Chris Summers UFA at season's end (cleared waivers)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
According to Capgeek he's set to become a UFA. Is this correct? How did that happen?

4 years of college played, signed a 2 year ELC, extended for one year. Shouldn't be an UFA unless there's still some loophole out there with college seniors.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chances he re-signs with us?

Considering our depth? It all depends on the availability of a 1 way contract and ownership (or lack thereof) willingness to provide to a 4 A prospect. He's a #5 D man at best and right now he's in the #7 or #8 role and it's not inconceivable that several of our other prospects will leap frog him in another year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd wait to see what happens at the deadline. The Coyotes could end up trading 3 guys (Mo, Yandle, Klesla) if the right price materializes.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think he will become a serviceable #4 dman in the NHL. Has had mixed success with the Coyotes but pretty limited playing time. He has long been one of my favourite prospects.

He is just a victim of the incredible D depth on the Coyotes.

If the Yotes were buyers he would be good trade bait for a veteran forward. Alas, looks like we are sellers. Summers is not the player contenders will be wanting.

Another non-playoff team may want to aquire him for the rest of the year and give him playing time. Maybe he pans out maybe he doesn't.

A trade with Edmonton maybe could work?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think he will become a serviceable #4 dman in the NHL. Has had mixed success with the Coyotes but pretty limited playing time. He has long been one of my favourite prospects.

He is just a victim of the incredible D depth on the Coyotes.

If the Yotes were buyers he would be good trade bait for a veteran forward. Alas, looks like we are sellers. Summers is not the player contenders will be wanting.

Another non-playoff team may want to aquire him for the rest of the year and give him playing time. Maybe he pans out maybe he doesn't.

A trade with Edmonton maybe could work?

Omark?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I still really like this prospect. He's undeniable lost in the shuffle, though. He's not worth trading Schelmko, Stone, or Rundblad for, at this point, and that's a fact. So, we might as well trade him. Sad, but true. I wonder if Detroit would have any interest in the hometown kid? Maybe package him with Klesla? Gustav Nyquist would look great in our line-up, IMO. Tomas Tatar(who might make a great Whitney proxy on the Czech line), too. Detroit actually has a ton of very good, but not great (not overly hyped) forward prospects. Some combo of Klesla, Moss(another Michigan guy), Summers, Tikhonov, and maybe even Connor Murphy to Detroit for a forward or two could work out for both teams, I'd think.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I still really like this prospect. He's undeniable lost in the shuffle, though. He's not worth trading Schelmko, Stone, or Rundblad for, at this point, and that's a fact. So, we might as well trade him. Sad, but true. I wonder if Detroit would have any interest in the hometown kid? Maybe package him with Klesla? Gustav Nyquist would look great in our line-up, IMO. Tomas Tatar(who might make a great Whitney proxy on the Czech line), too. Detroit actually has a ton of very good, but not great (not overly hyped) forward prospects. Some combo of Klesla, Moss(another Michigan guy), Summers, Tikhonov, and maybe even Connor Murphy to Detroit for a forward or two could work out for both teams, I'd think.

You may be on to something here. Nyquist would look good here.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
At this point he has no trade value. I was hoping that Maloney trade CS to a team that'll play (showcase) him for the rest of the year like he did with Montoya, so he would virtually be playing for a NHL contract for next season.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
When do we find out if he clears?

Tomorrow afternoon.

As helpful as it would be for Portland to get him back, I hope somebody picks him up. Would like to see him get a shot to stick somewhere. He's just stuck in a numbers game here that I can't see him winning.

Feb 12, 2003
I think if he was placed on waivers today then we would hear tomorrow around noon if he clears. I fully expect him to clear. He's not a flashy player and unless someone really has a weak 3rd pairing and they liked Summers I just don't see him getting claimed. Even if we did lose him it's clearly not a critical loss as there was very little of a trade market for him to begin with so it wasn't an asset management issue. There are plenty of bodies in the system to fill in and give a chance if people go down.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I'll be pretty upset if the he gets claimed. Management knew fully well our D situation and if we end up losing this guy for nothing that's just terrible asset management. Not saying he's worth the moon or anything, I just wish they had addressed this problem before it became a problem.

On the other hand, the guy deserves his shot and getting claimed would probably be best for him to get some real NHL time. Gotta root for the guy

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I'll be pretty upset if the he gets claimed. Management knew fully well our D situation and if we end up losing this guy for nothing that's just terrible asset management. Not saying he's worth the moon or anything, I just wish they had addressed this problem before it became a problem.

On the other hand, the guy deserves his shot and getting claimed would probably be best for him to get some real NHL time. Gotta root for the guy

To be honest, we probably couldn't get much value for Summers in a trade.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

Who is going to trade for Chris Summers? He's a replacement level player on a one-way deal. He could have been signed as an unrestricted free agent a few months ago.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I said that I wouldn't have expected much in return for him. But we gave him a 1-way contract, I'd rather get a 4-5th round pick than nothing. Just asset management (no matter how small the asset). But you're probably right he's not worth too much. I doubt he's claimed anyway since as you mentioned no one else seemed interested during the summer.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like Summers a lot. I think he will go the way of Johnny Boychuk or Jay Harrison. He will take a long time to get there, but he will eventually be a solid citizen in the NHL.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
I was wondering what we were going to do when Klesla was on his way back, would've put us at 24 bodies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->