Confirmed Signing with Link: Chris Stewart to Slovan Bratislava (KHL)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was very well liked in MN.
Weird player. Would look like a middle six player for brief stretches, a 4th liner for others, and a bench player the rest of the time. Tough strong guy who was mediocre at physical play, seemingly deficient hockey IQ 90% of the time, but that other 10% he showed off some nice hands, vision, and offensive imagination. Very tough guy, of course, who could fight with the best, especially when motivated.

Good luck, Stew!

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
He was very well liked in MN.
Weird player. Would look like a middle six player for brief stretches, a 4th liner for others, and a bench player the rest of the time. Tough strong guy who was mediocre at physical play, seemingly deficient hockey IQ 90% of the time, but that other 10% he showed off some nice hands, vision, and offensive imagination. Very tough guy, of course, who could fight with the best, especially when motivated.

Good luck, Stew!

He always had all the tools, he just could get them all to click at the same time, there were stretches in St Louis were he looked amazing but to many stretches were you forgot he was even on the team. Always seemed like a good guy, I just wished he could have put it all together. I'm surprised he couldn't find a 4th line job somewhere.

Reactions: stlwahoo

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sort of like a low rent Thomas Vanek who could punch real good. Was actually faster than Vanek, though that is faint praise.

Was surprisingly good on SO's. Was often uninterested in fighting, but realized he had to do it. You could see by the expression on his face that he didn't want to, except in rare occasions where he had to stand up for teammates. I remember him pasting Crouse after he had decided to aggressively facewash Koivu after a whistle. He was all business there.

I think the faster pace of the game, combined with the lesser importance of fighting, made him redundant. I didn't see any big diminishment of his skills, such as they were.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Real shame. The fact that he didn't play nearly as much organized hockey growing up as most NHLers seemed to shine through with both Chris and Anthony. Very talented, but just never could figure out where to be or how to use the big frame. He did have a lethal backhand shot IIRC. Could elevate it in an instant and pick corners. Good luck to him. Always seemed like a good dude, just not really a high quality NHLer.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If you click on the link, and the Google translate button pops up, I suggest clicking it.

"SHE WAS TRANSFERRED FROM THE NHL, CHRIS STEWART TO THE TEAM

THE CANADIAN STRIKER HAS NEARLY 700 MATCHES IN THE NHL."

:laugh:

Safe to say google translate is never to be trusted as reliable.

Striker?
tumblr_n7hwq3KPul1r67zo4o1_400.gif

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I like Stewie, but his NHL time is done. 10 games of high quality play a year is about all he really has in him. The rest of the year it's mostly wondering why he was taking up a roster spot. He just never bought into the physical/grinder play.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He will do fine if he has any desire to be successful. Does he though? He didn't seem to be motivated even playing in the NHL most of the time, I'm afraid he will just be mailing it in in the KHL.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He's a legit triggerman. Fast. Stands up for a teammate and more ofthen than not Fights smart to change the tempo of the game. Slot him into a single role, don't ask him to think too much and the guy will surprise you. He will never be an all-around player, lack of youth development shines through but consider that he and his brother came from a very tough background, the fact they made the NHL has always stood out for me as a story that you can do anything if you devote yourself to it. That alone makes him and Anthony winners in my book. I hope he finds success overseas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad