he's the glue to our defense. But if you were to ask fans of other teams, Tanev is worth absolutely nothing because he doesn't provide enough offense and has some rotten injury luck.

I believe that any deal for Tanev just wouldn't be worth it. Keep in mind, we're a bottom three team WITH Tanev on the roster... is an extra 5% odds of getting that elusive 1st overall pick really worth it?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think it depends on how bad we really want to be and whether it's even worth the acquisition of future assets. Tanev is one of the more under rated players in the league, he's routinely our best defenseman. Just look at the Anaheim game, he's the glue to our defense. But if you were to ask fans of other teams, Tanev is worth absolutely nothing because he doesn't provide enough offense and has some rotten injury luck.

I believe that any deal for Tanev just wouldn't be worth it. Keep in mind, we're a bottom three team WITH Tanev on the roster... is an extra 5% odds of getting that elusive 1st overall pick really worth it?
If the management believes that they are going full rebuild, the question being, what has more value, Tanev 5-7 years from now, when the team is competitive again, or whatever haul they can get for him?

What fans believe on this site is irrelevant.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
I think its pretty evident who the biggest obstacle is for tank nation. When Tanev is hurt, we completely cave in defensively.

He is such a beautiful player to watch, so much subtlety in his game.

There's no doubt he is the linchpin of their defense.

The Canucks were 11-26-5 without Tanev in the lineup the past two seasons.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Scary how bad this team would be without Tanev, and even more hilarious how underrated he is on HF boards outside of Van.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'd be leaning towards trading him.

I am Tanev's biggest fan, and I was against trading him, but these injuries are starting to pile up.

He NEEDS to be on a offensively gifted team who doesnt spend too much time in their own zone. Vancouver spends way too much time in its own zone and it is taking a toll on him.

Reactions: MAGICMAN1963

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the can get a high end young D who can be a 2-3 in a couple of seasons in return they have to consider it.

Don't bother with leafs fans. They claim how good gardiner is yet include him in every deal to upgrade their D.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Should have traded Tanev when they had the chance in the off-season....sure he's their best d-man....but with the punishment he takes and with injuries piling up, he won't be nearly as good by the time he's closing in on 30. Do him a favour and trade him to team with legitimate Cup aspirations. I'd even be willing to swallow my pride and see him go to the Leafs.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Philly seems to me the ideal destination for Tanev. That team needs to do something if they want to start competing soon and they have a bunch of prospects that shouldn't have Nylander/Marner levels of apprehension to trade, while still being bluechip enough that they're infinitely better fits for a top pairing D than Kapanen.

I would strongly consider Sanheim or Myers as the centerpiece for a trade. Even Lindblom + would be exciting (although just looked up his stats this year and they're not as promising as I figured they would be given his hype over the summer). No need to bring up Patrick or Provorov or Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Couturier/Ghost

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Amazing how this guy has becomes the trams best Dman after going undrdrafted. He's never going to be appreciated as much by other fan bases than the fan base of the team he plays for. I would only trade Tanev if it was a great great deal.

Probably the best acquisition/signing from the Gillis Era.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
1.) You can't trade Tanev for quantity. Quality Quality Quality. If the asset coming back isn't a Top 10-15 1st round pick or a good (like actually good...not Pouliot or Hutton types) young defenseman under 23 I'm not moving Chris Tanev. Hold firm on quality or expect another repeat of the Kesler trade.

2.)Does anybody actually trust Benning to make a good trade with Tanev???? He was part of Boston when they took spare parts for Seguin. He handled the Kesler trade that netted very little quality. His pro scouting has consistently been horrible and his player evaluations way off. What makes anyone think this guy knows what he's doing??? If he's handling this thing the return will likely be a middling young defenseman and a middling draft pick that both have little chance of being core players in 3 years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Tanev is hurt again.....and of all people Ashton Saunter is on his way from Utica.....what happened to Wiercioch?.....one of Jimbo's UFA signings who apparently gets bypassed for a call-up by an AHL-lifer....oh the indignity of it all!

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
So Tanev is hurt again.....and of all people Ashton Saunter is on his way from Utica.....what happened to Wiercioch?.....one of Jimbo's UFA signings who apparently gets bypassed for a call-up by an AHL-lifer....oh the indignity of it all!
Asset management with Wierchioch. He has already been on the NHL roster for 29 days and if he hits 30 he will be waiver eligible again this year. No sense in doing that if he will just sit in the press box for a few games until either Tanev or Gudbranson come back. Sautner can be the popcorn guy in the press box. If they need a call up to actually play then Wierchioch would get the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad