News Article: Chris Pryor discusses prospect Gostisbehere

unionhockeynews

Mar 27, 2013
I spoke with director of hockey operations Chris Pryor regarding Flyers prospect Shayne Gostisbehere. He talked about how Gostisbehere landed on their radar, his strengths, where he needs to improve, his long term upside, and more.

You can find the article here.

I've seen Gostisbehere extensively in his two years at Union. I'm at just about all Union home games and a road game here and there. The breakthrough happened in the second half of last year and has continued through now. I think he had a bit of an adjustment period coming back from Russia in January, but that's understandable. He has picked it up again with 9 points in his last 9 games.... at the most important time of the year.

He seems like a good kid, too. I've spoke to him a few times for the blog, including earlier today for something going up on Friday.

I have no inside info on this, but I think he'll probably do another year of college before he goes pro. He's only a sophomore now, a 19 year old one at that. He's the second youngest player on the team, younger than all the freshmen Union has, by a year or two in some cases. Another year at the college level and another year to get a little bigger will help him get ready for the pros. He's one to get excited about, though. There's definitely NHL potential with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Thanks for posting.

Very excited about Shayne. He has a skillset at D that a Flyers prospect hasn't had in some time.

Nuclear

Jun 15, 2004
PA
Let's not rush him. Another year at Union, then maybe a half year to a year for the Phantoms would be great for his development. Even if we think he's ready, the jump from a college schedule to an 82 game NHL schedule is rough. Matt Read disappeared the second half of his first season, and a defenseman plays longer minutes than Read.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Let him play with Union next season. Then sign him and let him finish out the season with the Phantoms. And then in 14-15 let him play full time with the Phantoms and bring him up with the Flyers if he is ready or as a fill in for injuries throughout the season to get some experieince

Reduxs

Jun 25, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Let's not rush him. Another year at Union, then maybe a half year to a year for the Phantoms would be great for his development. Even if we think he's ready, the jump from a college schedule to an 82 game NHL schedule is rough. Matt Read disappeared the second half of his first season, and a defenseman plays longer minutes than Read.

Matt Read is also 27.

Zinnny

Mar 28, 2013
I went to Union last year and actually lived next door to Shayne. He seems to have a ton of potential. I don't know if any of you saw him in the ECAC tournament, but he was extremely good. He handles the puck very well, and the Union system promotes the defense to jump into the play, while the forwards will cycle back and cover the point. He looked good last weekend.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Thank you for the article. It's great to see how the Flyers brass values him and thinks of his game. I also love that the Flyers don't like to compare him to other players. I have always been a fan of letting the player become who they are instead of putting that pressure on them. I also am glad that Pryor considers him a "blue chipper". They see he has all the potential in the world, and is worth being excited about. Hopefully they let the kid develop like Giroux did. Give him the time he needs to be ready for the NHL instead of rushing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: