Chris Stewart retires

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
He seemed like a great team guy during his time in Buffalo on some pretty bad teams. It's too bad he couldn't sustain his play as a premier power forward after being traded to St. Louis.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Clearly isn’t an issue with being overseas... as for a family issue, who knows.

—-

Only just seen this thread started 3 Oct 18 :laugh;
Maybe language and a culture closer to US was an issue.

Or maybe he genuinely thought at the time that he wouldn’t be playing again for whatever reason. To choose “retire” any other way would be weird, unless it was a creative excuse by the club and him

Either way with personal stuff like that we probably wouldn’t find out if he’s private. Hopefully it was nothing too bad either way.

Last edited:

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Stewart arrived in Nottingham last night and has been on the ice for team practice this morning. The photo could just be deceiving but he appears to be packing a few more pounds than when he was in the NHL, which is no real surprise but hopefully it doesn't take him long to get his feet back.

It is believed that his brother, Anthony and a good friend of his who also plays for Nottingham, Kevin Henderson were responsible for him signing with Nottingham.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
[MOD]
Publicly, it never came out exactly what the issues were. They were bad enough to keep Stewart outside of the professional game until now, and bad enough where he only managed to get 1 game in a senior league. But it appears whatever issue it was is either resolved or quietened down enough for him to resume playing hockey, albeit at a very poor level in comparison to the NHL though. The British League is ECHL standard but with abysmal referees.

I'm not going to defend what he did in letting Bratislava down though as that was very poor by him and his agent but hopefully he will stick around here in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: egelband

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
But England is not Slovakia. Especially for an American. Language, street signs, the rhythms of life are all more similar. For some guys that’s too much

We have now and had in previos years a lot former NHL-ers in Slovan: Chechoo, Boychuk, Taffe, Cam Barker, Chipchura... for example Chechoo said that Bratislava is fine place for life. Its only 60 km to Vienna and Prague 300 km. Yes, Slovan have financial problems for now, but according to these Canadians in media, there is a background in Slovan at the NHL level.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
We have now and had in previos years a lot former NHL-ers in Slovan: Chechoo, Boychuk, Taffe, Cam Barker, Chipchura... for example Chechoo said that Bratislava is fine place for life. Its only 60 km to Vienna and Prague 300 km. Yes, Slovan have financial problems for now, but according to these Canadians in media, there is a background in Slovan at the NHL level.

You don’t have to sell me. Never been to Slovakia, but I love Slovenia, Austria, Hungary and Czech Republic. I’m just suggesting that not everybody loves living in a country where they can’t speak the language and the rhythms of daily life are different from home.

Reactions: egelband

Stevonidas

Wanna go pretty boy?
Jul 14, 2007
The Lone Star State
CS%20Training.png

Howdy there, Chris Tkachuk.

Shared a bag of chips with him one time
Lays? Obviously he didn't eat just one.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
He became the new Gary Roberts for soft playoff teams: that guy you try to get at the trade deadline but never do.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
CS%20Training.png

Howdy there, Chris Tkachuk.

Lays? Obviously he didn't eat just one.
The club did an extended interview with him yesterday, about 8 minutes long, and he sounds genuinely glad to be back playing and is relishing the pressure he'll have put on him. It was also mentioned that on his first shot in training he went bar-down. Plays his first game tonight vs. Fife Flyers and it's Stewart's shirt off his back for the raffle, he's wearing #55 and the raffle is expected to sell out.

Been in the country barely 2/3 days and already the club will make about £5,000+ just from having his jersey in the raffle!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The club did an extended interview with him yesterday, about 8 minutes long, and he sounds genuinely glad to be back playing and is relishing the pressure he'll have put on him. It was also mentioned that on his first shot in training he went bar-down. Plays his first game tonight vs. Fife Flyers and it's Stewart's shirt off his back for the raffle, he's wearing #55 and the raffle is expected to sell out.

Been in the country barely 2/3 days and already the club will make about £5,000+ just from having his jersey in the raffle!

He's a 31 year old millionaire, with a good buddy on the team. He's probably there to party, as much as he is to play hockey.

He's given up on his hockey career. Players don't go to the U.K. if they plan on continuing a pro hockey career.

I watched Stewart when he was first coming into the league with Colorado. Tons of skill, and toughness. Wicked shot. He wasted a lot of the career he could have had, but now he's a millionaire living in the UK and still gets to play half decent hockey for fun.

I'm sure he'll be a star player, and will get all the attention he wants. Not a bad way to go about things.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
You don’t have to sell me. Never been to Slovakia, but I love Slovenia, Austria, Hungary and Czech Republic. I’m just suggesting that not everybody loves living in a country where they can’t speak the language and the rhythms of daily life are different from home.

I understand this. I just want to say, there are season after season 2 - 3 or more Canadians or Americans in Slovan (Gélinas, Bailey, Chipchura, Rau and Taffe for now). I supposed that would help him with acclimatization.

Nottingham is interesting. There is former Atlanta Trashers goalie Michael Garnett (1 season in KHL Slovan Bratislava, very popular with fans), former AHL and Detroit 2011 pick Marek Tvrdon (after leaving North America also played few games for Slovan) and Stewart now.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I understand this. I just want to say, there are season after season 2 - 3 or more Canadians or Americans in Slovan (Gélinas, Bailey, Chipchura, Rau and Taffe for now). I supposed that would help him with acclimatization.

Nottingham is interesting. There is former Atlanta Trashers goalie Michael Garnett (1 season in KHL Slovan Bratislava, very popular with fans), former AHL and Detroit 2011 pick Marek Tvrdon (after leaving North America also played few games for Slovan) and Stewart now.
I think he's referring to the population, rather than the players on the team. How is he going to chase girls around eastern Europe if he can't speak the language?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad